What's new

"Now Showing"

peep

CF Legend
Saw two more films at the cinema today. You will meet a tall dark stranger

It's a new Woody Allen film that kinda went under the radar a bit. There were some awesome actors in the film and it had some good moments but overall I'm not fully sure what I think of it, I suppose 'meh'

Rating: 3/5

Then I saw a new French film called Little White Lies

I didn't really know anything about the film, I just saw the poster and went "I wonder what that's about". Turns out it's a 2 hour 30 minute film about a group of friends who all lie to each other. Their friend lies in hospital in intensive care while they still decide to go on their annual holiday. I don't really want to say more than that in regards to the story but OMFG just go and see it, do whatever you can to watch it. It's an absolutely fantastic film from start to finish, it's really well written and directed and the cast are phenomenal. Just the way the characters are so well rounded, it kinda reminds me of Parenthood by Ron Howard but without the massive set pieces :p

Rating: 5/5

weedjam

Roller Poster
Armadillo, an incredibly action-like documentary recording the outings of a Danish troop in afghanistan. Climax of the film lead to an inquiry into the unit. The shots are unbelievable, I found myself asking numerous times throughout "is this really a documentary?" as I was pulled completely into the characters, their emotions, how they dealt with the warfare and death that surrounded them. And it's often not positive. If you want some popcorn flick full of happiness and cliches then maybe this isn't for you, but if you like hard hitting films about real events, definitely check this out.

Also, even though I haven't seen it, everybody should be watching Restrepo as a tribute to Tim Hetherington, who died reporting from Libya recently.

Error

Strata Poster
Couple nights ago I went and saw Rio with my friend Sarah.

...eh...

The story itself, surroudning a blue macaw that never learned how to fly, is cute. But the plot that goes through is fairly predictable. Characters are defined a bit, but not very deep. However, that doesn't mean it's not fun and enjoyable. The colors are vast and pretty, animation is pretty clean and flowing, and some of the writing is clever (The bird guy is just "hawkward").

Overall, enjoyable for a night out. Good for everyone.
6/10

peep

CF Legend
Saw some more films today. First up was Winnie the Pooh

Actually love it, great fun, excellent animation and John Cleese <3 Actually chuckled through the majority of the film and it was just a joy to sit and watch, fantastic family fun, more like this Disney!

Oh and the Jack and the Netherland Pirates episode was random and Loch Ness short was awesome.

Then we saw Arthur.

Wasn't really looking forward to it, thought it would be turd but it was ok. It kept me amused and I think Russell Brand was ok, as always he should stick to the acting and quit comedy. The butler character was rather annoying but apart from that it was ok.

Ended the day with Thor in 3D.

Yay, another good Marvel film! I never really knew much about the Thor character but I really enjoyed it, there could have been more Natalie Portman but it was still great. The special effects were fantastic (as you would expect) and I loved the Marvel cross-overs (there be another Avenger lurking around;) ). The post-credits scene was random, not sure I fully understand what it was about. So yeah, great action scenes, good story and like I said, great special effects. Oh and you have to just love the Stan Lee cameo :D

Rating: 4/5

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Fast Five

Pretty much just crap. Fast sexy cars, but Vin Diesel and The Rock comparing who has taken more HGH in their life. Pretty ridiculous. Granted the end set up a sixth one, and I know I will see that, but if you expect any other than **** acting in this, you're expecting the wrong thing. I loved the cars. And the women. But thats it.

2/5

peep

CF Legend
I didn't have time to post this last week but I saw the new French film, THE EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURES OF ADELE BLANC-SEC

It's by Luc Besson (the legend behind Leon and Fifth element). One word can easily describe this film, weird. It's just so bizzare. There are some things I really loved about it, the style and whole explorer theme from early 20th Century Paris with some great humour but the randomness of the story was just a bit too much, it jumped the shark as it were. However the mummies near the end made me really laugh.

Watched Casablanca on blu-ray earlier.

Wow. One of the best restoration jobs I've ever seen (even if there were some odd bits of sparkle and scratch here and there and half way through a random coloured Warner Bros logo decided to appear making the entire picture just look weird). It's a fantastic film and I now know why it's seen as a classic.

Snoo

The Legend
tomahawKSU said:
Fast Five

Pretty much just crap. Fast sexy cars, but Vin Diesel and The Rock comparing who has taken more HGH in their life. Pretty ridiculous. Granted the end set up a sixth one, and I know I will see that, but if you expect any other than **** acting in this, you're expecting the wrong thing. I loved the cars. And the women. But thats it.

2/5

This.

peep

CF Legend
Saw Water for Elephants earlier.

I was expecting the usual turd love story but I found it really engaging and entertaining. Christoph Waltz was just amazing and Robert Pattinson wasn't as annoying as he is in the Twilight films. There isn't much more I can say about it really, just an entertaining film and just pleasant to watch.

Rating: 4/5

Snoo

The Legend
It's watchable definitely. Chris H. is a great Thor.. I never thought he wasn't Thor for one second. The rest of the cast was a bit shaky. I'd just wait until tomorrow.. for sleeps sake. Only one movie I'll go at midnight for.. and that's Green Lantern.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I used to go to midnight movies almost weekly when I still lived with my parents. For me, my brother, and friends it was a weekly thing. I plan on seeing Transformers 3, Pirates 4, Captain America, Hangover 2, and a few others at midnight. I'll be in Mexico when Green Lantern comes out, because otherwise, I would see the midnight of that as well. Natalie Portman is amazing, and yeah, I opted to sleep.

peep

CF Legend
Green Lantern looks awful, I think Reynolds is a great actor but it just looks dreadful. They've just decided to chuck a stupid amount of money at it to try and make the CGI look better because it looks ridiculously bad in the trailers and fans complained. You know it's going to be terrible when they have to try and fix the CGI so last minute.

Snoo

The Legend
To each his own tbh. I'm not hardcore into the Marvel Universe.. so I'll be fine with what the fanboys consider mediocre.

kimahri

CF Legend
Anyone seen 13 Assassins yet. I am intrigued by it. They have flyers in My comic book store that they keep giving me (Not as bad as the Elephanmen flyer's though, I have millions of them and that also has a movie coming out for it too ^ω^)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Just saw Thor.

It was a great, here is the story of Thor, background info, type movie, but it didn't do anything amazing to me. In regards to setting up the Avengers, hell yes it's amazing, but it left me wanting more. The post filming 3D conversion was utter ****. It was too dark, blurry, and poorly done. If you do 3D, SHOOT IN 3D, because there is a difference. Michael Bay, as much as people hate him, has it right to shoot in 3D, because the conversion looks like ****, i.e. Clash of the Titans. But to end the rant, I will be seeing this movie again, but not in 3D.

7/10

tomahawk

Strata Poster
UNLESS it is filmed in 3D, then it is ok. But don't convert it, its **** horrible. Well hey, they are going to start selling 3D glasses soon, so hopefully they will drop that ridiculous surcharge from it, I doubt it but I can wish.