What's new

English Football 2009/2010 Season

Pattersons goal was stunning, they said it was on The Quay, plus I loved all the countdown jokes today from all radio/tv stations about Carlisle XD

Seen the pictures of it this morning, not a pretty sight.

From all I've heard, there was no malice in the challenge, it's one of those unfortunate incidents that do crop up from time to time. But it was a very poor tackle, and despite what Neal would have you believe, Shawcross simply had to go. In this day and age, The referee could not have made any other decision.

We've reached a point where if the referee didn't take action, the damage to the integrity of the FA, and the potential legal ramifications are more serious than many people could imagine. 15 years ago when Dave Busst suffered a compound fracture which ended his career prematurely, no-one was sent off despite that tackle being one of the worst in the modern game. But since that incident, medical care has improved beyond all imagination and the duty of the FA and the referees association to protect the players has become more prominent than ever.

If Walton didn't dismiss Shawcross, not only would the press coverage would severely damage the reputation of the governing body which already receives considerable and often justified grief (if you've ever studied the British Press in depth, you should know what an unscrupulous business it can be) and the lawyers would also be all over them like a cheap suit.

Lain said:
Brookes said:
I don't think it was a malicious challenge and didn't deserve a red card.

Ridiculous!

He literally snapped Ramsey's leg in two. Intentional or not, it was a reckless tackle, and that's got to be a red, and a many match ban.

Edit: I noticed your location after I posted. :roll:

Thing is though, if you look carefully, Ramsey had already 'twisted' his ankle before Shawcross tackled him, so even if he wasn't tackled, he would have still gone down.

Its horrible but not as bad as Eduardo's! (Its is the same injury I no, but Ed's skin broke and you could bones an all. YUK)

City won againg, woop woop, 5 points clear!

^I agree on Match of the Day it showed before Shawcross tackled him his foot was twisted in the ground so he had already done something then.

Smithy said:
Also, Stoke fans are scum. Fair play, the majority cheered him off, but an awful lot of them were singing abuse to Ramsey whilst he was being stretchered off.

You do realise you've just cancelled out you're own point. You generalise all Stoke fans as being scum, and then you say the majority cheered him off. Where I sit there are a lot of people who sing bad chants, but I couldn't hear anything of abuse to Ramsey, if anything it was worse from the Arsenal fans jumping out of the stand to try and get Shawcross. From what I could see, all the Stoke's fans were clapping when Ramsey was being stretchered off and there was no abuse to him at all. Being a Stoke fan, I don't accept your argument at all.

And I still don't believe he should have been sent off, but I agree about the media and how he wouldn't have been able to play on, but a decision to send somebody off shouldn't be decided by whether the FA will have a bad reputation.

Neal said:
Smithy, did it not occur to you to pay attention to the argument and how civilised and high brow it was before deciding to use the "Stoke are scum" argument as a basis for your post? ;)

Neal, did it not occur to you that by rushing to have a pop at me after every single post I make is just making you look like an enormous twat. If I was a child and took the things some mong on the internet said seriously, I'd be crying bully right now, but instead I just find it hilarious that you seem to hold a sort of vendetta against everything I say, purely because it's said by me.

And if it's so 'high brow', why did you completely ignore everything I'd said prior to the last comment. Oh I see, it was completely valid and therefore you had to ignore it to have your latest dig at me. Good one, bully.

Explain to me how that is the basis of my post? Logically, since I'm an Arsenal fan, the basis for my post will be commenting on the loss of our greatest young prospect? But no, acknowledging this would require using your common sense, which you ignored in favour of having (yet another) pop at me. And yet I'm viewed as the argumentative trouble maker? Pathetic.

Brookes said:
^I agree on Match of the Day it showed before Shawcross tackled him his foot was twisted in the ground so he had already done something then.

Smithy said:
Also, Stoke fans are scum. Fair play, the majority cheered him off, but an awful lot of them were singing abuse to Ramsey whilst he was being stretchered off.

You do realise you've just cancelled out you're own point. You generalise all Stoke fans as being scum, and then you say the majority cheered him off. Where I sit there are a lot of people who sing bad chants, but I couldn't hear anything of abuse to Ramsey, if anything it was worse from the Arsenal fans jumping out of the stand to try and get Shawcross. From what I could see, all the Stoke's fans were clapping when Ramsey was being stretchered off and there was no abuse to him at all. Being a Stoke fan, I don't accept your argument at all.

And I still don't believe he should have been sent off, but I agree about the media and how he wouldn't have been able to play on, but a decision to send somebody off shouldn't be decided by whether the FA will have a bad reputation.

It's clear to see who I was referring to. Because I left one word out, it's instantly a generalisation. If I had simply said STOKE FANS ARE SCUM and then nothing else, fair play, that's a generalisation. But I explained why I thought the minority of fans who did what they did were scum.

And there were countless fans clapping Ramsey as most of them are human, but there was enough to hear them chanting abuse at Ramsey over the sombre applause. This was confirmed to me by two lads off the Arsenal forum who were at the game.

If the leg wasn't broken, he still could have been sent off, although I'm not saying it's fair. It's the sort of 50/50 challenge where sometimes players get injured badly (Ramsey), sometimes it shows great commitment, sometimes players get red cards, sometimes the ref ignores it. It's one of those that you really can't say either or, as so many referees will judge it differently. I said at the time and I say it now though. It was a 50/50, Shawcross DID NOT set out to injure Ramsey, and I feel for the lad who will now have this hanging over him.

^I'm sorry but to me starting your sentence with "Stoke fans are scum" is talking about all Stoke fans to me. I know you said after that the majority of them clapped which is why I don't see the need to say Stoke fans are scum.

I agree with everything you said in the last paragraph though, you've got that part right.

Just out of curiosity were you at the game because your posts don't make it clear if you were or not?

Brookes said:
^I'm sorry but to me starting your sentence with "Stoke fans are scum" is talking about all Stoke fans to me. I know you said after that the majority of them clapped which is why I don't see the need to say Stoke fans are scum.

I agree with everything you said in the last paragraph though, you've got that part right.

Just out of curiosity were you at the game because your posts don't make it clear if you were or not?

But I then made sure I went on to credit the majority of fans who were gracious enough as fans of football to applaud him. I know where you're coming from, just try and see that I'm obviously pissed off that some of your fans felt the need to chant abuse at him, however a small amount that may be.

And nah, not been able to get to games this year. Hopefully next year I'll build up enough credits for away games.

^So did you hear the fans from the TV, or is that what you have been told? I do believe that some Stoke fans would do that though, unfortunately there are some people like that, at every club I would imagine.

Both. Heard it when he was being stretchered off, and then what I thought I'd heard was then posted on the Arsenal forum by two different members who attended the game.

And yeah every club has them, there were Villa fans at the Emirates who nearly got bludgeoned for singing about Eduardo after it happened.

A nice 2-1 victory over an impress Everton of recent weeks. Spurs were fantastic in the first half and deserved the 2-0 lead. Everton put up a decent fight in the second half but it wasn't quite good enough and didn't take their best chance.

3 more points for Spurs :)

Good.

Pompey have been ordered back to the courts tomorrow by HMRC.

It's only fair that they stump up the £12.5m to the country first.

As a taxpayer, I want that money in the coffers so Gordon Brown can waste it on the public sector and handouts.

Any other company would have been thrown to the lions.

Double Post...

So Palace get ex-Pompey man Paul Hart to replace Colin... With two ex players as assistant and coach...

The important thing here, is the return of a Palace legend... Dougie Freedman ftw <3

Also Dave, what are your views on Paul Hart as a manager? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I think Paul Hart did his job well at Portsmouth, its just unfortunate his job was to reduce the wage bill dramatically, and replace the players sold with players on lower wages.

As a manager to take a club forward its hard to say really, but he was given a task at Portsmouth and did it pretty well in my opinion.

He's alright, quite boring to listen to. Sometimes chooses the wrong line up. I mean he kept putting on Moekena and Mullins on the same pitch!

Putting Mullins on any pitch is a bad decision ;)

Seeing two defensive midfielders won't be too much of a shock either considering our squad...

And he can't be more boring than Warnock complaining about the officials week in week out :lol:

Lewis said:
Southampton 5 -0 Huddersfield.

Hope you enjoyed your trip down south ;)

I've been lurking this topic waiting for that ;)
Looks like I made a good decision to get a refund on my original match ticket!

In other news, RIP Keith Alexander.

RIP Keith Alexander.

Who do you think will win the Premier League?

I am hoping we can make it 4 years in a row, but its going to be very close.