What's new

"Now Showing"

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
^^^I'll take your word for it. Guess it actually gives me something to do tonight :)

And Marc, I'll be looking out for the cool-walk-fail part :p

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
^Well just as long as there's no "let's try and be cool" slow-mo effect while he does it, then it shouldn't be too cringe worthy.

Wait, silly dancing? Oh dear God...

marc

CF Legend
I dont think there is a slow mo, I went to the loo at that part I do have to admit thats what the film was worth.

kimahri

CF Legend
marc said:
He does this bit when he tries to be cool walking down the street and I just wanted to smack him lol.

Hell even the other people in the movie were laughing at him during that.

Also, The Flag...

Christ, Spiderman 2 and 3 were ****e.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Just watched Candyman for the first time since I was a teenager. The DVD was in Asda for £2, so thought I'd give it a go.

I used to absolutely love it when I was a kid, so I was bit worried about ruining it by watching it now and realising it's rubbish. Pleasant surprise; it's not! It's still an absolutely brilliant horror film. It's got the blood and gore if that's what you're into, but is also quite intelligent and incredibly atmospheric and creepy. Plus you've got the gorgeous soundtrack by Philip Glass. Excellent stuff.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LOL! I may have to watch it again now then Gavin, I've only seen it the once at the cinema on release.

Try Book of Blood - I reviewed it a week or so back in the middle of the Avatar stuff - more great Barker horror...

Ollie

CF Legend
Watching Slumdog Millionaire at the moment on Channel 4.
It's pretty boring although it does have some nice technical shots and direction. No way it deserves all the awards it got though. It started of well but I'm slowly loosing interest in the plot and don't feel or care for the characters at all.

Ollie

CF Legend
Right so it's finished now....

Slumdog Millionaire:
Saw trailers for this all over the place when it was first release with people raving about how good it was. Even then I didn't think that much of it as it looked boring from the trailers. Anyway tonight Channel 4 showed it on TV so I decided to watch it to see what all the hype was about. It started of pretty well but after the bit where they jumped off the train in front of the Taj Mahal it just got less interesting. From then on the whole film was boring until the last bit where he was answering the final question.
From a technical view it's good. The camera shots are good and the filter makes it look good as well. Although the script was boring and there was so little plot it failed to engage me in what was going on. Pretty soon in every character annoyed me and I didn't care what happened to them which isn't meant to happen in a film. It's just so long and filled with such pointless stuff.
Seriously don't see why it got all the awards it did and why people love it so much. Now I wish I watched Haunted Mansion again instead.
5/10

peep

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Now I wish I watched Haunted Mansion again instead.

Get out.

Slumdog Millionare

I really enjoyed this film, it's just been put together so well. The actors are great, the story is interesting and gripping and overall just a very good film.

Rating: 4/5

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Slumdog was pants. From a technical view it was very good. It was also funny in places, but tbh It was repetitive and became boring after while. We all knew the outcome, so why be enthralled to make it to the end.

6/10.

Now I have to watch it again in media lessons. Great...

marc

CF Legend
Watched Temple of Doom again last night. It is by far my least favorite Indie film but has some good moments.

I want to go on that coaster :) Always wanted to as a kid lol. Now days that whole part of the film would be done using CGI and not models and I feel that would have made it worse at least it looks real.

The film has aged quiet well and does not look dated.

7/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Slumdog was pretty good. I liked the way that it still conformed to a degree to archetypical stories, but skirted the edge of being something very different. The reason it's not such an easy film to watch is because it doesn't conform to a traditional film "template". The characters are interesting, and while it does dip in the latter part, it's always good to watch.

Anyway, to go completely off the beaten track in terms of templates... Burn after Reading The Cohen's just love to make a film difficult to watch. You never know who it a protagonist, who is an antagonist and who or what the film is really all about. It takes about half the film to finally settle into it and just enjoy the ride. It's like real life, things just happen and you don't like everyone :D

It's a little more straight forward than No country for old men say - where you don't realise until right at the end that the whole film isn;'t actually about the people it follows. Burn after reading is just a farce, and once you realise it and get into it, it's quite amusing. It's not a comedy really (as in you laugh out loud - though the dildo machine scene was great :lol: ), but it's just an amusing kind of tale... Harsh, but amusing.

Not the best Cohen film I've seen, it's cutting a bit too close to being mainstream for that (and not far enough away to be a "serious" film), but definitely enjoyed it and would watch it again and get more from it :)

4/5

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I was going to watch Slumdog last night...but went to the cinema instead. Bad choice perhaps....

Due to annoying showing times by Cineworld, we were forced to watch Did You Hear About the Morgans? unless we wanted to be in the cinema 'til gone 11...

It was rather bad. The plot was predictable, acting was pretty poor and funny moments were very few and very, very far between.

It didn't help the fact that other than a group of chavs, all the others in the cinema were couples or women....and there was me and Martyn :p

It was really not worth the effort and time.

4/10