What's new

"Now Showing"

Ollie

CF Legend
Seen a couple of DVD's recently.

Small Soldiers:
Used to absolutely LOVE this film as a child and my mum got it for me on DVD as I lost the VHS years ago.
The film is basically Toy Story gone evil. :p
It's still as good as I remember it and love how back then you could have them talk about drugs like crystal meth and have people getting impaled in a kids film and get away with it. :p

Dispicable Me:
Heard lots of people tell me how great and hilarious the film was so decided to put it on.
It was alright. It wasn't hilarious and it was obviously aimed at VERY young children as it didn't have a plot and it was mostly toilet humour. It was fun to watch and I laughed a couple of times but it wasn't as amazing as everyone said it was.

Oh and we put Pineapple Express on but got bored so turned it off.

peep

CF Legend
What Snoo said. Be quiet Ollie. Despicable me is AMAZING. No plot? I think you must have fallen asleep as there is a very clear plot. Only aimed at kids? Yes, because all kids know about the Lehman Brothers bank. Silly Ollie is silly.

Oh and Oscars were mainly predictable, a few laughs here and there and the company I used to work for got a mention in the Best Film speech so that was weird lol :p

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Despicable Me

It's a good film, unfortunately with Toy Story 3 also out this year it certainly was over-shadowed to a degree...

However, it's still great fun, dunno how all the humour is toilet based... Because it's a lot of slapstick comedy which helps it work on a world-wide level...

And the Lehman Brother joke <3 Joke of the year by far...

Dunno how there isn't a plot either... But then again, Ollie's opinion of films are very weird...

Also, Minions <3

9/10

So aside from jumping on that discussion after watching it this weekend, I move onto my cinema trip...

Paul

Well, THIS has toilet humour... But I really really enjoyed this... There was a slight worry that it wasn't going to reach similar levels as Shaun and Fuzz, but it damn well tried it's best and succeeded in my opinion...

All the characters involved were very entertaining, from Mr Tambor's turn as that famous guy who hates his fans, and Jason Bateman's sneer... Everyone involved played their roles extremely well...

Paul himself... Is weird... It's a CGI alien voiced by Seth Rogen... And considering he acts like Seth Rogen in many of his other films, it's hard to actually not see Seth himself... A slight blergh on my part, but never the less he was very entertaining and actually partly loveable...

Is it as good as Shaun and Fuzz? I didn't think so because of the slight lull in the plot speed at points, but, it's not too far away from the two...

9/10

Ollie

CF Legend
There was a plot but all it was was... 'Adopt children to steal shrink gun from enemy'.
The rest was just made up with unfunny jokes and him trying to be a father. I'm not saying it was a crap film as I enjoyed it. It's just not that funny.

Jer

Strata Poster
Last night I watched A Beautiful Mind all I can say is wow, not what I expected at all. I had an basic idea about what it was but I thought it was going to be about math, with the main focus on the mans work. But what I got was a real look into the degrading nature of schizophrenia and how it not only effects the person but the people around said person. It really is just a fantastic movie, just wow.

10/10

Ollie

CF Legend
^We didn't hate it. It's just it was late and we were tired and nothing had happened in the first 15 minutes so we decided to turn it off and go to sleep.
I'm sure it is good and I'll get to see it all in the future.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
marc said:
Tried watching Despicable Me on Saturday, I fell asleep.

He did you know!

It was quite a good film though, Marc's sleeping has no bearing on the quality! Not the best animated film i've seen recently, but it was good, and there's definitely some humour aimed at adults rather than kids in there too. Worth a watch, probably a 6 or 7 out of 10.

Nic

Strata Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
All the characters involved were very entertaining, from Mr Tambor's turn as that famous guy who hates his fans, and Jason Bateman's sneer...
Arrested Development cast <3

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I saw the midnight showing of Pineapple Express, I didn't laugh more than 5 times. Everyone else in the theater did, then again they were passing out brownies before the movie.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I am Number Four

This movie could have been a lot better. But, it was still very good. If they would have added an extra half hour, providing back story on the aliens and their planet, but you were left in the dark. Number 6, didn't giver a name, was smoking though. They could have done a lot more, but if they do make a sequel, I will definitely be seeing it.

7/10

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Battle: Los Angeles has the potential to be another District 9, which is an absolutely amazing movie and one of my favorites. It also has a chance to be horrible. The March release makes me question it. I worked at two different movie theaters for three years, wrote movie reviews, I pretty much live on movies. The slowest/worst movie months are March/April and September. March/April because its right before the "summer season" so its generally crap that comes out, i.e. Rango (looks awful) and Take Me Home Tonight. September follows the summer season, and while you will get an occasional good one, Italian Job, they are all C+ movies at best. So with that, its hard to judge what B:LA will be. There is a large split between those who are PUMPED about it, and those who have ZERO desire to see it. The previews really haven't given away anything, besides for a small amount that they are colonizing earth, and LA is the last stand, which could be good or bad.

I HOPE it will be good, but it can just as easily suck. I will be seeing it opening weekend, as it has a great cast as well. It will grow or die by word of mouth.

peep

CF Legend
Right, time for my latest film reviews...First up, Rango

Wasn't too sure what to expect going in but I'm so glad I saw it, I thought it was excellent. The animation was so amazing, I think at times they may have incorporated real footage because it just looked too good, so yeah, top marks to the guys behind the animation. The story was basic, a riff on a general western plot. Great characters and one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a long time (ok, well since Tron legacy :p and I'm seriously buying the soundtrack) and it was really funny. It was a little odd at the start but once it got going it just didn't stop, just one fantastic film. Oh and I never realised the voice cast was that epic. I was well aware of Depp in the lead role (I swear it was the only thing the trailers mentioned) but the entire cast was just epic, Bill Nighy as a villain <3

Rating: 4.5/5

Next was Unknown

I loved Neeson in Taken, was a real surprise of a film and I was hoping for something similar. However they showed so much in the trailer that any shock or surprising element had been completely spoiled/ruined. Shame, I was hoping to enjoy this film and I just didn't, there were some nice touches in there but the trailer gives so much away that there is nothing unknown to the audience, so I suppose that is kinda ironic. It's also one of these wannabe Bourne films where the action scenes are so shaky you just give up trying to keep up and get bored/annoyed.

Rating: 2/5

I am Number Four

I really enjoyed this, yes, maybe it is a little predictable but the characters are well developed and the special effects were effortlessly cool and snazzy. I sit in hope that the sequel gets greenlit.

Rating: 4/5

The adjustment bureau

I like Matt Damon and Emily Blunt and they had some great scenes together in this film. Annoyingly, once again, I felt that too much was shown in the trailers. It's an enjoyable film but nothing too special and occasionally lingers for too long and gets a tad boring. So, if there weren't so many good films on at the moment I'd recommend this but for now I'd say leave till it's released on DVD/blu-ray.

Rating: 3/5