What's new

Chessington World of Adventures: YOUR VIEWS WANTED

Mike

Giga Poster
height restriction of over 1.2m

I think you're seriously underestimating how tall 10-12 year old kids are.
1.4m is only about 4'6", and most 10-12 year olds that I've seen are about or over this mark.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^But I'm not underestimating the height of the high majority of kids who visit Chessie... Hence why Rameses never has a queue nowadays...

Steven

Giga Poster
I’m pretty sure space mission 2 and rock n roller coaster in Paris has a lower height restriction and they both have speackers on board and both have launches. Could this be a possible solution to the cannonball coaster? Hearing the loud boom, some nice fast paced, well timed, music and the rumbling off the base in your seat. If they done that but made it smooth like the rock and roller coaster NOT like space mission two which is a ****ing hell ‘o’ bone shaker. Then yes I would like to see one.

jokerman

Giga Poster
^Those are both really well themed and made coasters, and would both be very expensive. I just don't think that Chessie would have that sort of money. But it's a nice thought.

Tim

Roller Poster
Actually, I'm fairly certain X:no Way out has onboard audio capabilities. If a ride model at the bottom of a companies ride range can have it, I'm sure it is cheap enough to install on any other.

However, it'd be a lot less effective on an outdoor coaster.

But I did suggest an indoor coaster as an alternative... =)

jokerman

Giga Poster
Yeah, but look at the rest of X://NWO. It's rubbish. Whereas the rides mentioned are good all round, not just audio. That was what I was referring to.

spicy

Giga Poster
Another idea that I thought would be good for Chessie is how about a China acrobat show in the mystic east?
Port Aventura and Epcot have similar shows in the China themed areas of the park and the park is lacking in shows other than the animal shows in the zoo.

peep

CF Legend
Recently Chessie seems to have been doing some new signs and repaints around the park, I'm hoping this continues next year. I also pray that the entire Rattlesnake theming gets touched up, effects fixed, new animatronics etc.

I'm not too sure where (maybe as a replacement of the Tiny Truckers?) but they should so get a ride similar to Walt Disney Studio's Cars race rally attraction. The ride type (I believe made by Zamperla) usually has a good throughput and should really benefit the park as its great for all ages.

If Tim's roman area idea came to life what about moving the berry bouncers into the area and re-theming them to roman-style columns, could even have them integrated into real column supports for another building.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I know that it is rare that parks listen to enthusiasts, or even rarer that they actually ask for their opinion and ideas, so that alone should make us pretty priviledged. That there actually are people up in the system reading our suggestions, maybe even considering them, is really cool.
But could we dare ask for an answer? A short briefing of what the park thinks of our ideas? It doesn't have to be top-confidental info about their plans for future rides, just if it has been useful to ask us? Are we dreaming/demanding/complaining too much? Are our ideas too far-fetched? Or did we actually give some ideas?

Just a small briefing would be very appreciated.

And a few more ideas...
- Intamin Mega-Lite coasters are considered very good, though at the expense of about 7.5 million pounds. As far as I'm aware, it would be one of few rides in the UK based around airtime, which it absolutely delivers

- The GCI Wooden coasters are slightly cheaper (£5-6 million), and may be as thrilling. The UK haven't seen many wooden coasters lately, and GCI delivers some of the best rides. The smaller Intamin Wooden coasters are slightly more expensive, a Balder model comes at about £9 million

- If you are looking over the £10 million mark, a Batman: The Ride clone from Bollliger and Mabillard would be a good buy. Though, they are amongst the more intense rides out there, so it might not be suitable for the target audience.

- Back to Intamin, the ZacSpin models are few in numbers, and would be unique to the UK. The price is relatively low too, standing at £3 million. The easily recognisable silhouette of those would also work well in advertising campaigns.

- Gerstlauer also make some pretty fun Launched Coasters. While their EuroFighters are popping up all over the world, few Gerstlauer Launchers have been built. They are supposedly quite fun too. The price tag would be around the £5-7 million area.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Two of your ideas are far-fetched...

See the Mega-Lite and Batman clone...

Height of the ride and height restriction respectively being the issues here...

All the others are decent ideas...

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
I haven't read the other posts in this topic, but the kind of coaster I'd most like to see in a family park is one that introduces children to some of the more adult like elements of rides.

As a perfect example of market research, my brother is about 13 years old and still too scared to go on any of the larger rides. What I think would encourage him to go onto bigger rides is if there was some small kiddie coaster, but with a tiny loop, or airtime hill, or something in there. If the theming was child friendly, i.e. bright and colourful instead of menacing like, for example Oblivion, I think more of the younger generation would become thrillseekers and consequently there would be more people visitng not just chessington, but parks with larger rides like thorpe.

The type of ride I have in mind would either be a sort of terrain style mine train, where at any one point you can only see a bit of a drop, but on the ride there are a few airtime hills and quite a large overall drop so that it gradually picks up speed; or a very small, 30ft or so 1 car looper, possibly pinfari (if they are still in business?) but basically a gentle drop into a pretty much forceless loop and then round a few turns and back into the station.

I appreciate that if a kid has a bad experience on a ride like this, he will think 'If that ride is scary, and that ride looks tame, then the scary rides must be really really scary.' which is why it would be essential to emphasize the fun theming and try to make it enjoyable instead of scary.

This idea will probably, unfortunately not ever get taken up but hey.

Oh, P.s. a very small enterprise ride, instead of the looper, if they make them in variable sizes, would be perfect for the job, and probably cheaper than a whoe coaster. It would have to be painted garishly though... hehehe...

P.p.s, after reading one of the above posts, I was reminded about launched coasters. This suggestion is not entirely serious, but how about a kiddie version of stealth with a 20ft, 45* sides, top hat and a 20mph in 5 secs launch? Just a little thing to show them that stealth isn't so bad...

Ollie

CF Legend
I say a ride in the dark that looks like a crap family coaster. And when kids go on it it has surprise elements like a loop and maybe a couple of corkscrews, and then when they see they like it they will want to go on bigger things. :)

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Lol yeah I thought of that, but I also thought, those kids are going to tell everyone else and they're gonna be too scared. Or newspapers will. better to give them loops honestly.

I also thought of having a massive uber thrill ride theming, and then it goes thru a tunnel, comes out the other side as a kids baby train right in front of all the crowds...

jokerman

Giga Poster
Inversionperson said:
As a perfect example of market research, my brother is about 13 years old and still too scared to go on any of the larger rides.

I would hardly call asking your brother one question perfect market research. And you can't just make a small version of bigger rides. It wouldn't work the same way.

Mike

Giga Poster
Inversionperson said:
As a perfect example of market research, my brother is about 13 years old and still too scared to go on any of the larger rides.

...and my sister's 12, and she'll go on all types of rides.
She'll do rides like Nemesis, Stealth, Samurai and Evolutions easily.

Jools

Giga Poster
Mike said:
Inversionperson said:

...and my sister's 12, and she'll go on all types of rides.
She'll do rides like Nemesis, Stealth, Samurai and Evolutions easily.

And I have been going on the big ones ever since I was taller enough :--D

Anyway, would it be a good idea to bring a family Motorbike launching coaster (probably Zamperla) to the park as they seem to provide fun and a bit of thrill.

Second idea is a smaller wooden coaster like Antelope at Gulliver's, as it is really hard to think of any other ride that scares the s*** out of little kids, or wimpy kids about to become teenagers, and infact I still know some people to scared to go on Vampire that are 14! So Chessington should just free things up a bit I think, by making it family/thrill seeker again.

If they were looking to try to make the park a bit more thrilling then I suggest a launching coaster by Gerstlauer or Vekoma.