What's new

New ride for PortAventura in 2011?

marc

CF Legend
What I am getting at is the fact that Thorpe was not getting a Eurofighter and Merlin took the coaster from Chessington to save money and not have to buy a better coaster :) If I am right Chessington does not have the same amount of visitors that Thorpe does?

Eurofighters are family coasters, and somewhere like PA needs another big thrill coaster. Thats my view.

So if they can do 1000pph why are people queuing 3 hours for it? are you telling me there are 3000 people in the queue?

Crushes Coaster is a big mistake, but people will queue for it. But I read on TPR that the coaster is already showing signs of a 7 year old coaster, thats not very good is it. But again its a family coaster, would I get in a 3 hour queue for it? no way.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Well Thorpe Park has had a few 20 thousand gate figures this year and those are the 3 hour days. Saw's queue probably fit a thousand people. Don't forget you got the new people joining, disabled and express passes. All that makes a difference to the waiting time.

Oh and Marc, TPR are a bunch of Donkeys who make things up. Who are they to say it's showing age of a 7 year old coaster? Where the **** did they get THAT statistic from?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Dollywood isn't a world class attraction though. It does very well because it's high quality, but it's still not world class - people do not sit in their flats in Birmingham dreaming of a holiday there.

Mystery Mine is also "the best" Eurofighter - not for layout though, but because they went so far into the theming.

PA was pretty good theme wise, but none of the rides were really particularly good to be honest. Some half decent theming on the stations, but nothing that made you think "OMG".

As they're currently only having limited opening on their best themed ride - it suggests that maybe they aren't willing to put quite so much effort into theming as they did before. However, I think it's irrelevant.

In a world class park, BIG sells. Even Thorpe knew this with Stealth. It's a huge coaster and it's very easy to sell. Blackpool are STILL selling tickets just on the scale of PMBO. In America, you're looked down on if your park installs soemthing with less than a 120 foot drop :p

Khan sells PA because it's a big, impressive coaster. Stampida is a mass of wood (okay a lot is Tomahawk, but it still looks impressive). Even Baco looks fantastic and impressive with the return curve over the lake.

Big coasters sell big.

For comparison, I think Alton's SW will be very similar to Mystery Mine. The way the ride is mostly hidden and the theming inside is the bit that makes the ride.

However, I don't think it will sell Alton the same way Nemesis or Oblivion (or even air and Rita) did. There's not enough "oomph" to sell. You're selling a vague concept - and idea, a story - not "bugger me, look at the size of that thing it's like nothing I've ever seen before in a coaster".

New coasters also bring people in, awesome looking new coasters always bring in awesome numbers :)

Would I return to PA for a Eurofighter? Nope. Would it stand up as a "decent and intense ride" next to Khan? Erm, not really. Even at Thorpe, it's hard to differentiate between Colossus and Saw (I'd not ride either with no preference over which I avoided first ;) ) - so at PA, it's just all wrong, wrong, wrong.

marc

CF Legend
So the answer is it is not doing 1000pph?

Baco if I am right is also slow through put?

The last thing the park need is another slow ride.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Baco does 1500pph but then Khan is only another 200 ontop of that.

PA was pretty good theme wise, but none of the rides were really particularly good to be honest. Some half decent theming on the stations, but nothing that made you think "OMG".

You need to go in the summer when all the rides are open. There are a few that will make you think OMG.

marc

CF Legend
I do agree I need to go in the summer, but I have heard what queues are like and all the break downs so that puts me off.

Plus anyway I still think it was warm enough in December to have all the rides open. But when we went they did seem to be running with very few staff.

PA have 2 coasters that invert, they need a Hyper coaster. Baco has an inline (yes I did not like it), but a Eurofighter will do the same thing. Khan loops and dives just about does everything.

What can a Eurofighter offer that they done have already?

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^I went when Baco opened during peak season, the longest I queued was 55mins and that was for Hurrikan Condor. Everything else ran like clockwork and if you stay in the hotel, you get free unlimited fast pass.

marc

CF Legend
^Mark, Rob, Martyn and Pierre went that year as well and queued hours and had to put up with break downs all day. In fact they said at one time every single ride was shut.

Ben

CF Legend
Screaming Coasters said:
DLP got Crushes Coaster, that can only do 800pph.
Well all I'm saying is if it happened, I wouldn't mind.

You mean the coaster that was basically a huge mistake and should never have been built with that low a capacity? The one that now has two hour queues when everything else is walk-on? That one? Yeah. That was a brilliant idea. PA should so take note.

Oh and Marc, TPR are a bunch of Donkeys who make things up. Who are they to say it's showing age of a 7 year old coaster? Where the **** did they get THAT statistic from?

Well, running a fairground ride with the amount of cars they do on Crush's, 365 days a year? Yeah, I can see why that might cause it to age quickly.

And I've read that elsewhere other than TPR.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
But who are TPR to say that? Nobody.

Are then engineers at DLP? No.
Do they or have they ever worked for DLP? No.
Most of all, do they maintain Crushes? No.

I will not trust them as if it were to be the case, Crushes will be down for servicing right about now.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Screaming Coasters said:
You need to go in the summer when all the rides are open. There are a few that will make you think OMG.

Do they only add the OMG theming to Stampida, Baco and Khan for the summer then? Seems like a lot of effort to be honest.

The point is, an impressive coaster doesn't need fantastic theming as the coaster itself is the focal point.

Dark rides and water rides take a mundane or mediocre ride and improve hundreds fold with good theming.

I wish Temple had been open while we were there, but I'm not heading back to the park to ride a dark ride - no matter how awesome everyone says it is. It's a superb bonus to the park, but it's not a draw.

A giga coaster with no theming would drag me back without a doubt!

Ben

CF Legend
Screaming Coasters said:
But who are TPR to say that? Nobody.

Are then engineers at DLP? No.
Do they or have they ever worked for DLP? No.
Most of all, do they maintain Crushes? No.

I will not trust them as if it were to be the case, Crushes will be down for servicing right about now.

Uh, I don't know who said it, but, who are YOU to say that the information couldn't have come from someone that answers "Yes" to those questions? Don't make assumptions Erol.

And it wouldn't have to be down now, not at all.

Though, as I say, running a coaster with that many cars, means more stress on a track that isn't perhaps designed for it. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that COULD be a problem, and thus it's not a totally ridiculous "rumour" at all and could very well be true.

marc

CF Legend
Someone who works a DLP said it Erol, they also spoke about Space Mountain and the Indiana Jones coaster. None of them coaster are wearing well. lets see the state of Saw next year, they have already had a number of problems.

Anyway better get back on topic :)

Furie I totally agree with you. Why do people go to Holiday Park in germnay, its not to ride the Vekoma thats for sure :). The only other coaster is EGF and thats enough to get people to go, says it all.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Screaming Coasters said:
^ no no, the indoor rides and shows are what its about. Temple just blew me away and so did their shows.

So put another one in then PA and not a ****ty little off the shelf rough as buggery coaster every man and his dog already has!

Take Furius Crappo out and put an indoor ride in its place in fact. Visitor numbers have only decreased since the ride was put in anyway ;)

Shows and dark rides make a complete park experience, especially one like Port Aventura. However, people will NOT come if they don't have the draw.

For PA it's the huge, impressive coasters (even though there are only a few of them). For Disney it's the whole Disney experience - family based with the added extra of coasters thrown in.

Without the shows and the like, both parks would not get as much repeat trade. However, big impressive coasters always increase visitor numbers. As PA don't have "the Disney factor", then they need to attract people with big, bad rides.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Take Furius Crappo out and put an indoor ride in its place in fact. Visitor numbers have only decreased since the ride was put in anyway ;)

How dare you!!! Wash your mouth out, Ben help me! lol

Thats another summer ride, honestly it's totally different.

marc

CF Legend
I would see Temple once, just like the show at Islands of Adventure. I would probably not bother again a 2nd time as they are always the same.

A big coaster always rides different. And tbh I was pissed off that PA shut Baco for a bloody water show, yet they could not have Temple open.

Erol I am sure Baco is better in the summer, it just was not my type of coaster and it was to rough thats all. It just done nothing for me and yet you are one of the people who want the Ring Racer to do more :) yet it does more than Baco.