What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

Mark

Strata Poster
scw55 said:
I found this on the Towertimes forums:
http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/alton-to ... #msg646428

I find it sadly poetic that what has happened to the PR egg is parallel to what happened to Nemesis. Both have been rejected countless times for not being understood.

I'm also offended that the egg was considered too ugly to be exhibited amongst other eggs created by artists. I didn't know London was elitist and prejudiced with that it redeemed 'art'. On the plus side, the controversy behind the egg has created some lovely free PR for the ride. Before I imagine a lot of people wouldn't have noticed/cared. Now they will.

You are not actually believing that locations really have 'rejected' the egg are you??? Personally I don't believe it whatsoever.

This smacks of a PR stunt all over imo and is creating its own 'controvesy' to get the medias attention.

Lofty

CF Legend
Wait?

I thought sc55's post was joking? Surely nobody can believe that the egg was rejected for being ugly and that the article was sincere? I mean, hey, who'd have thought there'd be a photographer & bio-hazard costume wearing people just stumbling about the place at the same time in order to capture the action... ;)

scw55

Hyper Poster
I was being naive and assumed it was Alton Towers making the most of the controversy by pretending to use Bio-hazard suites to remove the egg.

Lets just say I was ready to believe that human beings were that shallow.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
Was just about to post about the 'Egg Hunt' stunt, didn't realise it was old news! :p

This has to be some of the most bloody brilliant marketing I've ever seen! Great stuff! :D

bob_3_

Giga Poster
No red-coats for this ride.

npnjb.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend
So the rumours were true...

Good to see that image though, although, to be fair, I don't ever take notice of Platformers or Ride Ops at all, so it won;t make the blindest bit of difference to me! Ha!

Mark

Strata Poster
^ I am not convinced just yet. This could be the same thing as what was done for Swarm. Get a bunch of 'actors' in with a specific costume. How do we know they are ride attendant staff?

If they are, well then its about blooming time! I totally understand why parks go for the cheaper generic uniform but I really think having ride specific uniforms adds one of the final touches on a theme. Great to see this.

T0M

Hyper Poster
The vague statement on Twitter seems to confirm that these will be the first permanent themed uniforms since Hex in 2000.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Mark said:
^ I am not convinced just yet. This could be the same thing as what was done for Swarm. Get a bunch of 'actors' in with a specific costume. How do we know they are ride attendant staff?

If they are, well then its about blooming time! I totally understand why parks go for the cheaper generic uniform but I really think having ride specific uniforms adds one of the final touches on a theme. Great to see this.
I don't think it's just about cost, but practicality. Staff usually move around attractions, but changing uniform between changes would be impractical. And having ride specific staff would also be impractical. Staff would also need multiple costumes each to organise, clean, etc. And then there's the issue of making it obvious they are staff in the first place, especially somewhere like Alton where the uniforms would all be pretty realistic (in terms of mundane).

Mark

Strata Poster
^Indeed Joey, I am aware of the impracticalities of it all :p I meant cheaper in the sense that the uniforms are indeed cheaper. I should have just said 'why parks go for the uniform option they do' lol.

But considering those impracticalities of it, I wonder how long this 'stand-alone' uniform will last?

As a side note, I barely count Hex has having its own 'themed' uniform, the last time I went it was just a hi-vis jacket over the standard uniform lol.

Either way, this is a step in the right direction and in terms of theming - which is something I am particularly passionate about - its one of those finishing touches that I would love to see throughout the park. Its a shame that it is not a viable option really. Not every park can be lucky enough to have the kind of uniform policy that Disney do :p (For those interested I will post in the 'Things You Didn't Know Topic)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I had NO idea Hex had a themed uniform until today.

So I guess that answers another reason why they aren't a thing at many parks.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
These are definitely happening (and a reasonable expense too)...

How long for remains to be seen, but the staff have had many briefings regarding how to act, speak (with scripts to work off) and the like...

As for the staff, well they still have name badges and will be on Sub Terra all day (like with the other rides in the park), so there's no issue with changing and what-not...

Very Haunted Mansion/Tower of Terror... And if it works, then we could see Merlin moving out on these types of rides...

Mark

Strata Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
Very Haunted Mansion/Tower of Terror... And if it works, then we could see Merlin moving out on these types of rides...

Its not just those attractions. The vast majority of Disney attractions in the U.S parks ALL have their own individual uniforms and if its not ride specific it is certainly area specific.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I meant more the staff actions rather than the more typical "stand around and make people sit down" thing...

More interactive and stuff... Actual scripts, being pushed to fit into the ride's background and stuff... It sounds brilliant tbh as long as they keep it up...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
We can wish, but from what I've been told, they are really pushing the interactive boat out on this one...

Seems that Wardley was also involved in some degree... And apparently it looks pretty good on the inside...

Actually excited by this...