What's new

"Now Showing"

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I'm disappointed with the three of them tbh. I thought 9 was one of the most original & better films of the last year. The animation was quirky & imaginative, the direction & editing was well paced/never dull, plus the writing was superb due to the limited amount of dialog. It might not reach the same heights as Wall-E or Up (excuse the pun :wink: ), but a hell of a lot better than The Princess and the Frog, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Monsters Vs Aliens, Astro Boy, Planet 51, Ice Age 3 or even Fantastic Mr. Fox for that matter.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
SnooSnoo said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:

Well.. Shortest movie ever.. Not as good as people were saying, but still good. It just seemed like a bunch of little dudes trying to escape the machine and getting their souls sucked out the entire time. But, it kept me entertained and it did make me sad, especially when Taylor died </3

6.9/10

Spoiler much? I've seen it, but come on.

I recommend quoting the the spoiler over and over to make sure everyone sees it :roll:

Ooooh, now what have I seen recently?

Star Trek on Blu-Ray last night. It's still a great no brainer of a film. It's fun, quirky and an easy watch. Slightly less impressive on the small screen, but still excellent entertainment. 8/10.

I watched something else too, but can't remember what, must have been great :p

I did catch the back end of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on Saturday night. I've not watched it again after seeing it at the cinema. I remember why now - pretty piss poor actually. I know there have to be changes, but I think that Douglas Adams would be turning in his grave at the Americanisation of the film :(

Oh, I watched Underworld: Rise of the Lichens (as my friend recommended it to me as). Of course, I was expecting a film full of damp, focusing on flat main characters with a slow and pointless story badly written and acted even worse. It's exactly what I got, but it wasn't about lichens, but lycans (as in lycanthropes) and vampires.

The review remains the same (oh yeah, you were **** as Slartibartfarst too - not just **** as the vampire elder).

Erm, don't bother, even on Blu-Ray :p

4/10

I'm disappointed with the three of them tbh. I thought 9 was one of the most original & better films of the last year. The animation was quirky & imaginative, the direction & editing was well paced/never dull, plus the writing was superb due to the limited amount of dialog. It might not reach the same heights as Wall-E or Up (excuse the pun ), but a hell of a lot better than The Princess and the Frog, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Monsters Vs Aliens, Astro Boy, Planet 51, Ice Age 3 or even Fantastic Mr. Fox for that matter.

The animation was cool for sure, but for Tim Burton playing a role in it, I was just a bit disappointed considering I usually love his films. Cartoon wise, Coraline was a lot better, and I didn't like the way all the characters looked the same in this.. It made it.. Dare I say it.. Confusing sometimes :p .

And yah okay I know I posted spoilers, but really, who was going out and rushing to see 9 anytime soon? Didn't think so :p .

Also, I don't think Marcus was saying "sounds about right Ollie" to agree with him, but to say that it's typical of Ollie to hate a good movie, because I'm pretty sure Marcus liked it if I'm not mistaken.

Snoo

The Legend
Nemesis Inferno said:
Snoo disappoints me with his agreement with Ollie and Taylor over film opinion :( ;)

Whoa whoa whoa. I LOVED 9. While the story could have used a bit more work, I found the film stunning. I was simply pointing out how Taylor is a tard and that 'sounds about right' from Ollie in terms of him not liking good films.

I knew that sounded bad when I wrote it but figured no one else would notice.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Well, that's a relief. Good to know that your taste in films still matches mine. Sorry for the misunderstanding bud. :oops:
Also figures Taylor would get confused with the characters & think that Burton would have more to do with the film other than putting the cash behind it being made into a full length feature. FYI Tay - Tim loved the short & stayed hands off because he liked what writer/director Shane Acker does all on his own.
As far as Ollie, well Snoo is spot on with his comment. (And I believe Taylor also agreed with Ollie's misguided view of Slumdog. :p )

nealbie

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Slumdog Millionaire:
Saw trailers for this all over the place when it was first release with people raving about how good it was. Even then I didn't think that much of it as it looked boring from the trailers. Anyway tonight Channel 4 showed it on TV so I decided to watch it to see what all the hype was about. It started of pretty well but after the bit where they jumped off the train in front of the Taj Mahal it just got less interesting. From then on the whole film was boring until the last bit where he was answering the final question.
From a technical view it's good. The camera shots are good and the filter makes it look good as well. Although the script was boring and there was so little plot it failed to engage me in what was going on. Pretty soon in every character annoyed me and I didn't care what happened to them which isn't meant to happen in a film. It's just so long and filled with such pointless stuff.
Seriously don't see why it got all the awards it did and why people love it so much.5/10

That's not misguided Jerry. It's just a ****ing crap film.

Also figures Taylor would get confused with the characters & think that Burton would have more to do with the film other than putting the cash behind it being made into a full length feature. FYI Tay - Tim loved the short & stayed hands off because he liked what writer/director Shane Acker does all on his own.
As far as Ollie, well Snoo is spot on with his comment. (And I believe Taylor also agreed with Ollie's misguided view of Slumdog. )

Oh, I didn't think Burton had that much to do with it, it just didn't really seem his style as much as his other films. And I don't completely agree with Ollie about Slumdog.. I liked it more than a 5/10, but it was still overrated.

Sorry for the spoilers guys.. But seriously, the spoiler I posted isn't the main part of the movie so, watch it anyway.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Ah Snoo, my apologies, the way it was worded sounded like you were agreeing, and I don't know what page you reviewed it on so trawling through was not an option for my sanity...

Not perfect I agree, more fleshing out of the story and a longer running time was needed... Hopefully the DVD gives bonus stuff...

Burton was only a Producer on it as well, hence it wouldn't have his 'mark' as much as the other ones of his do...

Ohhhh, I want to see it again :( *pre-orders DVD*

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Remembered the other film I saw... Angels and Demons on Blu-Ray.

It was, erm..? Well, it was just a point to point action/mystery with some not very well explained conspiracy theory overtones.

Pretty mindless, pretty dull actually. 6/10.

Dave

CF Legend
It's Oscar time again and I really want The Hurt Locker to win Best Cinematography, it was a stunning film to watch.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Just been to see Up In The Air

The story is a bit dragged out, its all about a bloke who goes around USA and fires people on behalf of companies. There is a young recruit who wants to try and revolutionize things with technology and cut down the traveling. He takes her under his wing hows her the ropes etc. etc.

Was quite promising to start with, but draws out big time at the end.

Rating: 4/10

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Last night I watched Taken.

My sort of film - not serious, easy going, well paced and instantly forgettable.

I loved it!

Basic plot is an ex-spy's (Liam Neeson) daughter is kidnapped whilst in Paris, Neeson sets off to rescue her killing every baddie that gets in his way.

The only let down were the sickly California girls with all thier "like" and "ohhh my gaaaaaad" and "awesome!" Thankfully though they were kidnapped after 15 mins so didn't have to endure it for too long.

It's far fetched at times, there are moments that make no sense (how did he get the medical supplies to save that girl...and what the **** happened to her?) and I didn't feel any affialtion or emotion towards any of the characters.

So yeah, enjoyable.

On Ian's Does It Smell Of Wee? Scale, the odour is minimal and it's running clear although a few rogue drops may be left around the loo seat as you shake.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I thought it was a bit tosh... Well, not really - it was a silly, slightly over the top action film.

It was entertaining, but completely shallow. I was just disappointed because I knew nothnig about the film other than everyone (mostly on here) were going on about how brilliant it was. In reality, it was just run of the mill entertainment (I like run of the mill entertainment, but not when I'm expecting something interesting :) ).

So yeah, it passed two hours of my time perfectly well and it's the kind of film I'd sit and watch through again if I caught it on TV one night.

Watched The Uninvited last night )(Blu Ray).

It's the tale of a girl who saw her crippled mother get blown up in a house fire. She ends up in a psychiatric hospital because of it, and the dreams which haunt her.

She is released ten month's later, and finds that her mother's nurse has moved in and taken the "mom" position in the household, having moved in with the father.

Ghostly happenings then point out that the nurse is a known serial killer and was probably the murderer of the girl's mother. More ghosts appear as the film goes on cementing the fact.

Again, it's pretty mindless pap. It has some good "scary" scenes and the story twists and turns a little to keep you on your toes.

It's not a brilliant film, but if you like this kind of thing (The Others, What Lies Beneath, etc) then it's a good enough way to pass an hour and a half of your time :) 8/10

^ I actually forgot about that movie.. I thought it was pretty good as far as horror movies these days go. Was it the one with the good twist at the end that I shall NOT post due to spoilers? :p

Edited - I know it's not really a spoiler Tay, but if people know something about it, then it changes the way the film is watched, if that makes sense?

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
For Film, we have to watch a few films for our British case study. The film we watched first was This Is England, a film I've been meaning to watch for a long time, but hadn't got around to.

Well, what can I say. It was brilliant. Shane Meadows really has come along way since A Room With Romeo Brass, and this is one of my favourite British films now.

It was full of emotion, hatred, love, sadness and friendship, summed up superbly with its scenes. I got very draw in and almost almost cried, before realising I was in a classroom with about 5 others, so manned up. Most other cried though.

I'm so glad we'll be seeing at least 2 more times xD

Simply brilliant, a must-see.

9.5/10

In the afternoon, I went to the cinema to see Daybreakers. My expectations were low to be honest, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. It had a great plot, which was slightly predictable, but worked well.

The CGI and effects were patchy at the beginning, but improved vastly throughout. They mustn't have budgeted well with them :p

Lots of blood, gore etc etc

It was ok, not brilliant, but ok.

7/10

RCF

Strata Poster
Finished watching Hotel Rwanda in World Geography today.

Really moving movie, and I did get slightly pissed when other people were making dumb jokes about random stuff. But all that aside I thought it was a great movie, and it shows how cruel humans can be. Don Cheadle played main character Paul, and he delivered flawlessly.

9/10

(For those of you that don't know Hotel Rwanda is based on the true story of Paul Rusesabagina during the 1994 genocide in Rwanda, in which the Hutu tribe (which influenced the government to start killing their rival tribe, the Tutsi's) killed an estimated 800,000 people, most of them Tutsi. More info on the Rwandian genocide can be found here.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_Genocide

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Finished watching Four Weddings and a Funeral today. It was quite a good film actually, and now I can see why it is a British comedy classic. It was much funnier than most Brit-rom-coms and had a little edge to it which appealed very much to the Americans...that's it, it's called Andie MacDowell :p

I think this film could have easily done without her, and at times, she felt like an outsider in the whole thing.

Nevertheless, marketing is a fun game...

8/10