What's new

"Now Showing"

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^Really wanted to see Back & Forth last night, but it was that or fix the toilet...no contest really! :lol:

I've just realised that because Source Code is so short, I can fit in that AND Submarine tonight after 9pm! Will happen if I can stay awake :p (although the coffee is RUBBISH in Vue, which doesn't help!<spite>).

Quick catch-up otherwise - not watched much recently, managed to finish The Secret In Their Eyes, which I found to be disappointingly average and clumsy, apart from the stunning "5-minute" shot smack in the middle, which tonally seems to come from a different film entirely!

I've got a ton of stuff on my Sky+ to catch up with too - NEEDZ MORE TIME!

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ The 5 minute shot is <3 It was done digitally though, as I noted when I freeze framed and saw the digitally added stuff ;) It was a great film I thought though :)

Not posted in here in a while. I was going to see Source Code (<3) on Wednesday, but it was me and the birds' 2 months, and she forced me to see something else :( Next week, however, my 6 months or so of waiting will be over <3

Unknown - I was really, really bored in the screening and I literally almost feel asleep multiple times through the film. The "twist" was hardly a twist at all and was easily predictable and the film went on for far too long...but other than that, it's watchable.

6/10

Catfish - Been wanting to watch it since it came out in cinema, and I was intrigued by the discussion that surrounded the documentary as to whether it was staged or not. It was a very good documentary which took a little while to get into, but when you did, you were immersed. I won't give away anything, but I didn't think it was staged - I think it was just pure luck the way the events unfolded. Staging it would be far too obvious and wouldn't start the debate and still split viewers. A good watch, however.

7/10

The Pianist was next. It was very good, very moving, very hard to watch at times. I'd seen part of it before in my history lesson in year 9, so I was familiar with the film and it's direction, but had not seen it in its entirety. I did get emotional at a few points in the film, but managed not to cry. It's such a hard hitting film which reflects the horrors of being Jewish during WWII and escaping the fate that so many others had to endure. Brilliant.

9/10

Scream 2. I loved the first Scream and thought it was brilliant, and as with all sequels, I wasn't expecting the second to match the epicness of the first. Nonetheless, I pursued in watching it (and Scream 3 in the coming week or so) as I plan on watching the 4th at the cinema when it comes out.

Scream 2 was definitely not as good as the first. It tried to be as amazing as the first, but the story and lines about what to do/what not to do in a scary movie wet dry. It was watchable, but I wouldn't recommend it very much.

6/10

Saw Killing Bono with the bird. It was ok but I got quite bored in a few sections. It was far too long for what it was, and there are quite a few bits that I could have cut to reduce the films length. It was definitely aimed at those who were teens in and around that era, but I think they would have come out a bit disappointed.

6/10

Saw - I'd avoided watching Saw over the years as I thought it'd be just gore with no reason for it, not a very good storyline and would be overall just boring. How wrong was I. It was brilliant - the story was well developed, gore was a lot less than I expected, excellent pacing and the ending was brilliant and had kept me guessing even as it unfolded. It was highly enjoyable, so I may be tempted into watching a few of the others soon... ;)

8/10

I then watched Election (1999). I really enjoyed it - the story was fresh, hardly as teeny as it could have been, had some good acting and was all round a pleasure to watch. There was some humour to be found as well, and the acting was great. Tempted to read the book it was based on now.

8/10

Blimey, I watch too many films...

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
furie said:
I have one of Gavin's favourites to watch this weekend

Oooh, which one?

I watched Holes over the last couple of days, mainly because I've been reading the book with one of my classes and dangling the carrot-on-a-stick DVD over them since half term.

It was pretty decent really. Sticks close enough to the book and all that.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
What ever happened to baby Jane... Didn't get around to it, some time this weekend though :lol:

I like Holes. It's one of those rare films which doesn't patronise the young audience. It's got an "adult" pace and presentation, it's just really "good".

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Baby Jane LESS THAN THREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a film, it has its flaws, but it's still my all time favourite.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It's almost at the PS3... I just have to convince Madame_Furie it's superior to "Lewis" and we'll be there. :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, so What ever happened to Baby Jane - just for Gavin as he recommended it :)

It's a very odd film. It never really seems to have much actual plot or progression or anything, but Bette Davis is stunning in the film and really carries it. Really plays an exceptional role and it's worth watching just for that. The rest of the film is iffy in places and it never really shines above Davis' performance, but it's still worth watching. I think the 4/5 it seems to get is about right - 3/5 for the film, 5/5 for Bette Davis so an average of 4/5 :)

Ben

CF Legend
ciallkennett said:
Scream 2. I loved the first Scream and thought it was brilliant, and as with all sequels, I wasn't expecting the second to match the epicness of the first. Nonetheless, I pursued in watching it (and Scream 3 in the coming week or so) as I plan on watching the 4th at the cinema when it comes out.

Scream 2 was definitely not as good as the first. It tried to be as amazing as the first, but the story and lines about what to do/what not to do in a scary movie wet dry. It was watchable, but I wouldn't recommend it very much.

6/10

SCREAM 2 HAS SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR <3<3<3

She's so fab.

Well excited for 4.

Saw Source Code today with AJ, I thought it was kinda AWFUL. It's really trying to be like, Incpetion or Memento or some other FAB Nolan film in its "complexity" and "layers", but, it just fails because it's not as smart as it thinks it is.

Ugh <//3

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Closer

So I'll be honest, my roommate saw that in this movie you saw Natalie Portmans boobs, so we rented it. Well, major disappointment #1, weren't there. Total bull ****. Second of all, how this movie got nominated for anything other than worst movie of all time is seriously ****ing retarded. I wanted to punch a baby. It was predictable, crude, and had god awful time transitions. Just ****

0/5

If you like this movie, may god have mercy on your soul.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
furie said:
It never really seems to have much actual plot or progression or anything, but Bette Davis is stunning in the film and really carries it. Really plays an exceptional role and it's worth watching just for that.

Exactly. She's absolutely amazing in that film.

Like I said, the film is flawed, but Davis is just mesmerising in it. Not that it should make a difference at all (and it doesn't), but knowing that those two old bitches spent decades at each others' throats before finally making a film together gives it a bit of an extra edge. It's CRIMINAL that Davis didn't get an Oscar for Baby Jane, and it was all thanks to Crawford. It's brilliant.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Your Highness

Dumb movie. It was "my" humor though. Tits, midgets, and moments that lead you to face palm. My girlfriend asked me if I wrote it, it was quite random. I enjoyed it but it also was quite stupid, so I can easily see how people would hate it. If you are stuck up in the least bit, a bit of a prude, etc. you won't like this movie...at all. I am none of the above and I found its stupidity entertaining.

3/5

Ben

CF Legend
gavin said:
furie said:
It never really seems to have much actual plot or progression or anything, but Bette Davis is stunning in the film and really carries it. Really plays an exceptional role and it's worth watching just for that.

Exactly. She's absolutely amazing in that film.

Like I said, the film is flawed, but Davis is just mesmerising in it. Not that it should make a difference at all (and it doesn't), but knowing that those two old bitches spent decades at each others' throats before finally making a film together gives it a bit of an extra edge. It's CRIMINAL that Davis didn't get an Oscar for Baby Jane, and it was all thanks to Crawford. It's brilliant.

"Excuse me, I have an Oscar to accept"

<3

binton16

Roller Poster
Saw Rio yeasterday. Was funnier than it looked. Most poeople will enjoy it if they don't go in expecting an original plot.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Scream

I am watching the original Scream trilogy to get "ready" for the new one this Friday. I have never seen any of them before now, so I wanted to catch up on the history of it. I thought for a slasher movie it was good, for the time I'm sure it was great, but now its just ok.

7/10

peep

CF Legend
Watched two films today at the cinema. First was Rio in 3D.

I really enjoyed this film, it's just a great bit of family entertainment. I thought some of the songs (which I totally wasn't expecting) were catchy and fun. The animation was actually really great but the 3D effects were pointless. I highly recommend this film but without the pointless 3D.

Rating: 4/5

Then I saw Mars needs Moms

I saw this in 2D because I'd heard nothing but bad things and didn't want to waste money on it :p It was better than the critics seem to be suggesting but still nothing great. Very mediocre, extremely predictable plot with nothing too exciting within the film. I think the highlight for me was seeing the capture footage of the actors in the weird gear at the end, I found that quite interesting.

Rating: 3/5

Snoo

The Legend
Battle: Los Angeles

MUCH better then the massively disappointing Skyline.. but not QUITE Independence Day. I do think I got behind and had more anticipation for this movie then I have for any other movie of its type. Enjoyed it quite a bit tho.

8.5/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
It's half-term and I've been watching far too many films, so I'll add to the list I gave the other day:

North by Northwest. I can see why it's one of Hitchcock's great classics - had me guessing throughout as to what was happening. It isn't my favourite of him, but it was really enjoyable, edge-of-the-seat stuff and I found myself likening the scores to other Hitchcock films including Vertigo and Psycho ;) Things adapted from vertigo and things which would become Psycho ;) Sneaky.

9/10

28 Weeks Later. I loved the original, though felt it was a tad overrated, but was looking forward to seeing the sequel. It opened in a very similar style to the Boylesque 28 Days Later, but this tailed off soon after as the story become less focussed on the gore and more on character development. The film as a whole was very good, but I feel it could have reached similar standing as the first if it didn't use so much SFX - I felt it ruined the film as the first used hardly any (if any) and these were overly used, looked rather bad and just shouted "WHY?!" to me. I must credit the two young performers in this film - they are brilliant.

7/10

In Bruges. I weirdly enjoyed the mix of comedy, thriller and gangster genres. They usually don't mix well, but for some reason they do so in this film. The comedy would have never have worked if it was just Colin Farrell's normal voice and he wasn't being Irish - the jokes he makes are brilliantly funny. I quite enjoyed it, though I feel it is a tad overrated itself as a film, and I struggle to see why it makes the IMDB Top 250 list.

8/10

I then had a cinema day yesterday where I spent 14 hours straight at the cinema and watched 4 films. I need a life.

First film of the day was Rio. I went into it not expect that much other than a churned out bog-standard kids film. I have to admit, it exceeded my expectations by quite a bit :p The animation was great, had an ok storyline, a LOT more humour than I anticipated and overall it was just a really fun film to watch.

7/10

The second film I watched was Source Code. As you may know, I've been eagerly anticipating this film since I first saw the trailer back in August, and after a few weeks of delays in getting to see it, I finally did. It was just as I expected - good action, good storyline and immersive. The only problem I had with it was the last 40 seconds to a minute where the good-up-to-that-point ending is spoiled by a silly plot twist. Eugh, it was made of WHY?! If that was cut it would have been a much better, easier to understand and non-silly ending. Oh well.

8/10

The third film I watched was Your Highness. I was expecting crude humour, bad acting and a story which is more or less undesirable. I got all of that, plus the addition of it actually not being as bad as it could have been. I laughed quite a few times but the jokes were few and far between for what was primarily a comedy. Could have been worse though.

6.5/10

My fourth and last film of the day was The Eagle. I went in not knowing a single thing about the film, and when I found out it was a battle/adventure film, I sank in my seat. It was better than I thought it would be, and the direction of the film was great, it was just a shame the story was very lacklustre. Could have been better glad it wasn't much worse.

6.5/10