What's new

"Now Showing"

The Inbetweeners Movie

It's hard for me to rate a movie like this. It's mindless crap entertainment but it's absolutely hilarious, though I have a hard time rating it a nine because it's not intelligent and requires zero thinking. However, as far as a comedy goes it was brilliant, there wasn't a span of more than five minutes where I wasn't laughing. For anyone who likes the series, go watch it because it does the series justice. I agree with Ollie when he says it ends abruptly but I really liked the ending because it was on a high note :) .

For a comedy, it gets a 9/10

nadroJ

CF Legend
The Inbetweeners

First off, I am a massive fan on the show, have watched all the episodes many, many times and so feel I know the characters inside out. I was a bit worried about going to see this, worried it would just be a 2 hour long version of the show, cashing in on all the in-jokes from the series (bus ****, football fiend, etc). I was pleasantly surprised. Not one overdrawn, washed out quote in sight, but instead a fresh and yet still hilarious line-up of brilliant moments ranging from the laugh out loud to the down right cringe-worthy. I found myself squirming in my seat, crying with laughter and feeling genuine compassion for all of the four guys. It really is great, and exactly the kind of thing you'd expect four guys like the inbetweeners to get up to on a holiday like this. That's one of the things I really liked about this film, it's totally realistic. Everything that happens is something we've all seen/done and so it's totally relatable to real life.

Oh, and they've really used the 'artistic license' provided by the fact that this is a film, not television. There are a lot more cocks and a lot less boobs than I expected of this one. 9/10.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I want to see it, but just find the whole "lads in Magaluf" (or wherever they go) idea to be so lazily obvious for a film. I suppose it would fit with their characters though. Anyway, I'll reserve judgement until I actually see it.

tomahawKSU said:
They are, to everything I have seen, redoing the series, not a reboot but using the same slate, wiping it off, and throwing a few subtle hints of the original in there to please the original fans.

I can totally see a film being made to fill in the gap between this and the original, but redoing the original again is pointless since Burton already did it a few years ago.

One of the reasons the original was so brilliant was the ending; it's one of the best endings in film history. That ending can't happen if you're already told the back story. Burton tried a retake on that ending, and failed miserably, but these films are leading you up to that so would take even more away from it.

Personally, I'm just sick to death of the remakes/sequels/prequels now.

Nic

Strata Poster
Just read the last few pages...

Furie: I might have to dig out the Detroit Rock City DVD. I've not watched that for years.

Peep: Angela Landsbury looks really old because she is really old. I hope she was still utterly fab though <3

Is Cars 2 worth seeing a) at the cinema and b) in 3D? My 3 least favourite Pixar films are the 3 I didn't see at the cinema (although, they are actually probably also the crappest)

Everyone on this page: You've so far lessened my fears that The Inbetweeners Movie would be crap. Praps I will see it afterall (when it comes out on DVD...)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
All computer animated films are worth seeing in 3D, since that's how they are rendered it looks much better, but I saw it in 2D, and it was just fine. If you can see it at a bargain price, see it in the theater, otherwise, it can wait.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Not posted here for a while.

Watched Super 8. It was a film that felt like a cross between Stand By Me and E.T (Stand by ME.T?) and I did overall enjoy it - the story was good, it was a bit bland in the morning when it was just explosions and a thinning story, but it held together well. Acting was superb all around - credit to the young cast. Things that irritated me: explosions. Too many of them. It felt like a Michael Bay film at times. The lens flares. I must've noticed them in Star Trek, but somehow they annoyed me endlessly throughout the whole film - it ruined most shots. The monster - stereotypically bland an boring.

Other than all of that, it'd worth a watch, I guess. The credits film is amusing and thankfully had no lens flare!

7.5/10

Watched Lymelife which stars the delicious Emma Roberts. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I find of liked it. It was darkly funny, I really wanted to guy to score and Emma Roberts shows us her lovely breasts encased in a bra (I swear in every film not aimed for kids that Emma Roberts is in she shows us her underwear?! Not that I'm cleaning, of course). It was sweet, entertaining and a nice watch.

7/10

I went to the opening screening of The Inbetweeners Film, which was very funny, literally just like an extended episode of the show albeit with a bit more of a 'film-like flare' to it. KIt was by no means hilarious, but the comedy was consistent throughout, although the first 10 mins were dull, dire and were completely unfunny. There were lots of nude men and male-parts in the film and no visible female related parts, which was surprising and annoying.

The film compliments the series brilliantly, and if you like the show and the humour within it like I do, you'll enjoy it lots. However, Bridesmaids is still my favourite comedy of 2011 so far, but this comes a very, very close second.

7.5/10

Watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I loved the original (and I mean the TRUE original Planet of the Apes), but was unsure whether a modern-style prequel would compliment the original film. I was pleased to find it did, rather well.

The CGI was good - in fact amazing - but throughout the whole film I couldn't help but think the apes didn't actually move around properly - it seemed very unrealistic and annoying that they didn't. However, the plot was good, realistic to a certain extent and the film was much better than I anticipated throughout. I have no doubt there will be a sequel (or second prequel, I guess) as this will no doubt by highly successful.

8/10

Watched Cowboys and Aliens. I've been seeing teaser trailers and shorts from this for seemingly years now at the cinema, so I was intrigued enough to want to go see it. It feels just like a cowboy film with elements of sci-fi as opposed to a cowboy vs sc-fi film, which I wasn't expecting but wasn't complaining too much about. It was well done, especially as it could have been a very jokey film with an even jokier story. Daniel Craig was simply superb throughout - full credit to him.

Needed more aliens, more explosions and more sci-fi, but still very enjoyable.

7/10

jokerman

Giga Poster
I saw Cowboys & Aliens yesterday.

It wasn't a very good film, but I really liked. I'm probably biased since I like sci-fi and I rarely go to the cinema, so the novelty might have been a factor. I can't really rate it though, I'm so torn about it.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I saw two films yesterday:

The Inbetweeners was crap. Sorry, but it was. I really like the TV show, but I just thought this whole thing was a cheap, lazy cash-in. It's not even as funny as the TV show; it just tries to be by showing some cock and saying "c**t" a couple of times. Oooooohhhhhhh, isn't that pushing the boundaries of comedy?! Rubbish.

Cowboys and Aliens was also crap. I knew it would be, but my dad wanted to see it and since we never do much together I thought I'd go with him. You have to laugh at that Olivia Wilde tit though. I've seen her in interviews talking about this "actors' dream" role, like she's just landed Lady Macbeth at the RSC or something, when in actual fact she's got about 5 lines and was running around in front of a green screen for a few weeks. Get over yourself you pretentious twat!

peep

CF Legend
The Guard

Was really good, very racist, but funny due to the way it's all delivered etc. Was an enjoyable watch, recommend to get on DVD when it comes out.

Rating: 4/5

Beautiful lies

I actually had no idea about what this film was about, just knew Audrey Tautou is in it (aka Amelie). It was very funny and amusing but also rather sad. A joy to watch.

peep

CF Legend
I saw The Inbetweeners earlier today.

I feel Gavin sums it up pretty well...

gavin said:
I saw two films yesterday:

The Inbetweeners was crap. Sorry, but it was. I really like the TV show, but I just thought this whole thing was a cheap, lazy cash-in. It's not even as funny as the TV show; it just tries to be by showing some cock and saying "c**t" a couple of times. Oooooohhhhhhh, isn't that pushing the boundaries of comedy?! Rubbish.

It was like they got a license to show cock and then just continued using it as a joke through-out the entire film for no reason. I hate cringe-moments and the films was filled to the brim with them, couldn't enjoy watching the film at all. Yes there are some good moments, I really liked the first scene with Will and his Dad (who I was not expecting AT ALL) and the scene showing the stereotypes of the young holiday crowd but it was all a bit over-shadowed by all the rubbish. Very disappointed.

Rating: 2/5

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I saw Final Destination 243 today. Oh in 3D!

I liked it for the mindless entertainment it was to be honest. I got exactly what I was expecting; a series of people being killed off in entertaining ways. No better or worse than any of the others since they're all exactly the same **** ing thing.

peep

CF Legend
^What did you think of the 3D on it? I'm still not sure on how to watch it. Glad to hear its like the other films though and not trying to be something its not.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It was fine, but a bit pointless. I remember thinking the 3D on the last one was really bad, so it's better than that at least.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ I watched the 'Final' Destination (FD4) in 3D, which is one of the reasons I now never watch 3D films. Terrible with the exception of giant tits coming out at me. Should be watching FD5 in 2D later today.

And yes, I have now watched The Inbetweeners Film twice. I agree it's not amazing, but it does pretty much watch the bulk of the audience wants/expects it to do and even a few of my teachers have informed me of how much they enjoyed it, mainly just placing former students in the positions of the main chrecters.

Any, Chicken Run. I'd seen quite a lot of Chicken Run before, but never the film in its entirety, so I was pleased how it all fitted together and I simply loved it. It had true Aardman styling in the script, animation and the small touches within both which made it hilarious at times for the adults yet great for children at the same time. The story was basic - like all Aardman stories - but that makes its charm. Brilliant.

8/10

Watched Cars 2 finally. I thought the first was a bit poor in terms of Pixar (still amazing) and it wasn't my favourite Pixar film and was ranked almost dead last. When I heard Cars 2 was rated the 'worst Pixar film yet', I wasn't all that optimistic. However, I really can't see why it's given such a bad word to its name - for me it felt just like the original in that the storyline is good, but not amazing, the animation good as always but it didn't have much charm to it. The attention to detail in the London (especially, mainly as I know London) scenes must be mentioned - simply brilliant, but otherwise it's about where the first film was.

7/10

Watched The Guard, which was very sinisterly funny. A clever script and great acting made it a really good watch, and even racism is funny and laughable within the film :p Highly enjoyable. The ending is fitting and I think the best way to end the film - it can be seen as bitter or sweet, but I saw it as sweet.

7.5/10

Watched a lesser known film called Adam & Paul which was a perfect example of a film I would have loved to study and interpret in Film Studies. A simply great social realism piece which really bring the audience into loving two characters we should have no sympathy for, and the audience realises what deceit they have been under with the great ending and we resort to dislike of the dug addicts. A brilliant Irish social realism piece which has been massively overlooked.

7/10

Watched Being John Malkovich last night. Wow. What a simply brilliant film - quirky, unbelievable and yet brilliant executed and understood very well. It shouldn't make sense, it shouldn't try to make sense, and yet it does and does brilliantly. There was so much within the film in terms of human behaviour and understanding of ourselves that made it what it was. A brilliant screenplay which brought everything together and a real sense of empathy and understanding of the characters was felt without. It was simply brilliant. It's also now my 16th best film ever, slotting in between Taxi Driver and City of God.

I want more!

9/10

peep

CF Legend
Saw two films this evening. First was Final Destination 5 in 2D.

Just messed up fun like the first 4, how they come up with these crazy deaths I have no idea. I kinda liked how they tied it up with some of the other films but after the final scene it was a bit random having a montage of pretty much every death scene from the previous films (imo that's not really a spoiler as such as it gives away no plot details etc). Even though the title sequence at the beginning was cool it went on way too long. The actors were decent enough and it was nice to see the writers explore something in the franchise that was only ever talked about, I liked that. Good messed up fun, though if you're thinking of getting laser eye surgery I'd avoid this film like the plague.

Rating: 3/5

Fright Night in 3D

Didn't really know that much about the film apart from the fact it contained vampires and it had a uber awesome cast. Really glad I saw this, just simple fun, just a basic Vampire story with some nice humour throughout. I thought the cast were awesome and the special effects were mainly cool though a bit off at times. 3D was a bit pointless. It's all about David Tennant though, he is really awesome in this.

Oh yeah and I saw The Room at the Prince Charles Cinema last night, fecking hilarious as always. :D

kimahri

CF Legend
ciallkennett said:
Watched Being John Malkovich last night. Wow. What a simply brilliant film - quirky, unbelievable and yet brilliant executed and understood very well. It shouldn't make sense, it shouldn't try to make sense, and yet it does and does brilliantly. There was so much within the film in terms of human behaviour and understanding of ourselves that made it what it was. A brilliant screenplay which brought everything together and a real sense of empathy and understanding of the characters was felt without. It was simply brilliant. It's also now my 16th best film ever, slotting in between Taxi Driver and City of God.

I want more!

9/10

HAHA! Malkovich! Malkovich malkovich.

peep

CF Legend
Saw two films today, first up was The art of getting by

I actually enjoyed this film, it lacks in places but overall it's watchable (if a little predictable) and the cast are pretty great.

Rating: 3/5

The skin I live in

Really enjoyed this too. I have to admit I didn't see the shocking twist coming at all. Really good film with a great cast and it's brilliantly directed.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Finally watched The Pianst last night. Got out the popcorn and beer for a good two and a half hours of fantastic comedy entertainment ;)

It was good, and it's all very moving being a true story and everything, but it was missing something for me somewhere and I'm not entirely sure where. It seemed to be quite "cookie cutter holocaust". It's traumatic, horrendous, moving and everything but it seemed to rely on that rather than being a good film... If that makes sense.

As I say, it was very emotional and it showed the terror and disgusting behaviour of the occupation - so it was brilliant in that respect, but as a film it just wasn't quite right for a film that tops so many lists. Still if you can stomach it, it's well worth watching 9/10

kimahri

CF Legend
I saw The Thing the other night. I enjoyed it. The puppetry and whatever was pretty danm good. I prefer that stuff to this new fangled cgi schlock. Nothing is going to beat Ripley vs the queen in her power loader. <3