What's new

Dollywood | Lightning Rod | Launched RMC

WindyCityTy

Roller Poster
According to Screamscape, Lance reached out to Pete Owens of Dollywood and Pete said that Lightning Rod will resume testing this week and will open in a couple weeks. Hopefully by "couple weeks", that really does mean 2-3 weeks. I also hope that whatever tweaks they made to launch, this next series of testing goes smoothly and there's no further delays. Having the ride open for when Dolly comes back to the park on May 6th would be nice.

jay37415

Mega Poster
The big "IF" on the two the three weeks will depend on the reworked launch system and how much dialing in it will need during commissioning. Videos have been posted of the trains running the course at full speed early march so we know that part is fine.

Dollywood now needs to be prepared to handle eight thousand people hiding in the woods trying to get some sort of video of it testing.

TY- Im a season pass holder so if you want to try and meet up when you go, shoot me a PM.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
1293941835283471433.gif

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Another video of testing through the final turn. Certainly looks faster than the CGI renderings.

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/acesoutheast/videos/10154120357194648/[/facebookpost]

jay37415

Mega Poster
This one shows more of the speed at which it goes down the quad drop..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLqmwHPxaKA[/youtube]

Hutch

Strata Poster
Oh hell yes! Didn't realize there was an extra bunny hop before the turnaround (which is quite large now that I see it).

jay37415

Mega Poster
Sanchezmran said:
Oh hell yes! Didn't realize there was an extra bunny hop before the turnaround (which is quite large now that I see it).

They call it a "quad Down" but if you count the bunny hop its actually five. Guess "Penta Down" doesn't have the same flare.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
*Quintuple Down. I'm almost gonna drop Quad and just start saying Quin, because that 5th hill should probably count

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Anyone have any idea on a timeframe as to when we can expect a media day and opening? Because they're obviously getting close to finishing it looks like.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
Media Day was about 4 weeks ago, and this should open within the next 2 weeks.
A Media Day in which the coaster was closed lol. Excited to see what a back row POV on this thing will look like, since I won't be riding this anytime soon

jay37415

Mega Poster
May 6th is the Dolly Homecoming parade and other festivities weekend. If I were a betting man....Id say that's what they are shooting for. But I hear Pigeon Forge is a madhouse that weekend.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
"Next couple of weeks" is official word on Lightning Rod opening. I would actually imagine Dollywood wanting to avoid May 6th/next weekend, as Valravn will be eating up a lot of attention with its opening at Cedar Point. http://www.local8now.com/content/news/D ... 53801.html

Pete Owens with Dollywood says Lightning Rod should open in the next couple of weeks.

He said crews resumed commissioning and testing Friday. He said the roller coaster should open in the next couple weeks.

The roller coaster features new technology never used on a wooden coaster. It is going to be the world's first launching coaster and the world's fastest wooden coaster.

The coaster's highest hill rises to 20 stories, and the first drop is 165 feet and reaches speeds of 73 miles an hour.

WindyCityTy

Roller Poster
Glad to hear it's opening sometime in May. I just really hope it's open by May 24th and not the last few days of the month. It might take me a while to get over missing the ride by a matter of days, especially since Dollywood is a 24+ hour round-trip for me and I probably won't be back anytime soon.

Ben

CF Legend
What would Valravn have to do with it?

You know no-one at Dollywood is going to care that Cedar Point are opening something that weekend?

Not everyone is as obsessed with CP as you Hyde xD