What's new

New ride for PortAventura in 2011?

Scott88

Hyper Poster
I know when Baco was built, my first visit to Port Aventura was in 2006, when they were constructing it.

I just think a few more rides would be great, but I still think its a great park and I'll be going back this year.

nadroJ

CF Legend
To be frank, anything new at Port Aventura will be a good thing. In my opinion, every ride there is of a high standard and fits in really nicely regarding theme etc so anything they put in will be good. There are lots of sections in the park that I feel are 'empty' so it'll be good to start to see a few more rides filling those gaps.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
andrus said:
But imo they need a couple of thrilling high capacity flat rides too. Partly in order to have something more to do and partly in order to drag som audience away from the huge coaster queues..

These queues are not only because of the popularity of these ride but for the horrid operations. Coasters used to be properly staffed a couple of years ago, but they cut down the budget on staff and that's what you get :S

Still, another big ride would really suit the park and since every area has a major coaster except for Polynesia, a big coaster there could spread the crowds better.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
oriolat2 said:
Pokemaniac said:
B&M? Bring 'em on. They have a wide range of products, but I think we can rule out Stand-up, Sit-down and Floorless. Perhaps DM too, depending on space and height restrictions (They have Hurakan Condor, but I don't know a lot of Spanish Law). The same criteria goes for Hypers. Flyers are cool, but rare. Inverts, however... I can imagine one to be built, but I have nothing to back it up with.

Height restriction is not a problem in Spain. I mean, the park could built as high as they wanted but it's the idea of preserving the iconic presence of Dragon Khan over anything else at the park that keeps the from building any coaster taller than Khan.
So, I would rule out a hyper (mainly because they don't have compact layouts). On the contrary, I would not rule out a DM, since they don't take that much room to build and, since you can bury the drop underground (much like Oblivion), you could have a DM with a 200+ feet drop (100 feet which would be outside).

I really hope PA gets another B&M.

I'm with you.

Since Thorpe 2009 & Alton 2010 crapped out on getting B&Ms, a B&M at PA is the only thing that would bring me back to the park in the near future. Inverts have been done to death, as much as I love.

I'd want to see a DM or Flyer.
They're the ones getting built the most these days it seems.
Either a BIG DM, like One of the biggest, or a really awesomely themed Flyer ala Manta. I think wishing for a big Flyer Tatsu style is unrealistic.

andrus

Giga Poster
oriolat2 said:
andrus said:
But imo they need a couple of thrilling high capacity flat rides too. Partly in order to have something more to do and partly in order to drag som audience away from the huge coaster queues..

These queues are not only because of the popularity of these ride but for the horrid operations. Coasters used to be properly staffed a couple of years ago, but they cut down the budget on staff and that's what you get :S

Still, another big ride would really suit the park and since every area has a major coaster except for Polynesia, a big coaster there could spread the crowds better.
I agree to that the operation of the rides may be horrid, but it didn't seem as if they were low in staff. Both Kahn and Baco had plenty of staff when I visited the park, but none of them seemed to be in any hurry. Especially Baco loaded really slow, most of the time both trains were at the station at the same time :?

But I ain't angry with the operators, sure they could be a bit faster :p but generally they were really friendly and nice, so in total they gave me a possitive impression! But I do indeed think a coaster in the polynesian part of the park would spread the crowds better. And some high capacity flats like eg a sky swat would help to eat some of the crowds!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Updates and more news/rumours:

Since the Italian Invest Industrial (previous owners of Gardaland) have taken over the Park more rumours and news have arised:

- Sea Odyssey will be probably converted into a 3D simulator. It used to have a retroprojector but it was a 2D experience. Furthermore, the old effects should be back making it a better and more immersive experience. BTW, it's rumoured that the park has bought a new film for the next season. More details to come.

- Invest Industrial have hired the former manager of shows from Europa Park (Gianfranco Bollini). He will now be in charge of the shows at PortAventura. Judging by his experience and results at Europa I can only say OMG. I really hope he really lives up to the expectations.

- In 2010, PA will be starting construction for a new area. A Sesame Street area next to Polynesia which should be similar in size and ride selection to their American counterparts at the Sea World Parks.

In addition, since Bollini has set foot in the Park he has also thrown some ideas for the new thrill ride based on his experience working at Europa Park. In fact, PA might be receiving a ride similar to one at Europa (*cough* SilverTrim *cough*).

andrus

Giga Poster
^^Haha indeed :p But I guess Port Aventura maintain their rides better, hell at Thorpe they even manage to put inferno out of function at regular intervals!!

^Great info! At least the most of it, the silver thing migth not be so good with the trims.. But since the latest B&M hypers (Behemoth and Dimondback) also are those who rank the highest at Mitch Hawker the problem might not be that bad anymore??

Anyway I of course rather would have an Intamin Mega or a B&M DM/Flyer. Or maybe the "similar ride to Europa Park" infact is a clone of Blue Fire? In that case I say hell yea!! :--D

andrus

Giga Poster
Sorry for the double post but it has been more than a year since last post so I thought it was time to bump this topic! :)

It's kind of old news but when I searched the internet I found an interview from August 2010 at Port Aventura Community (originally from parksmania) with Sergio Feder, former CEO at Gardaland and now working at Port Aventura.

He confirmed (as we all know) that Port Aventura will open a new kids area for the 2011 season. But he also confirmed that the park in 2012 will open a new attraction focusing on teenagers that will be "a new global reference attraction and possibly unique in Europe in size and quality".

What can this "global reference attraction" that is supposed to be "unique in Europe in terms of size and quality" be? Let the discussion begin once again! :--D

Source: http://www.pa-community.com/p/artic...-en-2012-una-atraccion-de-referencia-mundial/