What's new

English Football 2009/2010 Season

Nemesis Inferno said:
I watched a clip on the BBC interviewing that John Westwood fella, and even though he looks like a twat, he speaks with a love of the club and the core part of football...

Everyone wishes they had a Westwood ;)
People have only ever seen him in his supporters guise, when his daytime job is a bookshop owner in Petersfield.

I saw Westwood out on the piss in Petersfield one night a few years ago. He looked like a smug twat. On the BBC website today, he just looked like a twat.

He also, allegedly, pissed on the seats in the best football stadium in Hampshire.

What a brilliant fan! The greatest of the "greatest fans in the world!"

Bad result for Stoke but that injury to Ramsey was horrible, I was there and his leg was bent round at the bottom. Shame for Shawcross because he didn't mean to do that, and I don't think it was a malicious challenge and didn't deserve a red card.

Brookes said:
I don't think it was a malicious challenge and didn't deserve a red card.

Ridiculous!

He literally snapped Ramsey's leg in two. Intentional or not, it was a reckless tackle, and that's got to be a red, and a many match ban.

Edit: I noticed your location after I posted. :roll:

SSN annoyed by mentioning it numerous times but not showing it... On the other hand, we got to see Wayne Bridge ignore John Terry LOTS of times :roll:

So yeah, can't comment on this until MOTD show it...

What I find amusing, is that Shawcross has been called up to the England squad for the Egypt friendly... Interesting day he's had...

Lain said:
Brookes said:
I don't think it was a malicious challenge and didn't deserve a red card.

Ridiculous!

He literally snapped Ramsey's leg in two. Intentional or not, it was a reckless tackle, and that's got to be a red, and a many match ban.

Edit: I noticed your location after I posted. :roll:

If you watch it (I'm assuming from your reaction Lain that you haven't - because you're not stupid), then you will see that it's just a coming together which ended in horrific results for Ramsey.

Also worth noting, it's clear the referee was just giving a free kick until he saw the injury. Then he sent him off - I HATE it when they do that, it's pathetic. Nowhere in the rules does it say "send them off if they hospitalise an opponent" - ****ing pathetic.

Watched Ramseys injury live, wasn't paying attension and thought "how bad could it have really been for there not to be a single reply?"

Youtubed it half hour later. Could only watch it once in slow-mo, made me feel pretty sick. :?

Just quickly popped onto Youtube for it...

Very dodgy coming together, according to some reporters Ramsey attempted to pull out the challenge which as a result made him come out worse...

Thing is Neal, if the ref didn't send him off, imagine the media backlash that would occur... Led by the honourable Mr. Wenger of course...

^I would be inclined to agree with the above. It was unfortunate for Shawcross, but I don't think the ref had choice, really.

^^^^^Thank you Neal that is exactly what I meant. It wasn't a reckless tackel over the top of the ball or whatever, it was a 50 50 which ended in a horrific injury. The ref only sent him off because of the injury which is just stupid.

And Lain why do you assume that why I come from Stoke I would be a "stereotypical Stoke fan", I wasn't defending Shawcross as there was no need, it wasn't a bad tackle.

EDIT: Just seen the other posts. I agree with you Nemesis Inferno, he only sent him off to be safe that he wouldn't be in trouble because of Ramsey's injury. But from a Stoke fan's point of view it's ridiculous to send him off for a challenge that definitely isn't worth a red.

It annoys me how the media will blame Shawcross when he was just trying to win the ball and didn't mean to cause such an injury and he will feel terrible.

Nemesis Inferno said:
Thing is Neal, if the ref didn't send him off, imagine the media backlash that would occur... Led by the honourable Mr. Wenger of course...

Lain said:
I would be inclined to agree with the above. It was unfortunate for Shawcross, but I don't think the ref had choice, really.

Both a load of bollocks to tell the truth. Sorry guys, I like the both of you, but that's pure and simple bollocks. ;)

There are 7 ways by which a player can be sent off. It is clear we have all established that it was not a sending off deserving challenge. It's also clear the referee himself was going to do no more than give Arsenal a free kick. Yet he sees the injury and sends him off.

Who gives a **** about a media backlash Benin? It's a game, there are laws in place. It's an unfortunate situation, but the fact of the matter is he didn't do anything to deserve a red card.

If the referee felt some sort of need above the call of duty and the 'Laws of Association Football' - then he should have just had him forcibly subbed off the pitch.

Instead, he has punished Stoke for a crime they didn't commit by reducing them to 10 men.

Pathetic! :(

Shawcross couldn't have played on anyway, sending him off was the kindest thing to do. His mum drove him home in tears ffs.

Whilst I don't think that was intentional, he did go in with the intention of going in hard, but fairly. He's that type of player. He never meant to hurt Ramsey the way he did, but he did mean to go in hard.

Also, Stoke fans are scum. Fair play, the majority cheered him off, but an awful lot of them were singing abuse to Ramsey whilst he was being stretchered off.

Dosen't matter if it was malicious or not, it was a mis-judged tackle and deserved a yellow at least, a red was a spur of the moment decision, based on the player and the reactions of the opposing team.

Smithy, did it not occur to you to pay attention to the argument and how civilised and high brow it was before deciding to use the "Stoke are scum" argument as a basis for your post? ;)

Right, basically it was a dodgy tackle...

Complete and utter accident it ended up that way... The slow-mo replays though show the way Ramsey's leg actually goes and it's really, really awful...

Hopefully he can make a full recovery from it cos he is a decent player...