What's new

Dollywood | Lightning Rod | Launched RMC

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Plus, keep in mind that that was an EMPTY TEST RUN, so when that has 24 riders in it... mother of God that airtime will be ballistic <3333

Ben

CF Legend
I thought that video looked really quick!

Like, you can just see the airtime looking at it.

I'm moist. Like, so moist. I've nearly flooded my basement.

Intricks

Strata Poster
So my friend has gotten an email in regards to Media Day for Lightning Rod.

It is set for Thursday, the 24th.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
That looks even better than the promo videos.

I'm gonna have no Intamins left in my top 10 if RMC keep this up.

BigBad

Mega Poster
Intricks said:
So my friend has gotten an email in regards to Media Day for Lightning Rod.

It is set for Thursday, the 24th.
Meaning that they expect to be letting guests ride it by then?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So any further updates, rumors, or speculations? I am hearing that March 24th will just be Dolly kicking off the new season?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^That's correct. RMC have not turned the coaster over to the park yet, however the park could send the coaster around the track without riders during the event. I still plan on being there Thursday and will hopefully find out more details as to when we can expect the coaster to open.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Screamscape shared reader-submitted photos from the season pass preview day, with views of LR from the path and surrounding areas: http://www.screamscape.com/html/dollywood.htm#2016

db_2016_0322_LightningRod11.jpg

db_2016_0322_LightningRod21.jpg

db_2016_0322_LightningRod31.jpg

db_2016_0322_LightningRod41.jpg

db_2016_0131_LightningRod11.jpg

db_2016_0131_LightningRod31.jpg

db_2016_0131_LightningRod41.jpg

db_2016_0131_LightningRod51.jpg

db_2016_0131_LightningRod61.jpg

db_2016_0131_LightningRod71.jpg

db_2016_0131_LightningRod81.jpg

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Pink Panther said:
The facade feels a little cheap for Dollywood's standards, but its a gas station, so that was always going to happen.

Hyde said:

icu :p
Yeah these trains do look a bit too cartoony, especially considering what this ride represents (record setting, insane woodie) but whatever, this ride will be great.

jay37415

Mega Poster
Dollywood is promoting the coaster for Thrills in the Hills. On April 8-9. They even have the extended ERT time on LR Saturday night. It is safe to assume that they are trying to have it ready for then.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Just found this on RMC's Facebook:

Rocky Mountain Construction co-owner Fred Grubb has released the following statement on the recently announced delay to the opening of Lightning Rod at Dollywood Theme Park in Pigeon Forge, TN:

“We take the highest level of pride in every attraction we create. RMC is equally disappointed that Lightning Rod will not be opening as originally planned. We have been working with the launch system subcontractor on-site to bring it up to speed and working as intended.

As is often the case with prototype attractions and especially with launched coasters, delays are an ever-present possibility. During the course of testing, we determined that the third-party launch system would not be able to perform at the level required for proper operation.

While we strive to meet all of our deadlines, we cannot and will not sacrifice safety or ride quality in the name of saving time. RMC never has nor ever will open any new attraction until it has passed our rigorous standards.

At this time, we cannot speculate as to when the attraction will open to the general public. That date is ultimately decided upon by the customer, therefore all questions regarding an opening should be directed to Dollywood.

On behalf of all the employees at Rocky Mountain Construction, I want to personally thank the management team at Dollywood, the fans of the park as well as our fans for their patience and understanding as we work to bring you Lightning Rod.”

http://rockymtnconstruction.com/press.php

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
The "subcontractor" here is the issue I think. I read that the launch is being done by a company called Velocity Magnetics, one that has never touched a launch system. This was engineered from the ground up for this ride if I'm correct.

What baffles me is why they didn't go with Vekoma on it. They've worked with Vekoma for the truss lift on Wildfire and Vekoma's made numerous successful launch systems. I guarantee you had they gone with Vekoma for this I'd have ridden it by now.

Lofty

CF Legend
LOL. They went with the current company for a reason. For all you know, the train may be the issue and nothing to do with the launch mechanism on the track itself.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.