What's new

"Now Showing"

Ollie

CF Legend
^Hot Fuzz is indeed amazing. :)

Anyway tonight I saw...
The Pacifier:
Found this quite enjoyable. Although it's aimed at young children and teens there's jokes in it for everyone.
Vin Diesel does great playing his role and provides a few laughs. The scene with him and the wrestling teacher was great.
They could of spent a bit more time making the plot a bit more solid and the kids got annoying after a while but other than that it was a fun little film that passed the time nicely when I was meant to be writing an essay.
7/10

peep

CF Legend
Saw two films at the cinema today.

First up was Toy Story 2 in 3D.

Still an absolute classic, great animation and it has a great, fun story. The 3D didn't really add anything to it but it doesn't matter, just great to see it on the big screen in digital.

Rating: 4/5

Next was a special screening of The Princess and the Frog.

It's the first hand-drawn animated film by Disney for years and it was certainly worth the wait. The film is absolutely beautiful to watch, the music is great fun and there are some awesome characters in there (I love the villain).

After the film there was also a Q&A session with the two directors, one of the main animators and the actress who does the voice of Princess Tiana, Anika Noni Rose. It was awesome and then I got to meet Ron Clements and Anika Noni Rose, it was awesome (Ron Clements signed my copy of Aladdin :D)

peep

CF Legend
Went to the cinema after work today. I saw The boys are back.

I didn't really know anything about the film beforehand apart from the fact that it stars Clive Owen. It was a really good film and Clive Owen was awesome. The little kid annoyed me to start off with but after a while I was able to put up with him :p. It was a great story and it was just very well made. However at times it got a bit boring, overall though it was good and worth a watch.

Rating: 3/5

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
^ I'm intrigued as to how you got this experience. Was it one of those, right place right time things. For example, I saw a very early preview (1 year) of In Bruges just because I happened to be in the right place at the right time. Or was it a competition or..... Cause that would have been an AWESOME experience!!!

Dark Knight (Blu-Ray)

Already a great film, the detail added to it from the high definition presentation only adds to the experience. A hit and miss feature added is the inclusion of IMAX scenes throughout the film. While they add that little bit more "action" to the screen, its a bit annoying going from letterbox to IMAX during the major scenes.

Bonus material, especially the Bat Tech feature is awesome! Also, the interview with Hans Zimmer is amazing. His studio looks so intense.

Film - 8/10
Presentation/Extras - 9/10

Ollie

CF Legend
Getting into the 99p films of the week on iTunes now.
Anyway just watched Snatch:
Didn't know what to expect but it was 99p so couldn't complain. Anyway I was surprised. It started off well and I really liked the way they went between shots at the start. Was pretty cool and unique. It manages to keep your attention all the way through as there's always something happening. The acting is pretty good and the characters are believable. The only downside is there's so many characters to keep track off it's easy to become lost with who's after who and what they're all doing.
It's a good film though about boxing, diamonds, gangsters pretending to be Jews, a fat getaway driver, a rather vicious dog and man eating pigs.
8/10

99p of this week is Apocalypto. But still got 29 days left to watch it.

peep

CF Legend
divvie_dave said:
^ I'm intrigued as to how you got this experience. Was it one of those, right place right time things. For example, I saw a very early preview (1 year) of In Bruges just because I happened to be in the right place at the right time. Or was it a competition or..... Cause that would have been an AWESOME experience!!!

It was at the BFI. They are always having Q&A sessions etc, you usually have to pay around £10 to get in but you also have to keep a close eye on their website as the more popular screenings and events get packed very quickly.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Thank You For Smoking was on TV the other day.

I love this film. Some absolutely brilliant scenes and the whole film makes a very interesting point. Now, don't get me wrong, I hate smoking. I'm not one to fuss and moan about smokers, it's their choice, but I'll never do it, I think it's horrible. HOWEVER, this film does make some very interesting points from the 'pro' smoking side of view.

The story follows a lobbyest for the smoking companies and features some of the best argumentative reasoning ever.

Seriously, this film is brilliant. 8/10

peep

CF Legend
Last night I watched Bolt on Blu-ray.

I love this film, so awesome. Something I never noticed when I saw it the first time round (in 3D at the cinema) was how much the background looked like a watercolour painting, really strange, not sure if I liked that or not. Everything else is awesome though :D

Saw Le prophet at the cinema after work tonight.

It's actually amazing. I was really shocked by this film as I thought the trailer looked turd. The lead actor in it is great and the film has such a powerful atmosphere to it, rather gripping and intense. However at times I thought the film dwindled a bit, gets a little stale in parts. I loved the sub-plot with the friend's illness, nice touch to the film.

nealbie

CF Legend
peep said:
The Princess and the Frog

It's the first hand-drawn animated film by Disney for years and it was certainly worth the wait. The film is absolutely beautiful to watch, the music is great fun and there are some awesome characters in there (I love the villain).

No, peep. Just, no!

It's VERY poor by Disney's standards. Although admittedly Doctor Facilier is awesome, but that's about it.

You're turning into Ollie with your bad views on things :lol:

wash

Mega Poster
Apocalypto: Nothing, then walking, then running. Entire plot spoiled.
But hey, to each their own. (Except Ollie)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Apocalypto... The Avatar prequel...

Gorgeous to watch, **** story, corny as hell.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Watched The Book Of Eli last night.

I wasn't expecting much to be honest, and the first hour or so just seemed really drab and boring. The slasher scenes mixed in were a bit of place, but were moderately entertaining.

The highlight of this film (to which there are few) is the twist at the end. Completely unexpected.

The film itself had a lot of religious value and reference to it, and I was able to connect with that more than most people in the cinema.

It was ok.

6/10

Apocalypto: Nothing, then walking, then running. Entire plot spoiled.
But hey, to each their own. (Except Ollie)

I dunno why I liked it to be honest.. I liked the first little while the best, like maybe the first fourty minutes and then all the running gets a bit dry but it is in my top twenty movies for sure. The part at the Mayan Temple was scary though, not gonna post any spoilers though.

Ollie

CF Legend
Dark Ride:
Been wanting to watch this film for ages because of my fascination with dark rides and haunts. The film starts off well. The ride in the film is amazing and I'd love to ride it in real life minus the dying part. Unfortunately the film is let down really badly by some terrible script-writing, bad acting and annoying characters. They just annoy you so much that you don't care what happens to them and sometimes wish the killer would get them early to shut them up.
So yeah it's quite a rubbish film but it's worth watching to see the ride as the scenery and props are amazing. Also the soundtrack is brilliant. Really sets the mood of the film and is pretty creepy.
6/10 (really wanted it to be better though).