What's new

"Now Showing"

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
kimahri said:
Cial. Watch both volume 1 and 2 of Kill Bill and then rate them as one movie not 1 at a time.

I'll be watching Volume 2 very shortly - I can see why Tarentino cut them into 2 already, but it would have been nice to have them both together in yet another Tarentino epic. Oh well - will post as soon as I watch it both as an individual film and them both together as "one".

kimahri

CF Legend
I think Kill Bill is one of those movies that you need to watch both Vol 1 and Vol 2 back to back otherwhys you get awesome part 1 and lackluster part 2 from trying to peice everything together.

In other news i just found Afro Samurai, Forgot I bought that...

Nic

Strata Poster
ciallkennett said:
I'd actually rank it as my second least favourite Pixar film (ranking below Ratatouille and Cars but above Antz) - but all Pixar is amazing :)
*headdesk*

marc

CF Legend
I saw the Senna film the other week and I thought it was fantastic.

What shocked me was how busy the cinema was as I thought not many people would be interested. No one spoke at all during the film, everyone just sat there and watched and even stayed until the credits had finished.

The film was well put together and there was a good balance between car action and out of car action.

Being a fan I knew the whole Prost FIA thing anyway, I remember it taking place like it was yesterday. What I did not know was just how much of a **** Jean the head of the FIA really was, nasty nasty man.

I left the cinema wanting more though there was huge sections missing, near enough everything from 1991-1993. Maybe there will be more on the DVD.

Anyway it was very good and I look forward to the DVD so I can see it again.

For me 9.5/10.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Lots more films from Ciall:

Went to see Stake Land which is yet another churned out post-apocalyptic film, this time with vampires. How original. The story flowed, the action flowed, but it hardly stood out among all the post-apocalyptic films that seem to come out in phases. The ending was a little lacklustre too, leaving me feeling ever more disappointed. However, if you like you standard post-apoc vampire flicks (with the gore and without the Twilight, thankfully) then you'll enjoy it.

6/10

Watched Goodfellas which I had seen about 30 minutes of before and left me gawping wanting more as I loved it. The rest of the film failed to disappoint, and it's brilliantly shot, has great narrative and the story is great. The character development was brilliant and I felt like I was on a journey with the characters too. Excellence!

9/10

Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 was just as great as the first. Humour, action, flowing narrative, good acting from (most) of the cast and just a really nice film to watch. It's so rare to see a live-action kids film which is aimed just at kids, is enjoyed just by kids and isn't a churned out animation which tries to appeal to both kids and adult but usually doesn't quite do it. As a big 18 year old kid myself, I loved it just as much as the first and I'm hoping for a 3rd which I'm sure will come around in a year or two :)

6/10

Watched V for Vendetta. I was unsure at first what to make of the film as it at times resembled and looked like a one-off drama produced by the BBC and not a film, but as I got more into it, I thought less of that. It had a good story, held well, but it didn't have the "wow" factor until the very end where there were lots of explosions (I don't want to potentially give away anything, though it is obvious what scene I am talking about even if you know little of the film). I felt myself trying to justify why many class it as amazing, when I'd say it was most definitely above average but not in the "amazing" category. It gets a solid rating though which reflects my enjoyment and how good I thought the film was.

8/10

Watched Singin' in the Rain. I was unsure whether I would enjoy it as I tend to dislike most musicals, but I shocked myself in finding it brilliant. the story was great, it had geeky historical references to when the change from silent film to "talkies" occurred and the songs were actually brilliant as well as the dancing. It brought a real smile to my face and was a pleasure to watch and enjoy.

8.5/10

I watched The Usual Suspects. I have to admit, it took a little while for me to get into the film, but once I did, it only got better and better. The screenplay was brilliant, the ending is just excellent and I never guessed it, the acting all around was great and it was well directed. A good, solid film.

9/10

Watched Kung Fu Panda as it was on TV and I'm likely to be seeing the second one sooner or later at the cinema. I have to admit, I feel the film was a tad overrated. The animation - like all Dreamworks animation - was good, the story was ok, but I felt there were too few laughs in the film. I could see the attempts at humour, but a lot of it just didn't work and didn't make me laugh. I have to admit, the film as a whole hasn't made me want to rush out and watch the second, which is a shame, but it's still a good, solid family animation.

7/10

I watched Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I loved the dark humour throughout, the story wasn't the best but was fluent and constructed well, the acting was good and the film as a whole felt complete. I liked the cliffhanger (or bridgehanger) at the end - I thought that was a good way of ending the film.

8/10

I'm done...for now.

kimahri

CF Legend
ciallkennett said:
Watched V for Vendetta. I was unsure at first what to make of the film as it at times resembled and looked like a one-off drama produced by the BBC and not a film, but as I got more into it, I thought less of that. It had a good story, held well, but it didn't have the "wow" factor until the very end where there were lots of explosions (I don't want to potentially give away anything, though it is obvious what scene I am talking about even if you know little of the film). I felt myself trying to justify why many class it as amazing, when I'd say it was most definitely above average but not in the "amazing" category. It gets a solid rating though which reflects my enjoyment and how good I thought the film was.

8/10

http://myfacewhen.com/158/

RATE IT HIGHER D:<

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nah, he's about right with V. It starts utterly, gobsmackingly brilliant. Then it descends into "good TV drama" territory and ends well. The middle though is good, but it never delivers as much as it promises and just doesn't have high enough production values.

Good film, great "product", falls short :)

I too watched Kung Fu Panda, because people keep going on about how good it is. So, I think "I must have been having a bad day when I saw it because I thought it was a bit pants". Nah, everyone else is wrong, it's mediocre animation by numbers and Ciall is right with his 7/10 there too.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
furie said:
Nah, he's about right with V. It starts utterly, gobsmackingly brilliant. Then it descends into "good TV drama" territory and ends well. The middle though is good, but it never delivers as much as it promises and just doesn't have high enough production values.

Good film, great "product", falls short :)

I too watched Kung Fu Panda, because people keep going on about how good it is. So, I think "I must have been having a bad day when I saw it because I thought it was a bit pants". Nah, everyone else is wrong, it's mediocre animation by numbers and Ciall is right with his 7/10 there too.

Yay for double agreement from furie :)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Green Lantern (in 3D)

The 3D was great, the effects were great (until one of the very last scenes) but sadly, those were the only two great things about the movie. It was enjoyable, worth seeing (definitely in 3D) but, the entire movie kept building and building for this epic fight at the end, and then, like a lap dance, it came up short. The final battle was maybe 3 minutes? It did serve its purpose as a great introduction to the character of the Green Lantern, but it fell short. Blake Lively is of course, smoking. Ryan Reynolds did a good job again, and the sequel has a lot of potential to build off of this one.

7/10

peep

CF Legend
Saw a few films yesterday at the cinema. First up was Green Lantern in 2D.

I spend so much money on 3D films and so many are just not worth it, this looked like one of them. Watching it in 2D however I could tell that a total of two scenes would have looked cool in 3D but the rest of the film would have just been pointeless in it.

Anyway the film? I agree with tomahawKSU. It's great building up this story but then the 'epic' showdown lasts just a few minutes and just leaves you feeling a bit meh about the whole thing. The acting was alright and the special effects were mainly pretty good but I still can't get over how silly the Green Lantern suits look. Overall I just feel a bit 'meh' about this one.

Rating: 3/5

Next up was the poorly rated Bad Teacher.

The trailers made it look great fun, a teacher who shouts and swears at kids? Sounds like a right laugh, unfortunately any laughs were to be seen in the trailer and nothing was really left for the actual film, shame. It just felt a bit flat, don't really know how to explain it, just didn't feel as good/funny as it should have been.

Rating: 2/5

Ended the day with Potiche (Trophy Wife).

It's the new film by French writer/director of 8 Women (which is brilliant, if you haven't seen it, you should). It's really good with some amusing moments throughout and you just gotta love Catherine Deneuve who is just fantastic. Just a very enjoyable and feel-good film :D

Rating: 4/5

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I just quickly wanted to say that I saw Bridesmaids again last night (came out yesterday but I had an advanced screening weeks ago) and it was just as funny - if not funnier - second time around. Each joke worked just as well even though you knew it. Simply brilliant film and nothing like you'd expect. Most people expect it to be a girly chick-flickly comedy film, but it really isn't. Everybody I've seen it with has come out and wanted to see it again.

Go see it. Now.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
ciallkennet said:
I had an advanced screening weeks ago

OMG, you're amazing!

Just watched Mildred Pierce again to remind myself of how the character should be played before I subject myself to the horror of watching Kate Winslet butcher it in the remake I'm about to see.

Film - 8/10
Joan Crawford - 10/10

Ben

CF Legend
gavin said:
before I subject myself to the horror of watching Kate Winslet butcher it in the remake I'm about to see.

Lets place bets on how many minutes it'll take for her to get her minge out!

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Probably before the titles even come up. They'll have a muff shot as she gives birth to that fab bitch of a daughter.

Dave

CF Legend
The King's Speech

I really enjoyed the film, a great cast all round. I really enjoyed the interactions between the characters, especially George VI and his father George V. Charming to watch and beautifully shot.

9/10

Coasterfreck

Hyper Poster
Transformers: Dark Of The Moon (also known as Transformers 3) is the 2011 film in the Transformers film series, directed by Michael Bay and produced by Steven Spielberg.
Transformers_dark_of_the_moon_ver5.jpg

It is the sequel to Transformers and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and is scheduled for release on June 29, 2011. The film will be presented in regular 2D, Real D 3D and IMAX, featuring Dolby Surround 7.1 sound.

Bay has stated this would be the last installment in the series.

Here is the Official Trailer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHRf01Gjosk[/youtube]

tomahawk

Strata Poster
^A little unnecessary even in terms for the guy who has autobot logos covering his Ford logos on his truck. Yes, we get that the movie comes out next week, also this one was shot in 3D, not converted, and Paramount spent an extra $40 million or so on it to be done correctly and not a **** post job like Harry Potter is getting which will make it almost impossible to see. Will the $40 million make it a better movie? Possibly. Will it still be just another Michael Bay movie where **** blows up almost the entire time? Yes.

Transformers 3 aka Popcorn movie.