What's new

Cheetah Hunt- Intamin for Busch Gardens Tampa

nadroJ

CF Legend
Not that I don't LOVE B&M but I'd be quite happy to see BGT get an Intamin launchy-type, similar to Maverick. When I say similar I mean something that doesn't just do a launch, top-hat, airtime hill of no airtime, breaks then back to the station jobby.

But then Blue Fire does look as appealing to me if not more than Maverick so something in a similar style to either would be good in my opinion =]

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Ooh, very cool. I had a feeling the layout would be pretty expansive. I do feel, though, that once we see the actual numbers, it won't be too over the top large since it's pretty much a straight shot out and back. And with what I can expect to be a layout right along the ground, I expect it'll pass pretty quickly. Still, I'm really excited... just to see something different. I'm all for B&M hypers, but the sameness involved in that sort of layout is almost a tad disappointing after some time. So to see a coaster like this is very cool.
It's an interesting juxtaposition of tighter corners with more open things, so it'll be interesting to see how something like that might be handled in terms of theming and things. 2 launches is very cool-- I hope to see that as a rolling launch rather than something where there's brakes beforehand. I found that to be a detractor on Maverick to have the coaster stop before the launch.
Either way, I'm excited to be down in Orlando for the summer so I can jump over there a few times and see construction progressing. This is already one of the more exciting projects for next year.

Snoo

The Legend
S&S Power launches might not fit it because of the system but Intamin definitely has the tools to complete something this massive.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I don't know, Powder Keg does have an extensive layout at 3,500 ft., and seems to have similar features to this layout.

I would imagine S&S or Premier would be good candidates.

Mike T

Mega Poster
Few facts for you to chew on:

1) This will be the Fastest and Longest roller coaster in the Southeastern United States - yes that means we're going after Intimidator's records.

2) This ride will feature 3 very strong launches.

3) The attraction will be a Manta-style bi-fold attraction - hybrid animal / coaster exhibition.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Good God, that layout is massive! I haven't been to BGT in quite a while but this is going to give me a very good reason to make the trip.

With multiple launches, a very long length and all those curves, I have to think this is an Intamin accelerator.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
One can only hope that if it is like Maverick it will not have such a awesome ride ruined by those crappy restraints...

It looks... Too big if that makes sense in regards to the actual layout itself... Slight worry that the pacing may be actually awful... Wait and see really...

A

Anonymous

If' it's an Intamin then it will not only be the first Intamin launch coaster but also the first Intamin coaster in Florida, same goes for S&S. Even though I would rather see a Mack due to their awesome trains.

As for a launch system then if they are going for the South-eastern US speed record then it might more likely to have a Hydraulic launch or Air launch, since if they were to use magnetic systems, then it would drain a lot of energy in short bursts (unless they have some kind of storage system and maybe even a regenerative braking system like that Maurer Söhne is working on for their new launched X-Cars).

Snoo

The Legend
Hyde244 said:
^ I don't know, Powder Keg does have an extensive layout at 3,500 ft., and seems to have similar features to this layout.

I would imagine S&S or Premier would be good candidates.

Well, judging by this layout and the number of launches, unless they get the blocking system right/know what the hell they are doing with a lot of trains, I severly doubt Busch would trust something of this size and magnitude to companies without a proven track record.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ok, just a quick question...

How would multiple hydraulic/air launches work? They use that whole catch car thing, and I'm sure the train wouldn't be stopped and re-set for the next launch. It would ruin the flow of the ride and be a mechanical nightmare.

Would that mean an initial hydraulic launch, presuming they're going for that southern US speed record, followed by LSM/LIM booster launches, or possibly an entirely new system?

Mike T

Mega Poster
I'm with Gavin. I don't understand why its so hard to grasp the concept. Both Maverick and California Screamin use the same methods of propulsion as this ride will and they turned out quite well.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
gavin said:
Would that mean an initial hydraulic launch, presuming they're going for that southern US speed record, followed by LSM/LIM booster launches, or possibly an entirely new system?
I would have to imagine it would use an initial hydraulic launch followed by LIM launches in the same fashion Speed - The Ride & Volcano use the second LIM launch. That way there would be no interruption in the flow of the ride.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Maverick slows down or even comes to a complete stop for the tunnel launch, whereas Speed - The Ride & Volcano cruise right through the 2nd launch, which is why I mentioned the LIM launch.

A

Anonymous

^^ Most likely LSM's all Intamin sit downs, except for Cali Screaming, use them.

And seeing that there isn't any "Winch" building that they normally use on an Accelerator could mean that it will be a LSM only system. Another thing to think about is, are they going to use the "new" track system (Intimidator, Ferrari world coaster) or the older tri/quad track?