What's new

Dollywood | Lightning Rod | Launched RMC

Lofty

CF Legend
This is going so far in-depth now, contacting regulatory bodies to see if it's opening on time. When in reality, it may be ready to open but have a technical issue on the day preventing it doing so, it's all clutching at straws...

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
From what I've heard from people who've seen it test, it's really fast and impressive.

This is literally going to come down to how much testing RMC requires. I've heard as low as 200 and 500 to as high as 1500. I don't imagine they'd require as much testing for their rides as a stingy Swiss manufacturer like B&M or Intamin. I'm sure they're cycling it every second they can. If they require around or below 500 I can see them signing it over by Monday, then they have plenty of time to train staff. Then it should be ready if there aren't any steps I'm missing.

From what I heard by word of mouth they're 75% sure it'll be ready, so that's not a bad figure at all but from a not-so-reliable source.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Lofty said:
This is going so far in-depth now, contacting regulatory bodies to see if it's opening on time. When in reality, it may be ready to open but have a technical issue on the day preventing it doing so, it's all clutching at straws...
People are asking questions on what the ride testing requirements are in Tennessee, we know it is something regulated by the state, and I have a masters degree in public administration. Just trying to help land an answer.

Lofty

CF Legend
Hyde said:
Lofty said:
People are asking questions on what the ride testing requirements are in Tennessee, we know it is something regulated by the state, and I have a masters degree in public administration. Just trying to help land an answer.
=D>

I was just making a point that, yet again, coaster enthusiasts are using their 'powers', whatever that might be, to gain information that could be rendered pointless at the breaking of a sensor on the day :lol:

Jarrett

^But we haven't broken a sensor yet now have we? Yes, this thing could crack a part and **** on us just like the original Jarrettmobile did on the 17th and leave her sitting up on jacks for the first days of opening weekend.

However, I promise you that if you look at the Gantt chart to the project I'll promise you that "blow a PLC" isn't on there. They don't plan on that happening. That could very well happen but at this point we just want to know if they still plan on being able to open it even without problems of that nature.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
"really fast and impresive" makes me so happy. I'm going to try as hard as I can not to watch any testing footage, so I can be surprised at how it runs when I go on the 23rd :)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I'm going to try and avoid any videos of testing or on ride till I actually ride it. I want to be surprised.

Oh look a pov... (is what I will do when one shows up)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

jay37415

Mega Poster
You should do what I do and plan on riding it on opening day. Then you wont have to worry about things like that.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
2500 miles makes that a bit difficult, plus, another shameless plug, we will be there June 13 for the live whoring this the entire day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
Jarrett said:
^But we haven't broken a sensor yet now have we? Yes, this thing could crack a part and **** on us just like the original Jarrettmobile did on the 17th and leave her sitting up on jacks for the first days of opening weekend.

However, I promise you that if you look at the Gantt chart to the project I'll promise you that "blow a PLC" isn't on there. They don't plan on that happening. That could very well happen but at this point we just want to know if they still plan on being able to open it even without problems of that nature.
You don't really get what I'm saying do you? That was an example of just many things that are plausible and possible to happen on an operational day of a roller coaster. At the end of the day, my point is that anything could go wrong and shut a coaster down for the day... But, please, tell me that I'm wrong and that a **** chart will prove me wrong.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I feel like two throwaway comments by Jarrett and Lofty have been taken too seriously by the other party. Unfortunately, I feel like it's gone from sensible back-and-forth discussion, to circular bickering, and I think it's unnecessary. We all know you're both right.

1. RMC and Dollywood know what they're doing.
2. The programme has obviously allowed for plenty of testing, but we don't know exactly how much since none of us are working on the project.
3. This is a prototype ride, so there is a higher chance there will be teething problems. RMC and Dollywood will know this, and have planned accordingly.
4. Anything could still shut the ride down on any day.

We're all hoping that it opens without a hitch (at least, I hope we are), but we all need to accept that this is an unknown - probably more so than a 'normal' coaster opening - and to remain optimistic and realistic.

davidm

Strata Poster
Shame, but...

Mar 15 : Current Notifications
Lightning Rod will not be open to the general public at this time due to extended ride commissioning. Lightning Rod is an innovative ride featuring new technology never before used on a wooden coaster. The ride manufacturer asked for additional time to commission the ride. Keep watching Dollywood.com for future updates.

(from home page of Dollywood)

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, that's not surprising.

I feel like it was a little later to be finished than they'd really hoped, and whilst they could have perhaps got it done, it would be a push, and that just hasn't happened in their favour.

I'm sure it'll only be a week or so.

Jarrett

Oh look, Emily and I get screwed out of an RMC again.

Not gonna lie, not only a I gutted but I honestly don't even want to go this weekend. I'm already booked but I'd rather have a mediocre time at home than a miserable time at Dollywood.

Dar

Hyper Poster
There is this video of it testing though, so that helps? Right?

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/159097494[/vimeo]

EDIT - Fixed the embedding for you - Hixee

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
No word on a media day either. This is what they sent out to season pass holders:

dollywoodopeningday2016.jpg

Snoo

The Legend
Jarrett said:
Oh look, Emily and I get screwed out of an RMC again.

Not gonna lie, not only a I gutted but I honestly don't even want to go this weekend. I'm already booked but I'd rather have a mediocre time at home than a miserable time at Dollywood.

Thats why you dont go to Opening Day.