What's new

"Now Showing"

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The Fast and the Furious (first one)

Not worth the hype really. Hadn't seen it before so I watched it. It was corny. The "racing" was dumb.

6/10

2 Fast 2 Furious

All I had heard was how horrible it was, false. So much better than the first, but still not the best.

7/10

Fast and Furious

Best of the three I have seen. Jordana Brewster. Yes please.

8/10

Jer

Strata Poster
Rango

Didn't want to see it in the first place, it's a pass though, good thing it was free. I'll give it a 5 because the visuals were actually pretty damn good. Don't waste your money, the only reason I saw it is because my friend works at a movies theater and gets us in for free.

5/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Finally got around to watching The Human Centipede. I was curious to see how they could take a disgusting concept and make a film that could be more outrageous and disgusting than the premise of the film. The answer is they couldn't and it was a completely pointless experience. It wasn't actually quite as dreadful as I was expecting, but it was still pretty bad. Well worth recording on SciFy just to ease my curiosity.

Also finally saw Frost/Nixon which was good as expected. Ron Howard has come a long way since Willow... Exciting though, he's directing Stephen King's Dark Tower... Well, I'm excited :)

Also saw the new(ish) Sherlock Holmes which I kind of enjoyed. It never seemed to settle down, but when it was settled, it was a great film, but it just rambled and wasn't focussed enough. Frustrating as RDJ was superb in the role and the world created was excellent. Some blinding scenes and shots ruined by a tedious and underwhelming plot. Irritating film, but I enjoyed it.

Buried

Well, I already knew what happened at the end, but the movie was still alright. Would have better if it hadn't been spoiled earlier, but yeah, like everyone said, for being a guy in a box the entire time, it was good. End was unorthodox, which made it even better.

7/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
MOAR FILMS!

I watched American History X which I was kindly lent. I really, really enjoyed this film - Edward Norton was simply brilliant, and the violence is few and far between but quite shocking still. I enjoyed how the story developed, with the flashbacks and narration and the ending was quite shocking and left me a little emotional, which doesn't tend to happen to me in crime-dramas. It was quite simply brilliant - a modern masterpiece.

9/10

I then watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I have never seen or known anything about Rocky Horror other than it contains people n drag and is popular in the LGBT community. It was very weird, quirky, strange and for the most part nonsensical, but I really enjoyed it. Tim Curry is surprisingly sexy in stockings and suspenders... :p I'd love to go see it at the theatre as it seems like good fun.

7/10

I then watching Sunshine Cleaning. I enjoyed the film, it wasn't amazing and it had some funny moments, but nothing to write home about. I felt the film could have lasted longer with more depth into character relationships as I felt some begun to show near the end, but then the film ended. A shame, but didn't ruin the film too much.

7/10

I watched Hoodwinked, which was actually quite terrible. the animation was awful - it reminded me of cheap, tacky computer animated TV shows you see early in the morning on Channel 5. The story was hardly engaging, and was very dull, there wasn't any funny humour and I just felt a bit annoyed that I decided to stream it as opposed to many other films I could have chosen.

4.5/10

Finally, I watched Rebecca, Hitchcock's first Hollywood film. It was really good, far from his best, but interesting to watch as his style is present but you could see its early development and how it changes over the years. The story was quiet engaging, although predictable, and the whole film was just great to watch.

8/10

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
A few from the weekend...

Burke and Hare

Very dark comedy, with an assorted array of British talent (including Tim Curry and Christopher Lee <3) speaking with dodgy accents... It was very good and at least generally followed the tale...

Not much else to say about it really... Nothing really stood out...

7/10

RED

Ahhhh, Bruce Willis likes taking the piss sometimes don't he... This was a good film, with the 4 main actors being great, Malkovich stood out, whilst Freeman was under-used...

Good old fashioned romp really... Typical comic book affair with older characters... Plus Helen Mirren with THAT Mini-Gun <3

7/10

Terminator 2 - Judgement Day

Well well well... Not only one to add to the 250 list but actually this kinda surprised me... Why?

The effects... How well they have aged is a real testament to the crew... Aside from that it was actually pretty good (I don't always see eye to eye with Mr. Cameron), even if it lagged in a few places here and there, it more added to the film's depth and story rather than felt like filler...

So a very rare score from me...

10/10

Nic

Strata Poster
ciallkennett said:
I watched Hoodwinked, which was actually quite terrible. the animation was awful - it reminded me of cheap, tacky computer animated TV shows you see early in the morning on Channel 5. The story was hardly engaging, and was very dull, there wasn't any funny humour and I just felt a bit annoyed that I decided to stream it as opposed to many other films I could have chosen.

4.5/10
You, are RUBBISH! Hoodwinked is amazing. One of the funniest animated films I've ever seen. By miles. In fact, that reminds me, I've been meaning to buy it on DVD for ages...

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Nic said:
ciallkennett said:

4.5/10
You, are RUBBISH! Hoodwinked is amazing. One of the funniest animated films I've ever seen. By miles. In fact, that reminds me, I've been meaning to buy it on DVD for ages...

Sorry Nic, it just didn't do it for me :p

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Double post, but meh.

I just watched my 400th film (that I have watched in its entirety, I can remember and can pass judgement on) which was Star Trek. I'm not a fan of Star Trek the TV series whatsoever, and I decided to give this a go after hearing people say when it came out at a time that they were no fans but loved it.

They were right.

It was very good, highly enjoyed and quite engaging. It was nothing like I expected, and I really enjoyed the casting of Simon Pegg as Scotty - excellent performance. I can see why this has made both Trekkies and film fans both unite in agreement. Plenty of action, explosions and intense scenes.

8.5/10

God, 400 doesn't even sound much. However, if each film average 100 mins, I'd have watched 40,000 mins of film = 666 hours 40 mins = 28 days of continuous film watching without re-watching any film :p

peep

CF Legend
Saw two films today. First was Animal Kingdom

I thought this was very good. The main guy in it couldn't pull off some of the more emotional scenes but overall he was very good/convincing and the rest of the cast were great too. It was also the first film in a very long time where I felt satisfied with the ending, it was simple, sorta predictable but it's exactly what I wanted to see and I just found that to be really relaxing which if you've seen the film you'll probably think I'm mental lol :p But yeah, it is a very good film and if you can find a screening you should check it out.

Rating: 4/5

Next up was Drive angry

I love Nic Cage when he plays mental people, in my opinion he wasn't as mental as I would have liked in this film but he was good. The film itself was just pure gorefest but it was fun. Some of the CGI looked quite 90s, if that makes sense but it felt like it was on purpose, trying for the b-movie look. So it was a good bit of fun, just wasn't as awesome as I was hoping for.

Rating: 3/5

tomahawk

Strata Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I saw something about Mean Girls 2 in Richie's Facebook status and then decided to watch it.

What TOTAL GARBAGE.

2/10

Complete ****. I watched it, well first 5 minutes, then I grabbed my roommates gun and it looked like a good idea.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I saw something about Mean Girls 2 in Richie's Facebook status and then decided to watch it.

What TOTAL GARBAGE.

2/10

If you remove the "2" bit from the film title, this post still makes sense and is agreeable.

Ben

CF Legend
The first one is one of the most quotable, awesome High School movies ever made. It's an absolute classic, and everyone with a sense of humour loves it...

Nic

Strata Poster
Yeah, the first one is amazing. Didn't know the 2nd one even existed, but its bound to be tripe. I stupidly sat through one of the sequels to Bring It On once. That was bad enough.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Yeah, first Mean Girls is one of my "secret" favorite movies. I own it and man up to it. It amazes me how smoking Lohan used to be before her train wreck. Rachel McAdams? Yep. Yeah that movie has some smokin chicks. Boo you whore. Win.