What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
The track is definitely meant to be part of the biological bit of the creature itself, because it's legs are themed to look the same.

scw55

Hyper Poster
The tentacles in the promotional images are a crimson blood red colour.
The track layout is a rusted steel colour. The legs are boney.
50nemesis04.jpg

The transition between leg and pseudo track isn't exactly subtle. Either it was creative/time limitation or the track is the steel that is used to pin down the creature. The problem is there is not real evidence to suggest one thing or another. It's all open to interpretation.

OT of Sub-Terra. Makes sense that the theme of the ride is a nest because how could they have a satisfying Nemesis themed sister ride that feature Nemesisness whilst the BIG Nemesis is currently being pinned down. It would be 'disappointing' if in Sub Terra all you got was a history lesson and the ride elements were 'random chance encounters' which no Nemesis intervention. Baby Nemesis' however could be thrilling.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Well to me, the "250 tonnes of steel" used to pin down the creature are undoubtedly referring to the track itself. The twisting etc is sipposed to be caused from its struggles. The trains are supposed to be some sort of projection of the creature itself (biological) - that's my interpretation anyway.

I suspect the new ride will be the disturbance of its nest/lair/offspring, which is due to hatch, does so during the ride, or is protected by its parent.

Mark

Strata Poster
Hmmm. It certainly is open to interpretation as scw55 said. I have always interpreted it as the track and trains being part of the Nemesis monster and the supports being the bits that pin it down.

In terms of this new story, and how the it relates to the backstory, with particular note to the tentacles... If you watch the video I posted it shows a sequence when the 'pilgrims' have come to worship and the Nemesis starts breaking through. It could be interpreted as tentacles smashing through the rock perhaps? - this ties into the whole thing about it thrashing around and smashing through the earth etc. Of course, because I already have the back story in my head and how I interpretate it, it is difficult to look at other source material without looking at it and furthering my own interpretation, if that makes sense.

I seem to remember the original artwork that went out for Nemesis also featured tentacles etc. I really wish I had kept all the promotional stuff I had from back them. Kelloggs Ceral box 'toys' et al.

Hopefully, with this new attraction it will actually clear up some of the backstory questions for us?

scw55

Hyper Poster
I got the impression that in the Original promo video it was the creature's legs. The illusion of 'track-like-thing' coming from a hole I assumed as retractable claws, like a cat, but alien.

I wonder what would be more horrific and terrifying. What Alton Towers has planned for Sub-Terra to be,or Sub-Terra ends up to be what the drunk dude in the last 4 mins of the video talks about. Would certainly fit the Kiddy-Wink Nemesis theme well.

I was impressed with the scale model of the ride. It's a shame they can't make the real model glisten. It looks like after all these years that the flesh of Nemesis has dried out. Poor thing.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Makes sense I suppose. I had always thought that the layout of the 'steel holding down Nemesis' was in a very retarded and inefficient shape. Sure it 'was twisted and consorted' but I doubt to the extent that it conveniently makes a lift hill and drop and a neat vertical loop and projects in and out of Nemesis.
The track being tentacles makes more sense with the supports 'pinning it down'.
Very considerate that Nemesis decided to make its tentacles have a lift hill and vertical loop however.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Same could be said about the Swarm having the decency to 'fly slowly upwards at a not steep angle'. If that did occur I doubt they'd have the momentum to stay airborne at that consistent speed.

I guess now Nemesis' tentacles have been ret-conned to be pink.

I'm very eager to watch the TV promo material.

T0M

Hyper Poster
"Nemesis Sub-Terra is the ultimate theme park thrill ride - every ride you've ever dreamed of in one. Never has so much theme park technology been combined in one fantastically thrilling ride.

Nemesis Sub-Terra is located in a network of unexplored underground caverns in Forbidden Valley, and is guaranteed to exploit your vulnerabilities and play with your mind."

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Tom G said:
"Nemesis Sub-Terra is the ultimate theme park thrill ride - every ride you've ever dreamed of in one. Never has so much theme park technology been combined in one fantastically thrilling ride.
Where have I herd that one before?
Oh yes I almost forgot Thi3teen. :roll:

scw55

Hyper Poster
I found this on the Towertimes forums:
http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/alton-to ... #msg646428

I find it sadly poetic that what has happened to the PR egg is parallel to what happened to Nemesis. Both have been rejected countless times for not being understood.

I'm also offended that the egg was considered too ugly to be exhibited amongst other eggs created by artists. I didn't know London was elitist and prejudiced with that it redeemed 'art'. On the plus side, the controversy behind the egg has created some lovely free PR for the ride. Before I imagine a lot of people wouldn't have noticed/cared. Now they will.

Lofty

CF Legend
I've heard a rumour from somebody who is being trained at the park ready to start the season as a ride operator/platformer (I don't know which). The story is that all ride staff of Terra (Terry as it's been named by park staff) will be wearing a sort of "SAS/SWAT" uniform to fit with the theme.

If this comes true or not, that's a different scenario, but this has come from someone who is being trained for this ride and the FV area.