What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

Gazza

Giga Poster
^ Believe it or not, making fences like that is quite considerable cheaper than Chain-link Fencing. Before anyone starts to try and prove me wrong, I know this for a fact, using it as a building aid in attractions I've worked to construct over the past 5 years.
I figured as much...You can tell by how the timber is cut, and it's prevalence in the UK and throughout the park that it is cost effective.

But surely in a theme park its not gonna break the ride budget to use chainlink everywhere....They did it on Saw!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Here comes the publicity drive!

The Sun said:
FILM chiefs have rated a theme park attraction too scary for under 12s

The British Board of Film Classification moved after examining the Nemesis Sub-Terra at Alton Towers.

Until now the BBFC has only dealt with films or games, but were called in by the park before the ride went live.

Bosses at Alton Towers decided to take advice after seeing testing panel results before the opening on March 24.

Now the film board has slapped it with a 12A certificate, meaning under 12s need an adult with them to go on it.

Murray Perkins, Senior Examiner at the BBFC said: "We are seeing a real blur of the old boundaries of visual content and physical experience in both 3D and 4D cinema, and at theme parks.

"After experiencing the attraction first-hand, based on 100 years of experience and line with British public opinion, we would recommend that Alton Towers Resort classify the new Nemesis Sub-Terra a 12A.

"It contains some intense moments, in some respects comparable with scary scenes which may be experienced in horror or science fiction films."

Secrecy surrounds the new attraction, but it is set underground in a system of caves.

It is based on the back story of the original Nemesis ride, which opened in 1994.

Spokesperson Katherine Duckworth said: "The classification is important for the resort to ensure the wellbeing of our guests.

"We are aware the enforcements that will now be implemented will mean that many of our younger visitors are unable to experience Nemesis Sub-Terra, which we are obviously concerned about.

"However, the Alton Towers Resort prides itself on offering a variety of rides for all ages and we hope that those under the age of 12 will continue to enjoy our other attractions."

Not a bad one actually. They're obviously going for the same kind of publicity as they did for Th13teen, but have actually got the BBFC to back them up.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4202985/Ride-too-scary-for-under-12s.html

Ethan

Strata Poster
Interesting. I read the whole thing, so I guess that is one indicator that it isn't that bad of a publicity stunt!

Martyn B

CF Legend
I find these things aren't so bad, so long as they're not annoying, like all the crap Thorpe kept coming up with (arm pits and bad breath).

I actually really liked the Thirteen marketing campaign, but it and the ride just didn't match up one bit. And tbh, the theme still doesn't either, but thats for another thread.

I just hope there is some element of truth in all this, and it turns out to actually be quite scary!

costar

Mega Poster
As long as the press keep going for it, Merlin will keep pulling these stunts. It's not really about whether you "find it annoying" or not, it's whether the public at large find it interesting and the Sun editors are some of the best in the world at knowing what the public wants to read.

gavin, I don't know whether you want to edit your post or not with a *Spoiler* warning, but that second picture in the Sun article is a frighteningly accurate representation of what is in the ride chamber...

scw55

Hyper Poster
Think the red marble is symbolic?
The thingy in the middle looks like a pubil and red implies blood/nemesis.

Ben

CF Legend
I love the first 15 seconds, sort of channeling It, and then the underground part kicks in and... No. What is it? Screamy scary elevator? Ohhhh, I'm shaking in my stylish yet affordable boots.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I still dont really understand what the main part of the ride is. The whole 'underground' and elevator thing is being marketed heavily, yet the actual towers aren't even looking like they're supposed to be in an elevator (see the picture of Gavin's link).

Oh, and a quick question, is Extremis a proper freefall drop? I'm hoping this is going to be more than that...

kimahri

CF Legend
Can I call this being Close Encounter or what ever it was called that used to be at Disney (?) but with some sort of drop event as an extra or has someone already took that?

Lofty

CF Legend
Martyn B said:
I still dont really understand what the main part of the ride is. The whole 'underground' and elevator thing is being marketed heavily, yet the actual towers aren't even looking like they're supposed to be in an elevator (see the picture of Gavin's link).

Oh, and a quick question, is Extremis a proper freefall drop? I'm hoping this is going to be more than that...
I think it's clever, they're not overly promoting the "Drop" element, it's clever to do this, it WILL catch people off guard.

No, the Extremis towers are like Det's, they're a forced drop, they're thrown down rather than just left to drop, they are a "Freefall" as in not controlled on the way down, but as said, are forced down, hence why they're so forceful.

costar

Mega Poster
Extremis is not forced down. I know a lot of enthusiasts will tell you that it is, but sorry, that's a myth.

Lofty

CF Legend
I thought it was? Not the fact that I'm an "Enthusiast and like to tell people **** stories". But;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tNBhoI6FjE[/youtube]

It's one of the most forceful drop towers I've ever been on, apart from Det. Surely it's a forced drop?

How do you know it's not for certain? Not trying to start an argument, it's a genuine question. If you've operated one, work for ABC or built one as a construction worker, I'll believe you...