What's new

"Now Showing"

Jer

Strata Poster
This book was out in middle school for me I think, If I was doing anything with my computer other than RCT2, Runescape, or Kitten Cannon I'll be damned! I cant really vouch for any one else though.

edit: I lied this was before middle school, this was at least 4th grade, because I remember i was starting 5th grade in 2001. So I didn't even use the computer much back then.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, I'm doing that sarcasm without emotion thing again; the paedophile thing was a joke...

Best review some films I guess...

Have I don High Fidelity yet? Thought not. John Cusak, with some more Cusaks and Jack Black, how bad could it be? It has semi-decent reviews despite the cast going against it...

It's such an odd film though. There's no way you can really like or relate to Cusak's protagonist. He's just annoying, in fact, most of the film is pretty annoying, and not just the bits with Jack Black in them (does he ever play any other character besides "The Annoying Jack Black"? ).

Yet oddly, both myself and Madame_furie sat there glued to the entire film. It could be because there was so much vinyl in it, and we were transported back to our teenage days spent in smoky record stores... I don't know, but we even paused it when going for wee and tea breaks. So there's "something" about the film, but we both agreed we didn't know what and that it annoyed us both generally. Possibly we carried on watching it to give us something to bitch about.

Anyway, if you dislike John Cusak and/or Jack Black (which I hope it 90%+ of you) then don't believe the reviews, it's worse than 7/10 :)

Also watched Tangled finally. I was disappointed with The Princess and the Frog, so was curious as to what Disney could do with their latest "Pixar-embedded" CGI movie. Well, the horse was superb. The Chameleon was also pretty good, and every so often there was something with a bit of a "Beauty and the Beast" spark about it, but it just never really reached full potential. I'll give it an A for effort, but overall, 7/10. Best. Horse. Ever. Though :)

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Quick, I'll get in before Vadge and say how the book of Hi-Fidelity was based on the Music & Video Exchange in Soho, and is superbly better than the film (except for Cathrine Zeta Jones obviously <3).

I do like the film though. I guess it's just something about the top 10 lists that is so amazingly human. I have a friend who isn't really a music buff, to whom I was trying to explain how mix cds are just not the same as mix tapes, and played him this film to try and explain. I think he got the point.

Anyway, go read more Nick Hornby (if you haven't already). If not this, then A Long Way Down, which is epic! (about a group of people who meet on the top of a building at New Year's and talk each other out of jumping off!) Right, I'm actually going to go re-read that tonight cos I haven't read it in ages, and it's just awesome!

EDIT: Sorry - do we have a book thread? I'm obviously not at home in this topic lol!!

EDIT, EDIT: The book is set in Camden in a fictitious shop, I can't remember where I heard the connection with Berwick Street. Maybe I just came up with that, I can't remember now...

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The only HP movie that didn't suck complete monkey balls was 7 P1. I didn't know you could make a movie off a book with leaving basically everything everyone deems important out and just focus on awkward facial expressions the entire movie. Granted I will be seeing Part 2 at midnight but in 2D because I don't want another reason to be depressed.

Watched Swingers last night.

Young Vince Vaughn and Jon Farveau, thought it would be funnier. I think something happened to Vaughn in the movie, because he always calls all his bromances in the movie baby, and I think this movie started it. I think he got brain damage so he couldn't remember anyones name so he just called them baby. Or he read the script and got brain damage. for a 15 year old movie called swingers, the definition has apparently changed since then, since it correctly should have been called. Baby, lets blow this joint because we think we are cooler than we are. Right baby? Okay baby lets ditch this place.

Only good thing was Vince Vaughn ate in this movie, further fueling my conspiracy theory that in his contract he has to eat in the movie, just like Will Ferrell has to take off his shirt. Love it.

3/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sue:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12010&start=588

I think the film had something, it's just that Cusak and Black rub me up the wrong way (and even CZJ wasn't good in this, not even that decent eye candy). So when you take into account two of the leads are bad, the film falls apart. As I said, we did watch it right through, so the actual film and story must have something good about it to make it worth suffering that pair for two hours. I can see how as a book it would really work, and if you've read the book, you are probably more forgiving?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Blast, I just started a new one! In my defense, it did dwindle out a year ago!

As for HF, I think it's an odd choice to try and make into a film. In their defense, I think they did well with something that, lets face it, is mainly just someone's thoughts. Jack Black is annoying (except in Be Kind Rewind, which I love, but then that's so zanny that he suits the role very well). Not had too much experience of Cusak myself, but didn't think he was too bad in HF. He's good at the whole brooding/moody emotions

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
No idea why the Cusaks annoy me, they just do (the whole lot of them) :lol:

At least they're not Julia Roberts who should have been culled at birth, or Hugh Grant, they could have got shut of both in one go on the set of Notting Hill, such a wasted potential opportunity missed there.

I love Be Kind Rewind - it's brilliantly off-the-wall and even JB couldn't ruin it (as you say, he seemed to fit quite well there, but he is still Jack Black).

Yeah, we'll use your book thread now Sue, as it will also vanish without a trace because nobody here can read ;)

Nic

Strata Poster
Mysterious Sue said:
Quick, I'll get in before Vadge and say how the book of Hi-Fidelity was based on the Music & Video Exchange in Soho, and is superbly better than the film
LOL! This. Kinda. I think it was actually based on, and mentioned, the one in Camden (which, I believe, is no longer there? Or is it the Berwick St one that went? Or both? OMG, I'm so out of touch!)

You also forgot to mention the immortal line "Why does the film/TV industry insist on making everything American?"

Anyway, I know what Phil means about the film. It's crap, but ultimately impossible to hate. It goes on faaaaaaar too long. The Cusack (they're always in films together, so I treat them as a single entity) is really **** annoying. I don't find Jack Black as repulsive as you obviously do, but I know what you mean. I think the real star of this film, and one often overlooked, is Todd Louiso. He's faaaaaaaabbbb <3

So, yeah. Hmmm, I've not watched it for ages. Might have to just to see if that's still what I think of it.

PS. Fun fact: This was among the first couple of DVDs that I ever bought

jokerman

Giga Poster
Whoa, other people that like Be Kind Rewind. I've only ever heard people say bad things about that film, but I think it's great.

Anyway, whenever it's on TV, I make a point of watching In The Loop.

Armando Ianucci has done some very funny stuff, but I think this is his best. For anyone who doesn't know, it's a satirisation of events leading up to the Iraq war, focusing on people who actually make the decisions and difference. And it has quite a lot of swearing.

It's still available on BBC iPlayer for a few days I think. Anyway, it's one of my favourite films ever.

9/10

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I think Be Kind Rewind is liked by music buffs. Also, it's a harmless family film. I'd put it in with films like 'the Frighteners' which are not actually that good, but are so fun and re-watchable they become favorites anyway.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Super 8

Saw it yesterday, still trying to decide if I liked it or not. Something about JJ Abrams and all his damn monsters looking very similar though, granted that is what he goes for, so there you go. Knowing that all the kids in the movie had zero acting experience before, they did a great job. It had an anti-ET feel to it, and I had referred to it as ET 2 as a joke since Spielberg was attached. I do think it is worth watching, it was pretty intense at parts, and couple of nice bloody deaths for a PG-13 movie.

7/10

nealbie

CF Legend
Going to see Harry Potter 7.2 at one minute past midnight tomorrow morning! It'll be crap like the last 5, but I feel obliged as it's another one of those "closing the doors on part of my childhood" kinda moments.

Dawwwww, how disgustingly soppy.

Quite excited tbh. =D

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Harry Potter 7B (2D)

I loved the books, and the 7A was the first movie to really FOLLOW the book. I was happy they split this book and thought they should have done that since the 5th. The movies were **** up until 7A. Well, I was not fully impressed with this one. I saw it in 2D as I am boycotting non shot 3D movies. Glad I did. The parts that were "meant to be" 3D, looked absolutely horrible and cartoonish and was the reason I am boycotting. Besides that, it just seemed to be missing something. I don't know but some of the key things didn't seem right. I enjoyed it, but it was not the "96%" that Rotten Tomatoes said, not by a long shot. That being said I am seeing it again on Wednesday, so maybe I will enjoy it more that time, but hopefully in about 10 years we can see a decent reboot...

B-

RCF

Strata Poster
HP7P2

What I expected. Way to go out with a bang Harry. Had some problems, but the movie was very very good anyways. Alan Rickman <3333333

9.5/10

coasterboy

Mega Poster
Harry Potter 7 P2

Very impressive, despite a few problems
in particular the choice of music during the courtyard apocalypse, felt very unfitting

A fitting ending to the series :--D

9.5/10

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Some good bits, some dodgy bits (some of the CGI :mellow:) and some nice set-pieces brought this together... However, I feel like this film JUMPED so damn much, and many scenes needed more in a very general state of mind...

However, the really emotional scenes, were PERFECTLY dealt with... Simple and effective was the way forward, and it really really worked on that level..

I do think a Director's Cut will make this film damn near perfect... Just a bit lacking in several scenes which just seemed to... Well END... Oh wells...

7.5/10

And finally, I WANT THE GRINGOTTS CREDDDDDD!!!!11

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Away from Harry Potter, here are the films I've seen since last posting:

Bad Teacher. It definitely needed a lesson in comedy. The story was a bit over-the-top, the comedy was seemingly non-existent (I laughed once...and that was at a toilet joke...I know, I'm disappointed in myself) and overall it just wasn't very good. It'd have been better billed a drama to be honest...

5/10

I watched Good Night, and Good Luck which was based around the ideas surrounding McCarthyism and the fall of it and it is considered an important part of recent American history (what a good day to watch it - 4th July, USA Independence Day :p). I know a good amount about McCarthyism and the film was a brilliant piece of docu-drama with excellent acting all around, stylistically shot in black and white and beautifully directed. I love the jazzy soundtrack heard throughout the film which really added to the atmosphere of the film itself.

A great watch - 8/10

X-Men: First Class. I'd been reluctant to go see this despite all the good reviews for a few reasons: 1) I like to see films in the order they were made, and if a prequel follows after a series of films, I'd have liked to have seen the series first - I have seen none of the X-Men films in full. 2) It's in the IMDB top 250, and I feared that I wouldn't enjoy it as much without seeing the other films (I've been assured by many for weeks it stands as a film on its own) and 3) I don't like action/comic-book type films too much.

However, I was surprised. It was actually better than I anticipated, the action was very good, it took a little while to get going, but I ended up quite enjoying it. I think it's not IMDB Top 250-worthy (I thought that for Star Trek too - another 'prequel') but it was definitely a good film.

8/10

Rain Man was very '80s, and the first thing that stood out for me was the cheesy, electronic score from Hans Zimmer. Thank goodness he's as epic as he is now, and that was a bad early start to film scores :p The film itself was quite good - I really got into it, the acting was superb (even from Tom Cruise :|) and I really engaged with the characters. Great to watch.

8/10

The Tree of Life. People I know who have seen it have either not enjoyed it or wanted to walk out, and I could see why from the outset. Unlike most films, its intentions are not to entertain, nor are they to please, to make you laugh, to cry, but it is a film which both amazes and you and leaves you to ponder.

The first hour of the film is slow - very slow. With seemingly little-to-no plot and an array of confusing and seemingly unrelated shots and voice-overs, the film really does not come into its own. the film can be credited for simply superb visuals of space, creation of life, the universe and everything and the amazing story that is told itself without any dialogue whatsoever. This cumulates with the ultimate death and destruction of the universe later in the film. However, it is all about the visuals and no wonder it can be deemed slow, pointless and boring by some viewers.

The second half of the film focussed on a 1950s family, particularly at the relationships between the characters. Although focus is on the children, the father (played by Bard Pitt) and the relationship he has with the children as a figure of solitude and also of punishment is key to the development of the children throughout the lives - we are shown at various points of the film a middle-aged version of one of the children unable to cope, feeling very lost and isolated in a now developed and modern world. Another relationship which is significant is between that of the mother and the father - mother providing the caring role to the children, often quiet and with no voice to speak above the father, having to reluctantly see her children punished by her husband when she knows they don't deserve it. The fathers willingness for his children to succeed when he put his dreams aside and ultimately didn't drives the fathers over-the-top punishment to the children.

The last segment of the film looks at life moving on - the family move ship leading to a series of confusing, charming and very surrealist scenes.

The whole film itself is beautiful from start to finish - it is clear to see that care has been taken to create a visually stunning film, both with the use of the camera and the mind-boggling visuals. It is, however, a film which has been created not for your general cinema-goer - expect not to be entertained while watching this film, expect not for a film which makes sense, expect not a film that you can sit back comfortably in your chair with your popcorn and view with your mates. This is a film for film fans - this is a film for those who wish to view a piece of art, to open their minds and to explore the depths of film-making. The silence of the audience from the moment the credits started rolling until we left the screening reflects the masterpiece's pure amazement.

8/10

Holy Rollers. This film only ever got released because of Jesse Eisenberg's success with The Social Network last year, and if I'm honest, Holy Rollers wasn't that good. It felt as if instead of me being able to engage with the story, the story was just shown in front of me and I was only able to sit and watch. I couldn't engage with the characters, the story wasn't strong nor interesting enough and the film just didn't feel entertaining in the slightest. A shame, as it had a lot of potential.

5/10

Mega Snake. It was dreadful - the plot was predictable, badly written and was laughable. The CGI was terrible - I can make better on After Effects. The acting was poor and it dragged on for the whole 90 mins, however, what else do you expect from a crappy B-movie anyway? :p In the end, it become so bad it was somewhat enjoyable. Worth the £1 I paid for it.

3.5/10

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. I enjoyed it quite a lot actually - very good plot, excellently done, well directed, slick and quite funny. I liked the narration-style and Robert Downey Jr. actually did a very good job. I'd recommend this film, it has everything!

8/10

nadroJ

CF Legend
Just got back from seeing Potter. I loved it, which is strange because I've always come out of the other ones feeling like the film had majorly missed the point in at least one way or another. I felt the level of macabre was perfect, there was enough bloodshed and death shown to fully portray how evil Voldemort actually is, something I feel the previous films have more or less avoided, which was good.

I can't get over how emotional the whole thing was. The sense of righteousness throughout almost brought me to tears. The best characters for this were the entire Weasley family (so tragic =[), Neville (who is just such a perfect underdog it's stupid!) and Professor McGonogall (her devotion to Hogwarts and protecting it and its students is just amazing). I love a good fight scene anyway but the battle of Hogwarts is one of the best I've seen for me, purely because of how much I actually care about the characters due to reading the books so many times.

One disappointing thing about this film is the fact that it shows just how good a film the Potter books have the potential to be. The rest of them are crap in my opinion. They're trimmed down so much to try and fit into a watchable length of film that they end up completely skipping some really crucial parts of the story, or they fail to emphasise the importance or relevance of a certain character or event. I've always been to see these films with people who haven't read the books and every time have had to fill in the blanks for them. Characters like Bellatrix, Fenrir Greyback and especially Voldemort are not made to seem as evil as they are, and so when they do these terrible things they're nowhere near as impacting as they should be. Which is a shame. Oh well, at least this film rounded of the series spectacularly.