What's new

"Now Showing"

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I've been wanting to see it for about 2 years now, and I've refrained from illegally downloading it as I want to go to a screening of it and enjoy it in its purist forms.

SPOOOOOOOOOOOONS!

You're lying I never hit her, that's bull ****, I never hit her, I did NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHT...oh hi Mark!

...anyways how's your sex life?

I got the results back today and I DEFINITELY have breast cancer.

etc etc

This needs to be released on DVD in the UK...it's got too much of a cult following to not have been already.

I am quite jelaous

peep

CF Legend
Nic said:
PS. I assume it's the Prince Charles you're going to? I love that place! <3

Haha, it is indeed because that cinema loves life. They're doing another Grindhouse screening, I has is on blu-ray but the atmosphere there is always epic so tempted to see it there again :p

There are still some tickets left for tonight (£10) if anyone else wants to join us?

kimahri

CF Legend
Bought Summer Wars and The Girl Who Lept Through Time the other day and just got around to watching summer wars.

Oh my ****ing god it was ball clenchingly amazing...

peep

CF Legend
Yes, The Room was absolutely win.

So glad I noticed they were screening it today. So many epic moments, I've never laughed the ENTIRE way through a film before.

CLOSE THE DOOR!!!

:p Rating: 5/5

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Scream 4 :D

Ben was right, Hayden was awesome, even though she looked butch, but she was still hot. Ending surprised me. I gave up guessing halfway through the movie. It was awesome. Love that movie, want to see it again so I can try and notice a few things earlier.

Wes Craven=best suspense director of our time.

Edit: The best part about the entire movie was the beginning when they were making fun of Saw for being a gore fest, and just the constant mocking of "the rules." Deadpool-ish. /nerding out/

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
tomahawKSU said:
Wes Craven=best suspense director of our time.

Seeing Scream 4 on Wednesday, but it annoys me how Scream 4 has said that Wes Craven is the "master of suspense" when clearly that title goes to Mr Hitchcock....

Sorry just irritating. He is VERY good as suspense but you can't take that title from Alfie.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Wes Craven is alright, but not the best suspense director of our time. There's not a long list admittedly, but he's more a hack and chop merchant; rinse and repeat; than suspense. John Carpenter easily gives him a run for his money and I'd say Carpenter was certainly a much better and influential director in Craven's hey day than Craven ever was.

Anyway, I watched three films over the weekend.

First up I stuck Hoodwinked on for the kids. After reading Ciall and Nic's minor disagreement on it, I thought I'd watch it again. It's pretty dreadful. The animation is exceptionally poor, it's like a cheap CITV CGI Saturday morning show. Obviously you should look beyond that and find the depth and wealth of story and character behind it all... It's not there. You can see what was trying to be accomplished, but it just failed. The whole thing was just a mess. Agree. With. Ciall.

Next, The Machinist. Christian Bale looking like a reject from a Band Aid advert. It's a curious film, all soft and dreamlike that accentuates the slow decent into madness Bale's character goes through. It's mildly captivating, and Bale is excellent, but it's too obvious what's going on and the film just fails to deliver. It's not bad, but nothing spectacular either.

Finally, Rango. I was really intrigues by this, as the adverts make it look great. Really odd kid's film, in that all the sources are films no kids will have ever seen. It never really settles down either, it's like a real kind of Western in that respect - it's really trying to blur the lines between a kid's cartoon and an adult film. I'm not entirely sure it pulls it off. I enjoyed it, but I'm in no rush to see it again. The kids loved it though, so it's ticking the right buttons there.

It's an utterly gorgeous film though, absolutely fantastic to watch. The only issue I really had was that Rango's character didn't seem as beautifully detailed as secondary characters such as "Spoons". So, lovely film to watch, and certainly above average - not as captivating and enjoyable as HTTYD or a Pixar film though (the usual yard sticks I use).

peep

CF Legend
Lucy said:
I saw the Australian film "Tomorrow, When the War Began" last night and it was fantastic :)

I saw the trailers a while back and you know what? I'm finding it really hard to bring myself round to watching it (I even saw Twilight FFS!), it just looks like they've taken every similar film and mashed it into something not very exciting.

peep

CF Legend
Soz for the double post peeps.

Went and got myself lots of blu-rays today :p I watched Leon when I got back.

It really is a fantastic film, entertaining throughout (though the restaurant scene was odd) and I found the ending rather satisfying.

Rating: 4.5/5

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Time for many more films. Don't worry, half-term is up soon so my film-count will drop for a while as I need to focus on exams :p

I watched Superhero Movie. I know these spoofs are usually shockingly awful, but I like watching bad films as you know. This one actually made me laugh twice :| I know, even I'm shocked. It was still rather bad though, and a complete waste of well over an hour, but it still made me laugh...somehow.

3/10

Moon was quite good. Simplistic, artistic, good enough storyline and really engaging. For his first film, Duncan Jones did really well, and having seen Source Code as well I can see he is making good progress. I can see him being VERY big in a few years, perhaps even as big as Chris Nolan.

8/10

I also watched Bullet Boy. I'd seen much of it before, but not in its entirety. I love British gritty gangster social realism pieces, but this wasn't the best I'd seen. It does what it needs to, but it doesn't do much more than that. A shame, but it was still reasonable and a good enough watch, if quite predictable.

6/10

Watched Monty Python's The Life of Brian. It wasn't as funny as I expected but I did have a very good chuckle at many parts. The story was great the references were great, the acting was...well...Monthy Python-esque but I suppose I'm probably too young and not of the generation to enjoy it to the full. Still, a very good film.

8/10

Watched Scream 3 in preparation for Scream 4. It was definitely the worst of the original trilogy. The story seemed under developed, the ending was very disappointing and I got bored at multiple points throughout. But, like they kept saying, the third film in a trilogy always has loads of plot twists and anything is possible...

5/10

Watched Hop. It wasn't very good. Russell Brand is one reason why it wasn't, but it hardly had much of a decent plot, the mix of animation and live action felt a bit off, there was no comedy value whatsoever (only innuendo's which only I would ever pick up, such as "Nope, she's single, and looking for a rabbit") and it was dull, tedious, and I wanted it to end. Saving point? It ended.

5/10

Went to see Winnie the Pooh as well Was really looking forward t this, and I wasn't disappointed. Great humour, great animation, great story albeit short and a film that makes you smile throughout and chuckle many times over. Brilliance!

8/10

Watched Scream 4. First things first, Emma Roberts = OMNOMNOM *drools*. Now that I have said that I will speak more about her - it was really good, almost as good (if not equally as good) as the first, though the focus was more on comedic deaths this time. It never made me jump (no films tend to), but I loved the endless Hitchcock references throughout the film that most people would miss (Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window all prevalent). Brilliant, especially as he's "The master of suspense" :p Also enjoyed all the Saw references, references to the Scream and Scary Movie franchises etc etc Without spoiling anything, Emma Roberts in the final scenes still made me growl like a bear, which it shouldn't have. I was emotionally aroused in those scenes, weirdly.

Anyway, better than 2 or 3 and up in line with the first I feel.

8/10