What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

Lofty

CF Legend
Nemesis Inferno said:
We can wish, but from what I've been told, they are really pushing the interactive boat out on this one...
Yes, but the difference between an Interactive ride & HM + ToT. Lol!

To be honest, I VERY much doubt that Merlin, or ANY company for that matter could rival Disney in terms of an Interactive (through guest perception) Darkride. The only thing that comes close is Spiderman & Transformers, both of which are Universal...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Not saying it's going to rival it, just saying it's going to be similar in style... Particularly the staff's actions and what-not...

I also believe it's Press Day today... So might start getting some details leak through this week...

Robbie

Hyper Poster
But with the fake lifts, waiting rooms, and drop tower isn't this just a sci-fi version of the Dungeons? Makes sense the staff would be in costume, as they are in the Dungeons.

Lofty

CF Legend
Robbie said:
But with the fake lifts, waiting rooms, and drop tower isn't this just a sci-fi version of the Dungeons? Makes sense the staff would be in costume, as they are in the Dungeons.
We've been saying this from the start. It's VERY Extremis/Dungeons. It's as though Merlin got a GREAT deal buying the 4+ towers (4 for the Dungeons and however many are at Alton).

I don't think that because this is "Like" a Dungeons attraction and that's the reason they're adding the costumed Ride Ops, I think it's more of a fact that they want to create a Narrative (heavy) Driven Experience & what better way to do it than to have costumed characters and have a cohesive storyline.

Mark

Strata Poster
^ Indeed. A given the level of theme etc given to Swarm too, I think Merlin are really trying to push the notion of theme and story. Something that Disney ALWAYS do!

scw55

Hyper Poster
It's funny how, camp, Phalanx looks back then. I'm glad that the current uniform is more sensible.
Though it would be funny having ride staff dressed like the Incredibles rejects.

Lofty

CF Legend
Ha.

Yeah, to be honest, it was always gonna be updated, it'd be stupid to aim it at the time that the Comic was presented, solely for the fact that a lot of people wouldn't get the connection between the two.

Ollie

CF Legend
Some pictures posted on Towerstimes.

DSC04171.jpg

DSC04161.jpg

And a couple of pictures of the Ice Age theatre.
DSC04135.jpg

DSC04134.jpg

Have to say they look pretty nice. :)

Gazza

Giga Poster
DSC04161.jpg

421877_10150843812250278_604610277_12451784_2103809634_n.jpg

I can never quite understand what Merlin is thinking when they do these hard industrial themed attractions, but they dress it up with those pleasant little picket fences and timber structures....Why not just continue chain link fences all the way around?

Credit to Beans for the 2nd image.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I suppose you'd have thought they'd continue the theme of rusted bent metal fencing. Then again, maybe the facility was constructed after the Nemesis attack.

Picket fences aren't that strange when among industrial area. I think it's modern 'make it not look so ruined by mankind' look. Least with swarm sections of it is charred. With NST the top of some has been broken and is infested with algae.

Ice Age theatre looks good.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Believe it or not, making fences like that is quite considerable cheaper than Chain-link Fencing. Before anyone starts to try and prove me wrong, I know this for a fact, using it as a building aid in attractions I've worked to construct over the past 5 years.

Mark

Strata Poster
Indeed, I can also chip in on that Lofty. I wanted real chainlink fencing for the dinosaur exhibition at work. Compared to other materials it is absurdly priced and so I had to settle for a fake plastic variety :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Am I the only one who thinks this looks nasty and ****?

It's just a horrid crinkly tin box. Okay, excellent, it's themed as a horrid crinkly tin box, but you know? I'm themed as a fat, miserable old git but it doesn't make me any more pleasant to be around and certainly isn't attracting people to ride me :p

(oh, the Ice Age thing looks good though I suppose)

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Yeah, I thought that. I (stupidly) thought this was going to be underground for some reason? And that the top would be themed like, better? Don't know, it's kind of hideous, especially sat there next to Nemesis.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I kinda agree. Look at the ride's entrance:

DSC04171.jpg

Where's a nice big Nemesis sign when you need one?

Its VERY Merlin.