What's new

"Now Showing"

FloridaTix

Roller Poster
Finally saw the Hangover 2 as well. Like most people here thought it was going to be a bore after reading some reviews, but was actually pleasently surprised. Had some good laughs throughout although the plot did re-tread from the first film and didn't add anything original as such.

It was all about the photos at the end credits though!

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Just watched Black Dynamite the other day, thought it was pretty funny. It's a niche film to be sure, but it's good at what it does.

8/10

peep

CF Legend
^Yay, another lover of Black Dynamite :D

Saw X Men: First Class earlier.

I've been looking forward to this since it was announced and because it's another X Men film and I just love the whole World of X Men, think it's rather cool. It helped a lot that I love all the lead actors in it and I think the director is epic. So as you can imagine I had high expectations. It sort of lived up to the hype, my main gripe being that a LOT of the film is in the trailer and that is something that really grinds my gears. However apart from that it was a brilliant addition to the X Men franchise and it left me wanting a lot more. It may be quite predictable and there was the odd moment here and there of painfully bad CGI but overall I really enjoyed it and I think most people will (well, if you like superhero type films or any of the previous X Men films). So yeah, 'tis good and I demand more :D

Rating: 4/5

Oh and little note, credits are long and there is no extra scene. Oh and I've met one of the editors because I'm that cool.

RCF

Strata Poster
Saw X Men: First Class today. For not being a huge X Men fan, I thought this may be awesome. I still know a lot despite not being as huge fan. I think the film was fantastically done. Tied in all the elements that would show up in the "original" X Men movies, much like Star Wars Episodes I-III did. The CGI, for the most part was quite good, but then there were some parts that were just done, well, horrible. Some great actors (Kevin Bacon <3) but there was also some over the top acting. Nevertheless, this movie was still absolutely fantastic, just a joy to watch, and I would DEFINITELY go see it again. I demand MOAR!!!!!

9/10

Snoo

The Legend
Haven't been here in a while.. lol

Kung Fu Panda 2

Good.. really good!

8.5/10

Hangover 2

Not as good as the first.. a few lol moments but not a blockbuster of epic like 1.

6.5/10

peep

CF Legend
Caught two films at the cinema today. First up was Win Win.

I was looking forward to this as I think Paul Giamatti is amazing and he was superb in this film, to be honest, the entire cast were just fantastic. It was well written and directed and I really enjoyed it. It had a good amount of humour to keep it going and was just a joy to watch :D

Rating: 4/5

Senna

I've been getting more and more into F1 this year and I knew this is something that I should see for several reasons. Really glad I saw it, one of the best documentaries I've seen and it was so informative and yet it strangely felt emotional, was weird and hard to explain. Overall an excellent film and a must-see for anyone with the slightest interest in Formula 1.

Rating: 4.5/5

kimahri

CF Legend
**** the TV topic. I've bought a whole load of crap I need to get round to watching but these are what I've watched/watching.

The Walking Dead.

****, WANT MORE. So far I prefer the direction the comic took to this but it's really entertaining so far.

Claymore

Now, I'm only up to episode 11 in this so far but I'm enjoying it as much as Manga. The only thing that I'm not liking in the Anime is they sexualize the Claymores a bit. In the original manga their boobs and physique were less pronounced and OMG LOOK AT ME! Still, Strong female lead characters that don't push feminism and **** as a be all and end all and Bad ass ending song <3

Shaun of the Dead

Hell yeah! just as funny as I remembered it

Now all I have left on my to do shelf is GITS 2.0 + Innocence, Cowboy Bebop, Firefly, Gangs of New York and The rest of Gurren **** Lagann.

Nic

Strata Poster
This afternoon, I re-watched Sextette

OMG, **** epic. So incomprehensibly awful, it's actually the most amazing film ever.

LESSTHANTHREE

5/5

nadroJ

CF Legend
Nemesis Inferno said:
Want to see Human Centipede 2? Well... You can't...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31162

To be fair, there'll be a copy of the film sent to the BBFC for classification floating around the internet somewhere, so we probably will see it. Just like we saw the uncut version of A Serbian Film.

I'm quite glad the BBFC are clamping down on this sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm allllll for depravity, but not in place of a film with some sort of structure, plot and character development. It seems that whereas in the first Human Centipede there wasn't quite enough gross out, this film has taken it a step too far and made the main focus of the film to offend in every way possible, and as a side effect of this actually lost sight of the ultimate point of a film anyway, which is to tell a story/put a message across.

Anyway, I just got back from seeing The Hangover Part 2. It was good, it didn't actually manage to make me laugh out loud at any point but it was fun to watch and I left feeling quite happy. This was partly because of the numerous shots of Bradley Cooper's amazing chest, but also because the film was quite good and funny too. If you've got a winning plotline already, then stick to it. Just don't do it a third time.

Ben

CF Legend
Nemesis Inferno said:
Want to see Human Centipede 2? Well... You can't...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31162

culminating in sight of the man wrapping barbed wire around his penis and raping the woman at the rear of the ‘centipede’.

awards2.jpg

[/obscure reference]

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Just watched A-Team.

Oh, my, how many wallbangers did not this film contain... where to start...

First and foremost, why do Hollywood keep making films where supposed special soldiers keep firing full-automatic weapons? I mean, it's usually bad in Hollywood films, but this one took the cake and added extra icing. There's so much talk about "spec ops" and "assassins" and "elite soldiers" and whatnot, yet everybody who tries to kill somebody with a rifle just points it in their general direction and sprays loose, not hitting anything. Yet they keep doing it. Trust me, I've fired an assault rifle on full auto, and if you do that at a longer range than about ten metres, the only bullet that will hit remotely near your target is the first one. Full auto is for storming only. Period.

This ties in to my second gun bug with this movie; namely the guy who has enough ammo in his machine pistol to fire almost constantly for two minutes. An M16 with 30 shots, fired on full auto, takes about two seconds to empty the magazine. Machine pistols fire even faster. All in all, I could live with the constant burst-firing, but it seems ridiculous to me that nobdy hits anything with a gun, even at point blank range - except the good guys, of course, firing a hand gun with one hand while moving (hint: that wouldn't work in real life either). Had everbody in the film gone through even basic weapon training, the movie would have been about five minutes long.

The flight scenes are also erroneous. Sure, you can trick heat seeking missiles by turning off the engine - if you do it two hours in advance. And this is the thing they get the closest to right about air combat.

Then there's the guy who fires two shots with an RPG at a container ship. Cue the ship blowing up over the course of two full minutes. I almost cried.

Despite all these shortcomings, the movie has its great moments. If you "leave your brain at the door", it is enjoyable. The characters work well, and the plot is semi-realistic.

4/10, all in all.

By the way, have anybody seen The Troll Hunter? If you haven't, do it. I think it was released in the US a couple of days ago, not sure if it has come to the UK yet.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Pokemaniac <3

Personally I'm glad HC2 will never see DVD here in the UK. The first was terrible, so now I have to trawl the internet and risk getting a virus to watch it, something I'd never do meaning it's far from ever coming near my viewing. Good.

Moving on. In my severely ill state, I have watched a few films, not as many as I'd have hoped, but a fair few still:

Watched Kill Bill Vol 1 which was strange, but brilliant. The animation sequences were amazing, the action was brilliant, excellent screenplay and amazing acting. I wanted more. The film - although placing elements of Japanese slasher, martial arts and thriller films - doesn't take itself all that seriously, and that's what makes it a gem. Brilliant.

9.5/10

Watched WALL-E. I'd seen the beginning 1/3 of the film before, and it hardly struck me as "Pixar amazing", but this time I wanted to finish it. It was - as all Pixar is - amazing, but it hardly captured my imagination as much as most Pixar films do. The story was good, but I failed to emotionally attach to the characters even though it is primarily just 2 of them for most of the film. I was disappointed, and I'd actually rank it as my second least favourite Pixar film (ranking below Ratatouille and Cars but above Antz) - but all Pixar is amazing :)

8/10

Watched a preview of Bridesmaids. the film was actually very funny and much more so than I expected. It should be a cheesy chick-flicky type comedy, but it works for men as well and has far more humour than I ever imagined. There are certain scenes which are so extreme and crammed with humour than you literally don't know what to do with yourself. Highly recommend for both women and men.

8/10

Watched The Hangover Part II which I was expecting to be pretty much exactly the same as the first, and I was right. It was far from as epic as the original and the comedy value dies down half way through and there were few fresh jokes carrying the film. I think the only reason the first half of the film actually had humour was because I forgot the comic style of the films, and such the jokes were a little funny as I got back into the swing of things. Overall, it was watchable, but really missed everything the first film did by far.

6.5/10

We went to see Senna. I have been looking forward to this documentary for quite sometime. It's fair to say that I wasn't around and aware of F1 at the time of Ayrton, so his story means less to me than many older F1 fans. But his story remains strong. the documentary was brilliantly made (not the best I have ever seen, but up there) focussing just on Senna. It was emotional, it was humorous, it showed Senna outside and inside of the car. I knew when the crash was coming, and part of me knew I couldn't watch, but I did. The way the documentary makers covered the crash and the aftermath was done well with great modesty and respect. It was very emotional and throughout the whole packed screening (I mean packed - largest screening seating about 400 people with almost every seat filled) there was not one noise throughout the entire film. Wonderful.

9/10

Watched Shrek Forever After the other day. Shrek The Third was naff, so I was glad the series was ending, unfortunately it wasn't with quite a bang as I'd have hoped. Some humour, moderate storyline, good animation...what you expect now churned out from Dreamworks. Occasionally you get a classic masterpiece such as the first Shrek or HTTYD, but this wasn't one of them.

6.5/10

Watched 12 Angry Men yesterday. It was superb - I loved it. The screenplay is brilliant, the build-up is great and it pretty much never leaves the room. It makes you feel like a juror yourself, and as we never see the court session or know anything about the criminal, we are reliant on the jurors to tell us the information. that's where the beauty of the film lies. Words can't describe just how beautifully it is crafted and made. You have to watch it. Amazing.

9.5/10

Watched the silent film The General, another Buster Keaton classic. It was - just like Keaton's Sherlock Jr - brilliant, had a great story, immersive, technically simple but with complex scenes, great action, great characters and great humour. Its just pure joy to watch. I rank it as high as Sherlock Jr, but I have to admit Sherlock Jr was my favourite out of the two.

9/10

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I watched "Orphan".

Thus concludes, for ever, my viewing of films recommended by teenagers.