What's new

"Now Showing"

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ollie said:
It's just so long and filled with such pointless stuff.
Seriously don't see why it got all the awards it did and why people love it so much.

No, you're right. Whichever Saw sequel was released that year should have had more award attention. I'm not going to go back through the topic, but aren't you the person who went and paid to see Alvin and th Chipmunks: The Squeakual TWICE? Which awards do you think that particular epic should be up for in the upcoming red-carpet season?

Ollie

CF Legend
None because it's a children's movie. And I went twice only because my little sister wanted to go and see it.
It's just that Slumdog is so over-hyped. It boasts about all these awards and how everyone loves it and then it's just a long boring story where you know the ending before the film even begins.
I guess everyone just likes different films though and they can't appeal to everyone.

Ben

CF Legend
gavin said:
Ollie said:
It's just so long and filled with such pointless stuff.
Seriously don't see why it got all the awards it did and why people love it so much.

No, you're right. Whichever Saw sequel was released that year should have had more award attention. I'm not going to go back through the topic, but aren't you the person who went and paid to see Alvin and th Chipmunks: The Squeakual TWICE? Which awards do you think that particular epic should be up for in the upcoming red-carpet season?

He also hated Alien. It was at that point he wasn't allowed an opinion on films anymore.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Yes but that's all it is, an opinion. It means no one is right and no one is wrong. It's just that my film taste is different to other peoples.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Ben said:
^No. There are two types of people in the World - people who like Alien and people who are wrong.

There are three types: people who like Alien, people who are wrong and people who haven't seen Alien.

I fit into the latter.

Ollie

CF Legend
Ben you never get it do you? It's 'your opinion' that you like Alien. And besides. I never said I hated it. I just gave it a lower score than others would off as I didn't find it as amazing as people were saying.

peep

CF Legend
Went to see one of this years award contenders, The Road.

It's been getting a lot of acclaim and I've been told by peoples at work that it's an amazing book. The film centres around Viggo Mortensen and his kid who are two of a very small minority of humans who are trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic World. I failed to enjoy a single moment of this film. Towards the end the kid shows some great acting skills but I think that's the only positive thing to say about it. The film kinda drags it's heels kicking and screaming and I got the same feeling from this film that I had with Benjamin Button, that it feels so focused on the main character(s) that their isn't really a story, more a collection of small tales as they go on. In my opinion a film should be one story which flows (with the odd exception here and there), this really doesn't. Oh fine, ok, I'll admit Viggo Mortensen was quite good too but I honestly can't think of anything else positive.

Rating: 1/5

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ That's a shame peep, I was hoping to see that last night. It was the only film that looked worth watching :lol:

Last night I embarrassed both myself and Martyn by screaming like a girl, jumping in my seat and clapping when I saw the trailer for Michael Cera's new film Youth in Revolt.

I don't care what people say, I love Michael Cera, he's my man crush, and I'm going to see it in Feb. It sort of reminds me of how I feel at the moment.

My apologies to Martyn and everybody else in the cinema at that time. It was spontaneous and won't happen again :p

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm with Ollie on this. I watched Slumdog when it first came out and thought it was a rediculous waste of my life! It was really boring and never went anywhere. I cannot understand how it actualy won all the awards it did, its beyond me!

Hey Ollie, I did watch The Haunted Mansion instead, and you know I'm being totally serious!

I agree with Ollie about Slumdog.. It SO is not worth the awards it got, even though it's still decent, but I never had the urge to watch it after the first time.

I could have watched two movies today but damnit I fell asleep. They didn't seem to interest me anyway though.

Snoo

The Legend
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Got this on the hopes of it being insanely awesome like Up, but of course it wouldn't reach that plateu, but it wasn't bad by any means. I thought it was pretty funny, with a good story, and a lot of things you wouldn't think from the trailer.

7.5/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Oooh! Thanks Snoo! That reminds me.

I watched Monsters Vs Aliens and X-Men Origins: Wolverine last week.

Yeah, Slumdog DID actually deserve those awards in retrospect now :lol:

Actually, I thought Slumdog was a good film, but do agree it didn't deserve so much hype, but I watch a film to see if it deserves the hype, I watch it to enjoy it. Watching a film and expecting it to be great is the sure fire way of ensuring you won't like it. Though missing the point of the film, not understanding the tensions of relationships and the overall question of if he'd get the girl away from the gangland boss, etc, etc, etc probably doesn't help ;)

thx

Mega Poster
Some movies I've seen quite recently:

A Serious Man- You could see it was Coen movie, although it was clearly different from their other movies. Quite sad, bit funny with decent acting, but the plot was a bit boring 7.2/10.

Night at the Museum-Was bored and it came on TV, was ok, for a 'kids movie', pretty good I think, predictable oh yes, but still actually a bit better than I expected 6.6/10.

Mulholland Drive- Enchanting, exciting, interesting, nice, although the last 10mins or so were a bit weird, although they don't have to make perfect sense either given it's a Lynch movie 8.8/10.

The 51st State-Had seen a bit of this like 3 years ago, I thought it was bad then, lol. Anyway, it was ok, better than I remembered, good 'solid' entertainment, funny at times. Oh and Jackson and Carlyle do also make it better. 7.3/10

Reindeer Games- Had 'taped' well saved it on the digibox, or whatever you call them, like a year ago. It was ok, quite many 'twists' and pretty exciting, the plot was ok, as was the acting in general. Decent movie. 6.4/10

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^51st State has that great line when they take Sam Jackson to the chippy - "What the **** have you done to this fish?" :lol:

peep said:
Went to see one of this years award contenders, The Road.

It's been getting a lot of acclaim and I've been told by peoples at work that it's an amazing book. The film centres around Viggo Mortensen and his kid who are two of a very small minority of humans who are trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic World. I failed to enjoy a single moment of this film. Towards the end the kid shows some great acting skills but I think that's the only positive thing to say about it. The film kinda drags it's heels kicking and screaming and I got the same feeling from this film that I had with Benjamin Button, that it feels so focused on the main character(s) that their isn't really a story, more a collection of small tales as they go on. In my opinion a film should be one story which flows (with the odd exception here and there), this really doesn't. Oh fine, ok, I'll admit Viggo Mortensen was quite good too but I honestly can't think of anything else positive.

Rating: 1/5
Shall have to disagree on this one. It's a very high quality film, essentially an apocalyptic road movie, that deliberately shows what the reality of an apocalypse would be - i.e. bloody bleak!

The film raises many philosophical and moral issues, while dealing with the emotional impact too. Some great acting, especially from Robert Duvall and the Kid. I did feel that Mortensen's character was too solidly "nice" through the film though, and the flashback structure wasn't fully a success dramatically.

Its episodic nature would probably suit a TV series better, and how they got the money to make such a bleak film I have no idea!

But watching it was like a Hollywood Detox - it purges all the senseless violence and killing out of your system! Nice contrast to the usual :).

I'll give it an A65 (I'm trialling a new rating system for myself - A = "significant film", score is out of 100 :p).

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Finally watched The Hangover today.

It was quite good, rather funny, and seemed to follow a slightly more crazier style than Superbad. I've only heard positive things about it, both critically and from people who have seen it, and although I agree it is very good, it was slightly overrated.

Still, was good to finally see it and I want to buy in on DVD soon :)

8/10