What's new

"Now Showing"

Mark

Strata Poster
^ The 3rd was still better then the god-awful 2nd one "The Lost World" where it went all typical Hollywood and let the TRex loose in the city.... YAWN!

But, no I think it is a very bad idea. Jurassic Park was epic, just leave it alone!!!!!!!

peep

CF Legend
Went to see OSS 117: Lost in Rio at the cinema.

I absolutely adored the first film and this is a great sequel. Yeah it's not as good as the first film(Cairo: Nest of spies) but it was still excellent. The actor has the character down to a tee and just makes the film so watchable and fun. I think it's one of those films where you have to understand the humour within the film (piss-take of old spy stories and films). If you can find this film anywhere (which I highly doubt) I really do recommend you watch it! (or maybe just watch the first film :p)

Rating: 4.5/5

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Jurassic Park was brilliant, though I'm saying that having not seen it for about 15 years.

I blame Michael Chrichton for the crapness of the sequel, since the book it was based on was **** as well. After the success of the Jurassic Park film, EVERY single one of Chrichton's books since seems to have been written to be sold as a movie, including that god-awful Lost World.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^Crichton was always pretty cinematic.

Anyone who's seen the film of Congo though probably wanted to rip their eyes out. The ONLY non-despicable thing in that film is Tim Curry <3.

peep

CF Legend
Just watched Requiem for a dream on the BBC iPlayer.

I wasn't too sure what to expect from the film but I had heard good things about it. It's a very bizarre film but I found it gripping and, at times, intense. It got a bit too weird for me towards the end though which ruined it a little for me. However it is a great film and the performances in there were brilliant.

Rating: 4/5

I also went to see Up in the air at the cinema earlier.

It stars George Clooney as a guy who basically goes round America having to sack people as their boss is too scared to do it. He then has to show a new girl how to do the job the way he does and he also starts a relationship with a lady he meets who does the same job. It was a brilliant put together film. It's been made very well, the cinematography is brilliant, the acting is superb and it's an interesting, original and very entertaining script. My only problem with the film was the ending but apart from that it was absolutely superb and I hope it does really well during the awards season.

Rating: 4.5/5

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
I'm sure everybody except me has seen this by now, but I saw Avatar today.

It was my first trip to the movie theater in over 5 years. We did the IMAX 3D thing, which certainly was a good incentive to see the thing. Overall I was certainly impressed. Visually, it's one of the most stunning movies I've seen, and the 3d certainly enhanced that. It's been said a lot, but I'll have to agree in that the storyline felt kind of tired. That said, I didn't think it was wholly bad. Yeah, I did guess correctly on a lot of occasions with who was going to die, but I didn't really feel detached from the story or anything. There was still a fair amount of emotional attachment, so it ended up being decently satisfied. I dislike depressing movies, so I was glad it wasn't all sad or anything. Overall I was definitely impressed and have to give it a 9.5 or so. I'm not in any rush to get back to a theater, but I'm glad I saw this one while it was still there.

peep

CF Legend
Went to see two films today at the cinema. First film I saw was The book of Eli.

To be honest I wasn't really looking forward to seeing it, thought it could be quite pants, it would also be the second post-apocalyptic type film within a week, how depressing lol. Oh yeah and I'm not a fan of Denzel Washington (he just happens to be in good films :p). Anyway, contrary to my expectations, I enjoyed it. It was filmed well (even if it was colour graded too much) and there were some great performances, also Meg from Family Guy looks hot :D (that's Mila Kunis for those not in the know). I loved the scene with the old couple, that was quite amusing. So it was an enjoyable film, some great scenes, some not so great scenes, great performances (when is Gary Oldman not good in a film?) and some nice quick action sequences.

Rating: 3/5

Second film I saw today was the new British film 44 Inch chest.

Stars all the British gangster-type actors and is written by the same peeps as Sexy Beast (great film). So it's advertised as quite the stereotypical gangster film yet it's so different. The majority of the film is spent in one room and as Mark Kemode pointed out in his review "is more like a play at the theatre". This is not exactly a bad thing but you do need to pay attention, very wordy, most of those words are also of bad taste lol (hence the 18 certificate). I did find it very good though, has the usual British humour in there and the whole cast gives an amazing performance. However there were dream moments which were a bit unclear as to whether they were dream sequences or not, got a tiny bit confusing but it doesn't ruin the film one bit. Yeah not as good as Sexy Beast but still a great piece of entertainment.

Rating: 4/5

Peter

Hyper Poster
Saw Avatar for the 3rd time yesterday. Still an amazing film and i'm addicted to the soundtrack. Nearly couldn't get in though as almost all showings were sold out (and we booked tickets 24 hours in advance!) Everyone who hasn't seen it yet must get out and see it now!

Also saw Sherlock Holmes in the week. I wasn't expecting much since i've not read any of the books and stuff, but it was really good and pretty dam funny in places too. Hans Zimmer is also a genius. <3

bob_3_

Giga Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0LYcCoeJY[/youtube]

The Fall

Ok I've never heard of this film, but my friend told me I had[i/] to watch it, and the dvd cover was interesting.

And honestly it's one of the most visually stunning films I've ever seen! The story is abit weird but it's a joy to watch and I recommend it to everyone!

peep

CF Legend
^Yeah, I reviewed that a page or two back. I watched it on Blu-ray, it's just so visually stunning. Glad you liked it too :D

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^^It looks a bit odd, but kinda funky at the same time. Might look out for that one.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Mark said:
^ The 3rd was still better then the god-awful 2nd one "The Lost World" where it went all typical Hollywood and let the TRex loose in the city.... YAWN!

But, no I think it is a very bad idea. Jurassic Park was epic, just leave it alone!!!!!!!

I really like Lost World, but always shut it off before the end :lol:

I enjoy the Dino round up, the bit with the Rex and the trailer is superb, when she falls and you think she's going out! Stunning at the cinema.

Also loved the bit with the raptors coming through the grass, brilliant.

Oddly, most of the film though are the bits from the original book that Spielberg didn't put into the first film. The T-Rex chasing them and getting them in the waterfall, the raptors on the roof in the compound are both right from the original novel.

The third film then also had the beach section from the first book and aviary. So you get the whole of the first book if you watch all three films.

The third was poor compared to the first (the second was okay compared to the first, until the Japanese monster movie ending which is your queue to switch it off), but they're still pretty good films overall. I do love monster movies though, and dinosaurs, and they were all great at the cinema (I saw the original about five times at the cinema I think :lol: ).

Anyway, I went to see.... AVATAR yesterday in 3D at Star City. What can I say? That 3D Alice trailer was full of win! ;)

Erm the actual film. Best kids film for the last five years. :) Actually, Up was... And maybe one of the Harry Potters.

It was still an excellent kids film though. Those funny blue cartoon people, but it was bit violent at times. Still, good stuff. 9/10.

Real review? Well, that was pretty much my impression to be honest. I felt like I spent two and half hours having my intelligence insulted if it was anything OTHER than a kid's film. The most clichéd, obvious, paint by numbers plot I've ever seen. Acting was fine, people managed to remain well within their stereotypes the whole way through. Congratulations to "shouting general", "scientist who doesn't like people", "corporate wimp obsessed with making the cut", "envious scientist who becomes warrior" and "thick grunt whose humanity and gut overcome it all".

Okay, so the film isn't actually a good film, so what is it?

It's a no brainer action flick. That's fine, no brainer action flicks are good fun. It's also the most fantastic tech demo ever.

I'm still not convinced by CG animals (and humanoids). Forget about how aggravating the whole "well, it's like a horse, but to make it alien, we'll give it six legs instead of four - who clever are we?" thing was. Movement was good (as long as you related it to the movement of things we see every day here on earth). However, the textures, skins, folds, everything just don't like quite right. They're some of the best I've seen, but the fauna in the film when up close still looks CG.

The world though? WOW! Distance shots and fast moving action scenes are utterly stunning. Integration between live action and CG too is seamless and brilliant. You do get taken in, and quite often disbelief is utterly suspended as you believe the whole of Pandora is actually a real place (or real sets :lol: ).

So technically, it ranges from very good, to "OMFG!" The tree scene and the end battle are particularly spectacular and utterly believable.

3D is the best I've seen so far. Almost flawless, just a couple of sections where I found it blurred and jagged a little (where your eyes get out of synch with the 3D a little). It did actually really add a lot to the film.

So, the film is exciting, occasionally fun and well made - stunningly made in fact. It's also was a bland plot, poor stereotypical characters and is just frustratingly "gah!". Everything is so Earth-like. Everything is so "native American being killed by the white guy". It's all so insulting!

So, I just look at it in the same way I would a Disney or Dreamworks kid's film. It works for me as I think it is, in essence, a kid's film. As such, it gets a jolly decent 9/10. As an adult's film? I'll give it 8/10 this year, 7/10 next year as the tech is surpassed/used better. Then diminishing returns each year until it hits a 5/10 :D

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Just finished watching The Hurt Locker & it's the most
icon_censored.gif
ing heavy
icon_censored.gif
ing duty movie I've ever had the pleasure to watch. It's not very often that 2 perfect 10/10 movies come out in the same year, but hell
icon_censored.gif
ing yeah!

^ Tone the potty mouth down, you're being a bad influence to us innocent folk!

Everyone seems to be saying that movie is pretty good though, so maybe I'll have to give it a watch. But, it doesn't really look my taste.