What's new

Dollywood | Lightning Rod | Launched RMC

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Everything is on schedule so far and testing will start in the next couple of days.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Looks like ride envelope testing has started!

12742653_1113772491980105_6494680032290324334_n.jpg

Source: Irvine Ondrey Engineering's Facebook page

jay37415

Mega Poster
Reminds me of the hill on Twister. Imagine being launched through that.

On a side note: check out how much cable is running through that tray. Lot of voltage there.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Jarrett said:
No idea how to get image addresses from Instagram so I'll just link to the post. But RMC just posted to their Instagram that there are two pieces left and she's ready for testing!
I'd be surprised if they'll start testing that quickly. I would wager at least a week or so. They'll want to do lots of final checks and make sure all the sensors and controls are running as designed before sending trains round - even empty ones.

But God damn.... that looks wonderful. <3

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Hixee said:
Jarrett said:
No idea how to get image addresses from Instagram so I'll just link to the post. But RMC just posted to their Instagram that there are two pieces left and she's ready for testing!
I'd be surprised if they'll start testing that quickly. I would wager at least a week or so. They'll want to do lots of final checks and make sure all the sensors and controls are running as designed before sending trains round - even empty ones.

Apparently, since the electronics and controls were installed way before the actual coaster structure was complete, they might be ready for testing.

I am following IOE (the control supplier) and they showed that there's power supply to the ride, and that they have done a lot of wiring work and programming on the ride. Hopefully, when the last bolt is installed, they will just need to make sure that everything is tight and well assembled (aren't they already doing pull-through/safety envelope run to check that anyway?) and just run a train, which has been inspected since they were delivered quite some time ago...

I bet Dollywood will have this running by opening day. Can't wait to see the train rumbling down the quad-drop.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
oriolat2 said:
Hixee said:
Jarrett said:

Apparently, since the electronics and controls were installed way before the actual coaster structure was complete, they might be ready for testing.

I am following IOE (the control supplier) and they showed that there's power supply to the ride, and that they have done a lot of wiring work and programming on the ride. Hopefully, when the last bolt is installed, they will just need to make sure that everything is tight and well assembled (aren't they already doing pull-through/safety envelope run to check that anyway?) and just run a train, which has been inspected since they were delivered quite some time ago...

I bet Dollywood will have this running by opening day. Can't wait to see the train rumbling down the quad-drop.
A right, fair enough. It's something I'd definitely like to know more about - I know roughly what is involved with getting the ride ready (from a controls point of view), but I'm not familiar with any regulations governing testing of systems.

Jarrett

So this guy who works at the park as a VIP tour guide just posted this...

12833275_10209311487010196_1600682793_n.jpg

Apparently they haven't gone full circuit yet but someone I talk to who knows people said that Tennessee only requires 200 cycles, which is doable in about 1.25 workdays for them.

Dollywood also has restricted photos/videos of the ride testing by employees because the marketing team has a special way they want to present that, so this employee is probably as official as you're going to get.

Come on, get it ready! Bae and I are ready! 11 days...

Snoo

The Legend
Thats also why I'm happy I'm not going for a few months. Saves time and don't have to worry about NUFFIN <3

jay37415

Mega Poster
I have heard that hey are testing late in the day or at night so workers or the GP cant get pictures of it testing. But they are testing the lift but it hasnt gone full circuit yet.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Where is that drone guy when you need him? :razz:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Latest Screamscape speculation is no season passholder preview:

(3/10/16) Just since I've had so many people asking me about what was going on with Lightning Rod, I figure I'll mention it again for those who missed what I've said already, and perhaps I'll be more blunt about it. According to everything I'm hearing from my sources, and from others... do NOT expect to see Lightning Rod running in any fashion by the park's passholder preview day (Mar. 18) or on opening weekend (Mar. 19-20).

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
^When the 19th comes around and if it's not ready, THEN I'll believe it. I've been talking to an employee, and he says its still on track. 2 days go, he said they were testing the launch, and it has to be EXTREMELY close to going full circuit by now. I'm actually getting annoyed by all these "it wont be ready" comments everywhere. They still have 8 days until passholder preview, which is plenty enough time for 200 cycles. Not gonna lie, this is way too close for comfort for me, especially since I'm going the 22nd-25th.

Jarrett

I'll admit they're cutting it close but I don't think a lot of people realize just how much is done. They've clearance tested it, the computer system is up, I have all but confirmation from an employee that they've been rollback testing the launch, and all they need is 200 cycles.

What on earth do they still need to do? A day and a quarter of full circuit is all the park needs, and if they're already giving it juice from the ride's only launch and the transfer tables are all tested, they still have plenty of time.

If it hasn't gone full circuit by the middle of next week I'd worry. But they still have plenty of time.

XLR8R

Roller Poster
9 days until an opening for a prototype coaster without any full circuit tests is cutting it really close...

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Just got word from a friend that Lightning Rod has officially made "at least two" full circuit test runs!! I really don't know what the holdup could be.. everything looks ready to roll. At least now It's running!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've no doubt they're on top of things, both RMC and Dollywood know what they're doing - but like XLR8R said, don't forget this is a prototype ride for RMC and so is likely to need more testing than a normal coaster.

I'm optimistic they're going to do it, but there's something in the back of my mind saying it might not. It's getting pretty close!

Jarrett

Two Instagrammers that work there have spilled the beans saying it's testing full circuit, so with how they're crunching it they should be able to get it out. I've heard Tennessee only requires 200 cycles, I've heard RMC requires 500, either way that should take 3.5 days max. Let's also not forget that the next step from this is training staff and opening it to the public. Let's also not forget that Dollywood and RMC have a perfect track record (with the exception of Goliath and that was technically Six Flags at fault), and with preview night being a week out they'd tell us if they couldn't have it open I'm sure.

Regardless, the Coaster Crew event is next weekend. My girlfriend and I will be there. We will have fun regardless of what happens with Lightning, what happens with the weather, what kinds of jerks show up to harass us, Emily and I will enjoy ourselves. We will fangirl hardcore when we see Lightning Rod in person. We will be there with our matching Skyrush shirts. Can't wait! :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I went ahead and dug into the Tennessee Revised Code to see what the state's statute required for opening a new amusement park ride. A state's "Revised Code" is their state laws; in the United States, regulation of amusement park safety and ride inspection is delegated to each individual state.

Tennessee does not require a specific length of time or cycles for a roller coaster to open. Here is the specific text:

Tennessee State Law said:
68-121-120. Operation of amusement device -- Inspections -- Permit.

(a) A person shall not operate an amusement device unless the owner has:

(1) The amusement device inspected at least once annually by a qualified inspector, whom the owner or an insurer has provided to perform the inspection, and obtains from the qualified inspector written documentation that the inspection has been made and that the amusement device meets American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM) standards and is covered by the insurance required by � 68-121-117(b); and

(2) Obtained an annual permit as required by � 68-121-117(a)(1).

(b) The inspection required pursuant to subdivision (a)(1) shall be conducted at a minimum to meet the manufacturer's or engineer's specifications and to follow the applicable ASTM standards.

(c) The commissioner may conduct a spot inspection of any amusement device without notice at any time while the amusement device is operating or will be operating in this state. The commissioner's designee may order temporary suspension of an operating permit if it has been determined after a spot inspection that an amusement device or devices are hazardous or unsafe. Operation of the amusement device shall not resume until the hazardous or unsafe condition has been corrected and subjected to reinspection by the commissioner for an inspection fee established by rule.

So Tennessee requires a ride be inspected to the extent required by a manufacturer. RMC's recommended cycle/time duration for testing would then be the required length.

I sent this question to the Tennessee Elevator & Amusement Device Safety Board. I'll let everyone know if I receive an official response.

Here is the latest rumor on the street for opening. People still feel confident about opening by March 18th for season pass holder day:

rollercoasterpic.png