What's new

Dollywood | Lightning Rod | Launched RMC

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Jerry was able to attend the Media Day on Thursday, which included a performance from Dolly Parton and interview with Dollywood's PR Director, Pete Owens.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4BF8SOmL3s[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN_ndTXKNlo[/youtube]

Also worth throwing this video back up that was released two weeks back by Dollywood, discussing the LSM launch.

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/158391903[/vimeo]

As to questions on what company is being used to source the magnetic launch, Velocity Magnetics Inc. in New Castle, PA provides the braking system, and Ondry Engineering the control systems. Velocity has experience with amusement park magnetic brakes in the past (digging through news articles, they supplied new braking system for Starliner and Phantom's Revenge retrofit - wouldn't be surprised if they are simply a go-to sourcer for braking components), and has since moved into the magnetic launch game: http://velocitymagnetics.com

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Thanks. I've been a bit busy traveling and working so I haven't had much time to post.
Here's some photos I took during and after the event. I also got an private tour of the queue line and station, but have to wait until the park gives me permission to post those photos. Hopefully you all won't have to wait too long to see them.

lrhill.jpg

lrstage.jpg

lrsingers.jpg

lrdollyentrance.jpg

lrdollywide.jpg

lrdolly.jpg

lrdollywide.jpg

lrdollycloseup.jpg

lrstationpanorama.jpg

lrstationlifthill.jpg

lrstationturnaround.jpg

lrsign.jpg

lrhotrodsign.jpg

lrturnaround.jpg

lrlifthill.jpg

lrlifthillreturn.jpg

lrlifthillreturn2.jpg

lrpanorama.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend
Looks great - but I'm truly struggling to understand why you'd bother to have a press day when the subject of promotion isn't even ready?!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I really love the Ace brick building. I think its the scale and angle in which it sits (in comparison to the gas station which provides an really good mid-ground. I don't know how to properly explain it but I love it.
The transition into the dive before the brakes looks odd. But I think that's just the angle.

WindyCityTy

Roller Poster
Hello! New CF member here.

I'm looking forward to (hopefully) being able to ride Lightning Rod this year. I don't travel much anymore but I booked a trip for late May to be able to experience Dollywood for the first time. My main reason for choosing to go to Dollywood over other parks this year was to ride Lightning Rod but as with most new coasters, problems will come up.

Unfortunately I'm well passed my deadline for canceling or moving cabin reservations to a later date but I'm still hoping the ride will be ready in time for May 24th-25th. It sounds like Dollywood and RMC are good folk and I wish them well as they overcome any issues they are having. The Fred Grubb statement made me concerned as it sounded as if the entire launch system needed to be replaced (which is probably just me overreacting) but that video interview with Pete Owens sounded optimistic. Hopefully only smaller tweaks are needed and they can get this thing going at 100% in a few weeks.

Whether the ride will be ready to open in late May or not, I plan on enjoying my first trip to Tennessee!

Ben

CF Legend
Hi, welcome!

We honestly have no clue when it'll be done by, the park or RMC haven't really said how bad the issue really is.

I would say end of May will be fine, but you can't be 100% sure. The park and RMC will be just as frustrated as you if this isn't open by then!

I presume they had the event then simply so Dolly could be there - her schedule will be busy so it's probably not as easy to just be like 'Oh come back next week' so they did the event with a closed cred.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Don't worry WindyCityTy, I'm with you.

Yes, I have a trip booked to Pigeon Forge for the April 9-10 weekend as my bachelor party. The plan is lots of moonshine, lots of National Park hiking, and lots of roller coasters. Even if we miss the mark of Lightning Rod (two weeks out, I am certainly not holding my breath), at least we will be in good company still able to have a good time of it. :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Dollywood will not be opening Lightning Rod in the next two weeks. Thrills in the Hills, slotted for the weekend of April 8-9, has been officially postponed: http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Fest ... intheHills

"Thrills in the Hills has been postponed for a date later in the operating season. Details of the new date will be announced at a later time. If you do not wish to attend the rescheduled Thrills in the Hills, please contact us to arrange a refund."

jay37415

Mega Poster
Hyde said:
Don't worry WindyCityTy, I'm with you.

Yes, I have a trip booked to Pigeon Forge for the April 9-10 weekend as my bachelor party. The plan is lots of moonshine, lots of National Park hiking, and lots of roller coasters. Even if we miss the mark of Lightning Rod (two weeks out, I am certainly not holding my breath), at least we will be in good company still able to have a good time of it. :)

Although not topic related, there are two good quality mountain coasters in the Pigeon Forge area and one in Gatlinburg. Skip the one at Ober Gatlinburg. If you're a cred whore, there's a few kiddie coasters floating around the strip.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
jay37415 said:
Although not topic related, there are two good quality mountain coasters in the Pigeon Forge area and one in Gatlinburg. Skip the one at Ober Gatlinburg. If you're a cred whore, there's a few kiddie coasters floating around the strip.
The one in Ober Gatlinburg has been down for some time now and it doesn't look to be opening anytime soon as there is damage to the track and parts are back-ordered. This one has been a nightmare for the owners, who are allegedly suing Wiegand.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Interesting sign Dollywood has posted as official update for park guests. I applaud the park for recognizing the problem and providing their plan of action for keeps guests informed.

image_13971.jpg

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Dollywood has announced that the launch system was seriously flawed, and must be completely replaced. This might also mean a redesigned train. Here's a video press release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y82jDHRrswc

Can't get the YT tag to work for some reason. At least I'll be able to ride it in a few years after the problems are sorted.

jay37415

Mega Poster
Visited the park today. I tried picking a Ride Op's brain about the status. He sounded like he was saying what the park told him to.. 'well Dollywood posted on their web page.... the official statement from the manufacturer is...."

But the one souvenir shop person was a bit overzealous with their info. Not sure if they were speculating or not. But the story I got was that the launch system was dialed up too much and the coaster was hitting a top speed of 82 which is too high for the design. The subcontractor could not dial it in to where it needed to be. This could explain why the one video DW released showed the train hauling through the layout, cause it was. some pictures posted earlier showed fins at the top of the lift after the launch. I did notice today, and tried to get a picture of it, a set of pneumatic trim brakes toward the top of the launch hill.

She gave me a tenative opening date, but I dont rumors to fly if its wrong.. PM me if you want.

Boris1981

Roller Poster
Any updates on Lightning Rod? Any workers sighted in the
last couple of days to fix the launch?
Got the official answer when emailing to Dollywood ("...The ride
manufacturer asked for additional time to commission the ride..."), would
have liked to receive an estimated opening time frame like "late
summer/August" :cry:
We might be in the area during July, 6th until 10th, only visiting if the
coaster will be open then.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
No news yet - I will be at the park this weekend and bring back whatever update I can. :)

WindyCityTy

Roller Poster
I've been looking at the nearby mountain coasters. I want to try at least one of them if I'm able to. I'm also looking for some good local eats since I don't like eating at chain restaurants that I also have back home.

As for Lightning Rod, I've heard that it's been pretty dead around the construction site the last few weeks. Little activity going on. I wonder if they are waiting for parts to arrive before beginning work again on the lift or maybe they're working when the park isn't open.

jay37415

Mega Poster
There has been work going on at the coaster. I would assume mostly at night or on the off days. There is a video posted on Instagram of RMC crews working on it.

as to the opening, a USA Today article said they are hoping for late April. Which is consistent with what the souvenir shop lady told me. 4.23

WindyCityTy

Roller Poster
I really hope that new USA Today article is correct. I'm assuming they just wouldn't throw that into the article just because but rather someone from the park/marketing team informed them that they are aiming for the end of April.

Hutch

Strata Poster
This isn't a brand new pic (somewhat recent) but I think it's a pretty good shot from a different angle. Thought it was worth showing off and it might tide you over until it actually opens. :p Courtesy of RMC's Facebook.

12440420_992660854104368_75517592607398297_o.jpg

Going to be one hell of a drop and a pretty good head chopper on the way down.