What's new

"Now Showing"

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I think, if you believe in the paranormal, you are more likely to like it. Hence why it scared the CRAP out of me. I've experienced some of the stuff in he film, so I was more likely to believe it.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
ciallkennett said:
It's the ultimate Marmite film. You'll ever love it or hate it. I recommend you see it for it's comedic value, and nothing else.
Yeah, everyone loves it and Ciall hates it. You only likes crap films anyway.
Pffft.... call yourself a film student?

I've heard very very mixed reviews on it. I may be a film student, but at least I have AN OPINION.

I don't have to like everything everybody else does, and I don't have to hate everything everybody else does.

If you actually talk to people, you will see how varied peoples opinion are on it.

(^and I believe that there is something that we can't currently explain, not necessarily ghosts/spirits)

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
^ Okay. Re-phrase.

If you believe in, and have possibly had some sort of paranormal contact, you are more inclined to believe in/like the film.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Ollie's comment was silly...

Just because someone doesn't like a film you love, doesn't make them wrong... I thought you would've learnt that with your Saw fanboyism... :roll:

What Arly says seems to be correct, as I had no iclination of going to see the film and I have very minimal belief in the 'other side'...

Evidently, Ciall either doesn't believe in the stuff the film goes on about, or for the reasons he gave in the post Ollie selectively quoted, he just didn't get into the film...

And just now my Dad has put on a Steven Seagal film, and in under 5 minutes someone has had two ****s kicked out of him... Like every other film of his then... :lol:

Gratitous violence... It's for everyone... Seriously ;)

Ollie

CF Legend
Just finished watching District 9:
Didn't know what to expect other than a big ship in the sky and aliens but had been told by people that it was very good.
Short answer. It was. :)
The film was really well directed and although it wasn't strong on the narrative the characters helped push the plot forwards. The effects were pretty good as well. Were used well and not over the top. I liked the way most of it was filmed like a documentary as well. Made it feel more real and believable.
Worth seeing if you get the chance.
8.5/10

peep

CF Legend
Saw two films today (oh yeah, the 2010 film count has begun :D).

First film of 2010 was Daybreakers.

I was intrigued by this film, had a different and quite promising storyline. It's about the Human race becoming extinct due to the demand of Vampires quench for Human blood (the majority of Humans became Vampires due to an outbreak). Yeah, so quite an original plot. It stars Ethan Hawk, William Defoe and the awesome Sam Neil. The film was quite enjoyable and the storyline was as interesting as it sounded. However, the directors ruined the film a little for me. First big problem was the constant use of a bat to make the audience jump, it destroyed any atmosphere the film had. Another problem I had with the film was how silly it all got towards the end, like the directors felt the need to have a massive scene filled to the brim with gore for absolutely no reason what so ever. One of the highlights of the film for me was the big car chase, I thought it was done very well, was intense and very exciting.

Overall an enjoyable film (if you like action/thriller/horror films featuring Vampires).

Rating: 3/5

Second film was It's complicated.

The film stars Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin. Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin play characters who are divorced but find themselves having an affair, at the same time Streep's character also starts going out with Steve Martin. It's a good fun rom com and generally keeps the audience amused through-out apart from the odd moment here and there. Best scene is probably the graduation party, had some mega laugh-out-loud moments

Definitely a nice relaxing film to watch if you're bored and want to be amused for 90 mins.

peep

CF Legend
This morning I watched The Fall on Blu-ray.

I'd never seen the film before but it looked interesting. It was really good. The cinematography was breathtaking, can't believe some of the locations, just so extraordinary and beautiful to look at. The story was quite nice and it kept me entertained. Overall a very good film which deserves to be seen in lovely HD.

Rating: 4/5

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I watched Daybreakers this afternoon. Not my choice, as I'm completely over the **** ing vampire thing now. The main character was even called Edward. Are you **** ing kidding me?! At least this one didn't **** ing sparkle.

peep said:
quite an original plot

Hmmmmm, more like a hint of an original idea, which they used to hide the fact that there wasn't much of a plot at all. Vampires have taken over the Earth: could be an interesting story in that, but no, the idea's surely enough. No, it isn't. Even that semblance of originality isn't that original anyway. How many times has Earth been taken over in films before? **** loads. This time it just happens to be vampires instead of aliens/zombies/killer tomatoes/any number of other things.

Rubbish.

Watched a couple of films last night. First one was Sorority Row. Not much to say about it really. It's just a typical teenage slasher flick. They're never really any good, but if you know what you're getting you can't be too disappointed. How the hell Rumor "Mrs. Potato Head" Willis ever got cast in anything is beyond me though.

Also watched Shuttle. I'd never even heard of it, but it was actually pretty good. There was only a small cast, most of it takes place inside a mini bus and the ending came as a complete surprise. It's not like there's a massive twist or anything: there isn't at all. It's just surprising because you really don't expect it to end that way. It left us looking at each other with a "is that it? ****, that's awful." Not awful as in an awful ending (I thought it was a great way to end it), but an awful situation.

I've finally given in to the hype and will go and see Avatar tomorrow...

Ben

CF Legend
LOL, this made me laugh...

epic-fail-avatar-plot-fail.jpg

peep

CF Legend
Recently got back from the cinema. I saw musical, Nine.

I like musicals and I love the majority of the actors in the film so I was slightly looking forward to it. It was ok, some of the songs were really good and Daniel Day Lewis was excellent in the lead role. However I felt there were parts where it kinda died or went a bit weird, I dunno, quite hard to explain. Best parts? Definitely any scene with Judi Dench and Fergie's song, was a great surprise.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
I saw 2 movies yesterday, which is probably a record for me since I'm not really a movie person to begin with.

First was Burn after Reading, which was on HBO. WTF. This one kind of left me scratching my head. The previews had made it look alright, and Clooney/Pitt seemed like a winning combination. Just not here. The storyline was mediocre at best and the comedy parts were rarely funny. It was not what I expected in the least. I'm kind of sorry I took the time to watch it. 2/10

Thankfully, the day was salvaged with Star Trek (the most recent one). I still hadn't seen it, since apparently I live under a rock and also haven't been to the theater in 4 or 5 years (really). But this was great. The storyline was a little bit complex when you run into the time travel stuff, but overall I was really impressed. It was visually fantastic and I really enjoyed the movie in general. 9.5/10

Jake

Strata Poster
I've seen a few movies recently...

500 days of Summer - Good, original, really liked how it was done. Although one or two things never got answered... 7/10

White Chicks - Not life changing or anything, but it was nice and easy to watch, and had some moments of hilarity. 8/10

Ice Age 3 - Alright... same old jokes though. 6/10.

Mulholland Drive - Compelling, but, I didn't get it! I liked how mysterious it was, and I was on the edge of my seat trying to work out what was going on. 9/10.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Tobey Maguire wasn't THAT bad, more the storylines of the second and third films...

And why is it wtf about it looking at Peter Parker? He is the main character after all... The one suffering from the whole alter ego and what not...

Yesterday I discovered this film on imdb...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320239/

TENNANT AND PEGG <3<3<3

marc

CF Legend
Cause the films are about "Spiderman" I dont want to sit there and watch a 2 hour film about someones school life when they have already moved on from that. The way it sort of read was not much Spiderman but mainly Peter Parker thats not what people would expect really. The 3rd film was bad enough.

But maybe with a new director and actor they can try and save the films.

And yes Tobey was that bad could not stand him, he was wrong for the part in the 1st place as many people said at the time.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
Personally I don't think Tobey was such a bad actor, more like one of those 'could be better, could be worse' actors. But I still haven't seen the 3rd film yet...is it even really worth it?

marc

CF Legend
^^I nearly walked out the cinema tbh, I thought it was that bad it was his worst one. He does this bit when he tries to be cool walking down the street and I just wanted to smack him lol.

Cannot fully blame him though, the director should have said it looks bad.