What's new

"Now Showing"

Snoo

The Legend
Jackass 3D

Now THAT is a comedy. <3

9/10

127 Hours

Much better then I thought and also better than Buried.

8.5/10

Unstoppable

Very simple story.. stop the damn train.. but how can you go wrong with Denzel?

9/10

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Catch-up time!

127 Hours
Quality film-making from Danny Boyle and co., full of invention, with a cracking soundtrack from A. R. Rahman (yes BAFTA, better than bloody King's Speech's soundtrack!), and a great turn from James Franco.

It always manages to keep you interested despite a) mainly featuring one bloke in one location, and b) knowing exactly what's about to happen.

BUT, I still left the theatre thinking...what was the point? What did the film achieve? Did I learn anything new? (No). Did I experience something new? (Not really, Touching The Void and Misery have already covered the main points!).

So I'm not convinced it's a film that needed to be made; the corollary of which is, does it need to be seen?

Yes, thanks to Boyle's daring experiment in using 2 cinematographers, running 2 identical sets, but with no collaboration between them. Boyle did it to try and keep the images fresh from such a static set-up, and he thinks it had less effect that he thought it would.

But I reckon it was a genius move - it freed Boyle from micromanaging the photography, fundamentally changed the relationship between director and cinematographer, and brought an entirely original dynamic to the film which shines through.

Boyle's constant strive to innovate makes him one of the best talents in the business, and ultimately will always justify giving his films a viewing.

True Grit
I don't like Westerns much - they're boring. But a Coen Brothers Western? Hmmm...

The Coens are clearly schizophrenic. They seem to switch between "wacky" and "serious", sometimes mixing the two to great effect (O Brother, Where Art Thou?). They also have a tendency to take the mickey out of their audience, which I detest.

So which Coens have turned up this time? Thankfully it's the "serious" ones. They've gone back to the source novel, crafted a highly literate script and deliberately turned it into a straight and involving movie which I really enjoyed.

Their love of language may have been pushed a bit too far - some of the lines are so convoluted even the actors can't get them out - but it keeps things fresh, and coupled with a realistic style and some great casting, it's an engaging film.

Key to this is Hailee Steinfeld as the kid. It's vital to the story that she be young and vulnerable, and although visibly working her socks off at times, Steinfeld anchors the film for the audience, despite the contrived nature of the plot. Bridges is great as always, but I feel Matt Damon is miscast - I like Damon, but he just can't do nasty.

It may be a Western, but I'm glad I watched it :).

Paul
I like Simon Pegg. And Nick Frost. And this film is their bigtime gamble - a $50m budget based around a sci-fi nerdfest.

I really wanted it to work, but with various critics bemoaning how they've "sold out", I was a bit worried.

Well bloody hell, it works! I had more laughs out of this than any comedy I've seen in ages, and it's all based around the quality of the script. It's irrelevant that Paul is a CGI creation - he has to work as a character, which relies on the writing, and they've done it brilliantly.

I don't think everything works - Pegg, Paul (Seth Rogen) and Jason Bateman are awesome, but Frost is a bit wooden and Wiig's character transformation doesn't convince. Plus the ending fizzles out - it doesn't inventively attack clichés in the way the rest of the film does so successfully.

But there are fantastic moments all through the film, the swearing is epic, and there are enough sci-fi and film references to sink a B-Wing :p.

Harry Brown
Meant to see this at the cinema, but failed, so recently caught up with it on Sky.

Wow. A low-budget Death Wish re-hash with a first-time director led me to expect little, but this is a cracking film!

Michael Caine delivers another fine performance, this time as a pensioner vigilante - as he ages, he's managing to find roles that still get the best out of him.

Full marks to director Daniel Barber: the film is really well shot, using digital cameras and natural light to great effect, and it's well staged, with a permanent sense of menace (even from Plan B, in a solid acting debut), plus its got an excellent soundtrack to boot.

It's not always an easy watch, but then given the subject matter, it shouldn't be.

The only problems I had were with the unrealistic representation of the Police, which undermines the plot and some key characters, and the ending
which seems to be saying that vigilantism is the solution to society's ills. It needed to be more ambiguous.
But overall this a British treat, if you like your films dark.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ I watched Harry Brown a few weeks ago and LOVED it. There were plenty of "I didn't see that coming" moments. Excellent.

As I'm here, I'm getting bored of watching films now. Once the 25 titles in my bumLOVEFiLM have been eaten through, I'm going to save myself £13 a month. I had a good run, 150 films+ in a year, but I've burnt it out now.

Casio

Mega Poster
Haha well on the contrary I thought Paul was shocking, I like Pegg and Frost's previous stuff, I even liked Run Fatboy Run which most people don't seem to, but this was just poor. The swearing was funny for shock the first couple of times, but they just resorted to it far too much as it wore on. Some of the Sci-fi touches were nice, especially the Mos Eisley music in the bar, but I thought generally it was the same old un-funny stuff.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Gnomio and Juliet

It was "cute", and raised a couple of smiles, but that's about it.

It's nice to see Elton John's wife actually do something for himself though, like ask his meal ticket if he can put some songs into his little media project.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Right, better update my film count in here then...:

Last week I went to see Never Let Me Go which I have wanted to see since it was at London Film Festival and since peep gave it a favourable review.. It was very good, and was a love story with a strange mix of sci-fi within. You kind of forget the sci-fi when you’re in the film, but it always comes back to you – the sci-fi section kind of reminded me of The Island as it was based upon similar ideas. It was sad at times, but Kiera Knightly and Carey Mulligan together with their younger counterparts were brilliant in it, and entirely believable. I really enjoyed this film, and I can see why it was so well received by critics.

8/10

Yesterday I had a cinema day and watched 3 films:

First up was Paul. I love Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, so I was really looking forward to seeing that, and it was just as I expected. Rude, crude, clever, sneaky and had create cultural and geek references, to which I picked up on a fair few and probably missed a load more :p It wasn't outstanding, nor poor, but I am always going to compare it to Hot Fuzz and SotD to which this one just about matches up to Hot Fuzz.

7/10

Next up was True Grit. Wow. I'm not really all that keen on Westerns, but Coen brothers always do their films just right. Hailee Steinfeld's performances is quite outstanding, especially from such a young novice. Jeff Bridges was - as always - incredibly hard to understand, but the whole film really captured the great story and I really engaged well with it. Unusual to see some jokes at the end of each scene which actually make you laugh, which clashes with some of the quite gruesome parts within it. I certainly left with a smile on my face.

8.5/10

Finally, we saw Just Go With It. Why oh why oh why we did, I have no clue. Mixing Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston into one film just causes me so sigh very loudly. The film itself had many, many jokes...and around 90% of them weren't funny at all. It was too much like a Sandler film, and if you've seen one Sandler film, you've pretty much seen them all. Females = hot though. That was the only thing preventing me from leaving early.

4/10

peep

CF Legend
It's funny how you picked up on similarities between Never let me go and the island, I never did but my parents said the same thing. In fact, they weren't as keen on the film once they were aware of the similarities. However I'm not sure where all three of you are coming from. Where are these similarities and why does it effect the film so much? I have seen the Island and thought it was mediocre at best and Never let me go is so much better and the only similarity I can pick up on is well,
they both feature clones
My issue is that LOTS of films feature the same issue but in totally different ways, why is it only similar to one film? It's like saying all comic book adaptations are the same because they are all based off comic books, it's a retarded comment. Sorry, but I just had to throw that out there :D

Totally agree with you in regards to Paul and True Grit (although I think Paul is better than Hot Fuzz :p).

Haha, Congrats for getting through the entirety of Just go with it. I've avoided that movie as it involves two people that I loathe (Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston). Yeah, there is no way you'd get me watching that rubbish lol.

Yesterday I watched Despicable me on blu-ray.

I love this film so much, it's absolutely spot on, the jokes are always funny (if sometimes very subtle), the animation is great and the voice casting is superb (I mean, whoever came up with Julie Andrews as an evil mother is genius!). So yeah, if you haven't seen this film be sure to check it out as it's amazing.

Rating: 4.5/5

Slayed

Hyper Poster
peep said:
Where are these similarities and why does it effect the film so much?
Not seen the film, because I read the book and really hated it!

The plot remains the same though, and the comparison with "The Island" is fair, because:-
it's based specifically on people being farmed solely as human spare parts - see also the older "Parts: The Clonus Horror", and the book "Spares" by Michael Marshall Smith.
One of my main problems with the book is that it re-uses a well-known sci-fi idea, adds nothing new to it other than lots of emoting/pouting, but because it's by a "quality" author it's AMAZING according to the literati. Bollocks is it, bloody critics, go read some Philip K Dick! :x

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
peep said:
It's funny how you picked up on similarities between Never let me go and the island, I never did but my parents said the same thing. In fact, they weren't as keen on the film once they were aware of the similarities. However I'm not sure where all three of you are coming from. Where are these similarities and why does it effect the film so much? I have seen the Island and thought it was mediocre at best and Never let me go is so much better and the only similarity I can pick up on is well,
they both feature clones
My issue is that LOTS of films feature the same issue but in totally different ways, why is it only similar to one film? It's like saying all comic book adaptations are the same because they are all based off comic books, it's a retarded comment. Sorry, but I just had to throw that out there :D

That was the main similarity, but another feature made me liken it The Island (which I had to sit through countless times in Science at GCSE, hence why I picked up on it so much while watching NLMG :p):

I felt the relationship that built between Kathy, Tommy and Ruth in Never Let Me Go was similar to that of Lincoln and Jordan in The Island. Ok, granted, most stories have a relationship build very similarly, but I dunno, when I discovered the plot "twist", all that way in my mind was The Island. Plus the use of spare parts for well-off people etc.

Like you said, I know there have been many films along a similar strand as a lot of sci-fi is, so there are probably countless films that can be linked to both The Island and Never Let Me Go. Needless to say, Never Let Me Go was MUCH better than The Island :p

^ And I agree with Slayed above as well :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
To buck the trend of new films, I watched the 1949 "Ealing Classic" Kind hearts and coronets last night with Madame_Furie.

It's one of those films that has been on my "must get around to watching it sometime" list for years.

It's a subtle, gentle and generally wickedly humoured film. You'll very rarely laugh out loud, but it's just so much fun and so full of wit. Excellent stuff and well worth digging out. Sorry ,nothing gets blown up and nobody gets their norks out (or whatever it is that A-Kid needs from a film this week ;) )

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I signed up for a 30 day free trial of LoveFilm yesterday, so while I wait seemingly ages for them to set things up and ship out my first DVDs, I streamed a few from their site which came free with my package:

Firstly, I watched Spongebob Squarepants - The Movie. Being a bit of a fan of Spongebob, I was shocked I hadn't seen it, and I am so glad I did. Just like the TV show, it had plenty of things the kid would love, but even more for the adults. It was just brilliant, and Hasselhoff as a speed boat was simply hilarious!

Many, many laughs, and a highly enjoyed "kids" film.

7/10

Last night I also watched The Wedding Singer. I tend to find some of Adam Sandler's earlier work a lot more tolerable than his new films, and this was certainly tolerable. Not as funny as I expected, and the storyline was very predictable, but Drew Barrymore was most definitely at her sexiest. Nom.

It was worth a watch, but delivered not as much as I'd have hoped. I was reminded very strongly, however, just how bad 90s hair and 90s fashion was *shudder*.

6/10

Just finished watching After Sex, which was ok, but didn't live up to it's potential. The storylines were not too bad - some funny, some cringeworthy, others quite emotional. There are some good messages to take from each scene, but it just didn't quite fit together and I felt the film wasn't really going very far.

It wasn't awful by any means, it just could have been better.

5.5/10

Expect a heck of a lot more reviews over the coming month.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Hall Pass

While I shouldn't have had high expectations for this, I forced myself. I always hope Owen Wilson will be Wedding Crashers good, but he never is. This movie, while funny, was extremely predictable, I'm sure people have a good idea what happens just by the plot, and it did provide a few great laughs, and a few, did that just really happen moments, but, it lacked the killer instinct to make it great. More of a rental, but the woman loved it, probably because she got to stair at ripped guys half the time. Austrialian chick in it, ****ing smoking though.

7/10

Tomorrow is the roommate, and I despise suspense/thriller movies. They aren't enjoyable to me, but oh well.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ I might give Hall Pass a shot soon then :)

As I warned you - more reviews:

Watched The Weather Man last night. With all the discussion in this topic about Nic Cage, I thought I'd give this once a shot. His performance wasn't too off-putting or dull, which was shocking and the story did carry. It felt like it lacked something which could have made it a reasonably good film. It was a good enough watch.

7/10

Just watched The Lovely Bones which I have been meaning to watch for quite a while now. It was a film of thirds - the first third was great! Really engaging, great performances and the narrative drew me in. The second third used far too much lacklustre computer graphics, which left me feeling like I was in a really naff CGI film. It was very off-putting. And the final 3rd was a mixture of both. A real shame as I liked where the film was going at the beginning, just a shame that something which could have been a little hassle turned into a massive use due to it's overuse...

6.5/10

Nic

Strata Poster
Finally got round to seeing Paul last night

I was almost dreading seeing this. I'm a big Frost/Pegg/Wright fangirl, and therefore firmly believe that none of them should be let out on their own without both of the others in tow. As a result of this, coupled with a few dodgy reviews, I was convinced I'd hate it.

Thankfully, I was wrong! It's not going to threaten my list of all time favourites (which, incidentally, does include Shaun of the Dead), but it is a very good film, and very funny. The cinema was pretty empty (4:15 on a friday afternoon in a 15 cert film) but that didn't stop the room filling with laughter every few minutes.

As its something that everyone else has done in every single review I've seen of this film, I'm going to mention the swearing. However, I was actually relatively disappointed. Everyone been banging on about how it's a constant barrage of curses, and is really filthy... and it just wasn't. Yes, there was a lot of unnecessary swearing (swearing for swearing's sake - it's kinda part of the storyline), but not as much as I'd been led to expect by all the press its had.

I'd also like to mention that, on the whole, I thought the CGI was very good. There were only a couple of moments when it looked a bit awkward, but apart from that, I was very impressed.

So, overall, nothing ground breaking, but well worth a watch for a good laugh

4/5

nadroJ

CF Legend
ciallkennett said:
Last night I also watched The Wedding Singer. I tend to find some of Adam Sandler's earlier work a lot more tolerable than his new films, and this was certainly tolerable. Not as funny as I expected, and the storyline was very predictable, but Drew Barrymore was most definitely at her sexiest. Nom.

It was worth a watch, but delivered not as much as I'd have hoped. I was reminded very strongly, however, just how bad 90s hair and 90s fashion was *shudder*.

6/10

It's set in the 80s.

Edit: Nic, I loved Paul too! It was so funny, the swearing added to the film I think (the things the girl comes out with haha!)

My favourite characters were the two 'dumb' cops (can't remember the actors' names but they're in every comedy film at the moment) some moments of pure genius from those two.

I really enjoyed it =]