What's new

Dollywood | Lightning Rod | Launched RMC

Ben said:
What would Valravn have to do with it?

You know no-one at Dollywood is going to care that Cedar Point are opening something that weekend?

Not everyone is as obsessed with CP as you Hyde xD
If Dollywood would want a national spotlight on the roller coaster, it would be good to avoid Cedar Point's opening of Valravn, which will also be receiving national attention.

Hyde said:
Ben said:
What would Valravn have to do with it?

You know no-one at Dollywood is going to care that Cedar Point are opening something that weekend?

Not everyone is as obsessed with CP as you Hyde xD
If Dollywood would want a national spotlight on the roller coaster, it would be good to avoid Cedar Point's opening of Valravn, which will also be receiving national attention.
This. Cedar Point might be the most well known park for coasters in the world! All the media attention would be directed at Valraven, and Dollywood would get the back seat! A coaster like this deserves all the media attention it can get, so by opening it a different day to Valraven it will get all the attention it deserves.

You guys in England had loads of stories of generic coaster maintenance/minor errors, so this is nothing.

I'm not too sure on National press however, but the closest major city(ies) will 100% have a story on it. Even here in Northern Illinois, we've had 3 or 4 news stories on JLBFM. But considering that both Valravn and LR will be record breakers, I'm sure a few news outlets will cover them.

In LA we have news reporters doing live reports from several parks across country. SFOT had national outlets there, as well as regional. My in laws saw it for that one and they don't live close.

So yes, for large coasters it does get national attention.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Literally, Dollywood will not delay this further if their planned date clashes with Valravn.

Like, no.

^ And what I am saying is if they were to open, they would be competing with Cedar Point for national media attention.

Ben said:
Do you all really think the National Presses stop for a Roller Coaster?

Really queens?
Did I ever say that? No.

Larger amusement park roller coasters however are often picked up for shorter segments, especially national/regional morning talk shows and evening news. This was in part why Gatekeeper's Media Day back in 2013 began at 4 AM, so that morning talk shows on the east coast could capture all of their b-roll for broadcast.

It isn't like CF has never encountered such stories:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Boi7GOJqg[/youtube]

I confirmed with Dollywood that they are not planning on any press coverage for the opening of Lightning Rod. When it's ready they are going to open it. Simple as...
Can we move on. Thanks.

^ Ah, thanks for clarifying Jerry. Guess that solves that.

Here's to a hopeful opening this month then!

With Dollywood giving a tour of the station to enthusiasts, I guess it's ok for me to post these now. They are from when I was there for the media day and was given a private tour.

The first floor rear queueline (they were still working on the first floor interior queue section, so I couldn't take photos of that area due to the mess from the work being done):
lrweldingshop.jpg

lrworkboard.jpg

lrweldingstorage.jpg

lrweldingstoragecloseup.jpg

Second floor:
lr2ndfloorqueue.jpg

lrchalkboard.jpg

lrenginehoist.jpg

lrstationtrain.jpg

lrtrainstation.jpg

lrstationtrainside.jpg

lrtrainrear.jpg

Sounds like testing is still going smoothly but as my trip draws near (20 days), I'm not getting my hopes up that it'll be ready. With that said, I applaud Dollywood's attention to detail and safety and that they aren't carelessly rushing this after it was delayed.

This new video shows the incredible queue and station for Lightning Rod...

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB6kU8fzkMc[/youtubevid]

EDIT: Embedded the YouTube video for you - Hixee

I think the queue line is an interesting idea, but it doesn't look particularly well pulled off. I'm grateful for the effort however.

I read that there have been more setbacks, so the delay might take much longer, despite all the testing stuff of the last weeks. Does anybody have some updates?

Read where? I feel like I've followed this pretty closely, and I've not heard any such bad news.

^^Yeah, where did you get that info? :?
I was talking with Pete Owens, the park's PR Manager, yesterday and he didn't mention a thing, but I know that Fred Grubb, RMC's owner, has been onsite for a while and the company's senior supervisor headed down to the park the other day, so there could be something amiss. However, I also know that there are other things that I can't mention going on that would suggest that the coaster might be opening sooner rather than later.

ECG said:
^^Yeah, where did you get that info? :?
I was talking with Pete Owens, the park's PR Manager, yesterday and he didn't mention a thing, but I know that Fred Grubb, RMC's owner, has been onsite for a while and the company's senior supervisor headed down to the park the other day, so there could be something amiss. However, I also know that there are other things that I can't mention going on that would suggest that the coaster might be opening sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the infos, did you catch any testing progress?
There are not many videos online which show some interesting stuff, so I wondered if they are going forward at all.
Would like to know what makes you think that they are opening sooner than later.... :wink:

Boris1981 said:
BigBad said:
Read where? I feel like I've followed this pretty closely, and I've not heard any such bad news.

It was on this site: http://coaster-net.com/forums/index.php ... ad/page-18
But it might be speculation only...

Even on the message board you linked to, someone posted, "I heard....." so its clearly speculation. If you read further back in this thread, you'll see a picture of some "Rules for posting on social media" Dollywood has for its employees. Most people are pretty tight lipped about it. There was one employee I am following on Instagram who used to post a bunch of updates but now since that the rules came out, he's been pretty hush hush.

Unless you hear it officially from Pete Owen's mouth, I would take it as speculation. ECG has pretty good communication with Pete so his information is trustworthy.

A friend of mine rode it today. He's not with RMC nor is he a Dollywood employee, so the opening shouldn't be too far off.