What's new

New ride for PortAventura in 2011?

Gazza

Giga Poster
gavin said:
Why would a Vekoma motorbike even be considered? Sure, it's highly unlikely, but why even include it as an option. It would be pointless given Baco, and wouldn't fit in anywhere in the park in terms of area/theme.

PA needs a Hyper, Dive Machine or Invert. That's it.

Agreed on the first point, but these 'saddled' coasters don't necessarily have to be motorbikes...we've seen horses and jet skis so far, and these could fit into the Wild West and Polynesia areas respectively.

motorbike_theming.jpg

Not that I'd want to see either of these things...I'd like to see the hyper or the dive machine actually.

andrus

Giga Poster
I would love to see an intamin mega coaster! :--D But I thought this option was already ruled out earlier because it would ruin the iconic status of Khan not being the tallest coaster? Anyway a hyper/mega coaster would be awesome and exactly what PA is missing: an airtime coaster!

Rush

Giga Poster
Dive Machine please:

- Good selling point: A vertical drop will attract more publicity than something the size of Khan with lots of hills. They can be built pretty big too and I reckon PA could make it look spectacular.

- Pretty unique to Europe/Spain. Only one other DM in Europe and the closest thing to a DM in Spain would probably be Stuntfall. Still would be lovely.

- I don't know about space but from what I've heard, a Dive Machine can fit in fine.

- Oh and it's my favourite type of coaster... so PA should definitely take that into consideration. :p

Unless I've missed something, the topic says a new ride for 2010, but surely if they're only getting opinions from guests it'll be nowhere near ready for next year? Especially on the scale of an Intamin Mega or Dive Machine. I can't see anything being opened until Spring 2011 at the earliest.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Sod a hyper when you can go even higher. Giga please. Same thing, but higher. Yes. Yes that will do just fine.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Personally, I think a Dive Machine is out of the question. It would be fantastic for the park to have one, but finding space for the huge thing, is a massive challenge for PA; unless they build beyond Stampida?

I'm still placing bets on either a Flying or compact Inverted coaster for the Polynesia area, I do think a Flying coaster would suit the park more-so than anything else.

Polynesia.jpg

There is a fair amount of spare space in Polynesia in which a Flying coaster would suit brilliantly.

marc

CF Legend
People are talking about hypers etc but does the park not suffer with high winds? If that is the case I expect these to be out the question.

Rush

Giga Poster
^I wouldn't be too sure. They have a 300 something foot drop tower afterall. I doubt high winds would affect anything. I can't see the winds there being as high as say, the winds in Blackpool.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
All of them please. It would be awesome to stand up on a motorbike, inside a 4d cinema rolling down a 200+ foot vertical drop. And the entire thing should be indoors.

In seriousness, though:

- Vekoma Motorbike Coaster - out of the question, I sincerely hope that. If not, it better be extensively themed. If they have the budget for a Hyper, they surely can shave off some 30% (guess a lot of it is a loan, so they would only aquire that much if they were to get a Hyper) and still have plenty of money to build a Disney-level-theme small coaster.

- Indoor coaster - more likely, but could still be very good if themed enough. Probably the option with the lowest running costs, but fairly expensive to put up (unless they pull a Dark Knight)

- B&M Stand-Up - Next generation? If these still are around, they could be Georgia Scorcher over again. Or they could have done like the Dive Machines, and got a reneissance with different seats and layouts, and surprise us completely. By the way, the glaring similarity to Khan might be an issue, if they don't market the stand up aspect of it extensively.

- 4D cinema - meh. If so, it better be awesome.

- B&M Dive Machine - This is the grand winner. Huge, high-profile, visible from miles around, big capacity, vertical drop, one of the first in Europe, etc. Thing is, it's extremely expensive.

- Hypercoaster - Requires room and money, lots of both, but would be a rider favourite. It can with a little effort take the height record in Europe, has a high capacity and is based on well-tried technology (which hopefully means it's reliable). Also easy to spot and market.

Hopefully, there aren't many tourist NIMHBYs around there. If so, they have nothing to do in Salou anyway.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
kebab said:
I think a Dive Machine is out of the question. It would be fantastic for the park to have one, but finding space for the huge thing

The footprints for these doesn't have to be very big though. I'm thinking of the Chimelong Paradise (Sheikra clone, or close enough to it) version. I wasn't there to see the finished product, but the construction area really wasn't very big at all.

With a Dive Machine, you can fit a 200ft+ coaster into a much smaller space than a hyper of the same height.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Port Aventura is bigger than just the land it sits on...
If you look behind rides like Khan, Stampida and others around the perimeter, you can see the expansion land which they currently use as service roads. I mean, if they can build a huge new hotel complex, I'm sure they can fit a diddy ride in.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
Port Aventura is bigger than just the land it sits on...
If you look behind rides like Khan, Stampida and others around the perimeter, you can see the expansion land which they currently use as service roads. I mean, if they can build a huge new hotel complex, I'm sure they can fit a diddy ride in.

In fact, PA has only built rides inside the Park and has not used the terrains around its perimeter. Trust me... if the Park wanted they could build not only one but many huge coasters and there would be enough land to expand and develop the Resort.

BTW, if PA wanted to go for the Hyper or the DM I don't think the height would be a problem. Yes, we know that Dragon Khan is the iconinc coaster and shall always be, BUT they could build the newer coaster in one of the lower sections of the Park (Polynesia comes to my mind) which would mean they could still build at about 150-200 feet without surpassing Khan's maximum height. In addition, a tunnel is always feasible and that would eat another 50 feet or so underground.

I *really* hope PA gets something soon because the gate numbers are not so green this season.

marc said:
People are talking about hypers etc but does the park not suffer with high winds? If that is the case I expect these to be out the question.

You are right on this matter. PA is set on a hill and is very exposed to sea winds (the Resort is sitting next to the Mediterranean sea). Khan, Hurakan Condor and Stampida shut if winds blow at 30 mph.

andrus

Giga Poster
Highest in Europe would indeed be something to aim for. Then PA would have both the fastest and the tallest coster of Europe, every marketing divisions dream!! I guess this could be done both with a mega coaster or a dive machine (although no dm of those measures have been built yet), so those are the most likely types of coasters to me!

An S&S 4D sure would be great to, but I think PA want's a high capacity coaster without a lot of down time, so I guess this model is out of discussion..

Scott88

Hyper Poster
It would be great to see a new coaster at Port Aventura.

I was lucky enough to spend 3 days at PA in October and felt that the park did lack in coasters but it was still a great time at the park and I am hoping to go back this year.

It did not seem as busy as I expected either.

andrus

Giga Poster
I don't think Port Aventura lack in coasters. They do already have 6 of them whereof 3 are big top class coasters, quite impressive collection imo! However I do think the park lacks in flat rides. It's a huge park with only 3 major roller coasters and a drop tower and not much else to do...

But although I think they got one of the better coaster selections of europe I'm of course still very excited for the new coaster. More is always better!! :p (just hope they add some flats too!)

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Lack in coasters was probably the wrong thing to put, but still it would nice to see some new stuff added in the near future.

andrus

Giga Poster
Baco, the last coaster added, was built in 2007 which is quite recent. But I see what you mean. With another top class coaster PA could become the number one amusement park of europe, especially if it'll be setting a new record for the tallest coaster!

But imo they need a couple of thrilling high capacity flat rides too. Partly in order to have something more to do and partly in order to drag som audience away from the huge coaster queues.. I would love to see this happen since I love PA as a park! They have a great atmosphere, the park has a great setting and of course it incorporates my favourite coaster of all time dragon kahn! :p