What's new

Cheetah Hunt- Intamin for Busch Gardens Tampa

Jake

Strata Poster
I find the new big Intamin track ugly, however, if this cred is as huge and fast as it sounds, it will most likely have it <//3.

Snoo

The Legend
This is exactly why I was ruling out other designers, simply because they have almost no experience in multiple launches. Meanwhile, Intamin does.

But, we know Intamin is designing it.. so boom.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
And as mentioned: Speed - The Ride.
UC said:
Where did all this talk about "an initial hydraulic launch followed by LSM launches" come up?
Can an LSM or LIM launch break speed records?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
UC said:
Does it matter?
Not really, but I was just going by this because Mike always seems to know what he's talking about.
Mike T said:
This will be the Fastest and Longest roller coaster in the Southeastern United States - yes that means we're going after Intimidator's records.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Bangs head.
Yes, the launch on the two Intamin reverse free falls was weak, but the point is LSMs are capable of making stuff go quite fast, and obviously a newer installation would be able to offer higher efficiency and better acceleration performance than the ones built 15 years ago.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
UC said:
To sum it up, Jerry's question about the feasibility of the LSM system to break speed records would've certainly been a valid one - had he not forgotten about how fast iSpeed and Maverick launch :lol:.
We were talking 75mph plus to be faster that Timmy & I know Mavvy only does 70mph, so even though I didn't know about iSpeed (which doesn't quite reach 75mph) I still think my question was legit. I'll take your word for it that a LSM launch can reach speeds near 80mph or better, but what I'd like to know is if they can work like the second LIM launch on Speed - The Ride or Volcano? It would be a shame if this coaster would have to slow down like Maverick does for the additional launches.
I'll probably have another question or two depending on your reply.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Thinking about it, we should ask UC for permission to use some of his posts on the main site. I learn a lot from them, and I bet others would find his simple yet accurate descritions interesting.

Also, I take it WingWalkers are out of the question? It's only feasible if those S-curves in upper left are taken really slowly. Thinking about it, even then the stress on the outer seats would be quite big. And regardless, who wants to guess how much energy you need to launch such a heavy train thrice during once circuit?

neo

Mega Poster
UC said:
For example, while LIM could certainly be used to achieve a speed record, it should be noted that even after years and years of building coasters with the LIM system, we've yet to find a way to make them go very fast without chewing up an unrealistic amount of juice to do so.

That’s incorrect. Linear Induction Motors are essentially Rotary Induction Motors (but linear), and they’ve been using current suppression techniques for years. Essentially it means limiting the acceleration of the motor/train (with a lower top speed) and then increasing that top speed successively (limiting the acceleration and current), much like the gears on a bicycle. In fact I would be surprised if Intamin/Premier Rides didn’t already use this technique.

If current surges are still an issue for a park, there is no reason why an Incredible Hulk style launch power system couldn’t be used (which incidentally uses Rotary Induction Motors). Indeed I believe that’s one advantage and clinching factor for many parks in buying hydraulic launch systems, as the hydraulic pumps are always turning and drawing a constant current.

Regardless, LSMs do not have these power issues since they draw a constant current/power. Theoretically LSMs and LIMs (providing current suppression is used) have a maximum speed of infinity since there are no moving parts or friction involved within the launch technique. However the train does produce friction, so any magnetic roller coaster launch is really just limited to the engineering of its rolling stock.

Given the similarities in train design between launch coasters, Intamin’s current LSM launch coaster system could have a maximum speed of over 128mph. And that would enable Busch Gardens to claim Florida’s fastest launch coaster with ease.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I must say, I don't know much about it, but it certainly seems like it could be a brilliant ride, with all the ground hugging.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks UC. I had a feeling you would probably answer my question in a way that I wouldn't need to ask one or two more (as I said I might) & that's exactly what you did.
To tell the truth I knew that Maverick's launch is part of the block braking, since I've experienced it a few times when they've had problems with trains in the station above, but I wasn't sure why they always had to slow the trains down so much or that an LSM system could work without slowing the train down.
Of course it would make sense for them to use a similar system on this coaster, for the reasons you pointed out, and I should have guessed as much if I had thought about it a bit more.

CMonster

Giga Poster
Would they be able to have each LSM system as the end/beginning of a block without the train having to slow down?

Gazza

Giga Poster
While I agree (to an extent, given the speeds we're discussing) with your assessment of LSMs in this case, it should be noted that it's a bit presumptive to assume that just because we've had a system for X number of years doesn't mean it's necessarily any better or worse than when it first came out.
Course its better than when it first came out. If you go by average acceleration rates, then the 1.2g launch of iSpeed is a marked improvement than the 0.64g launch of TOT/Superman.

Besides, you did say:
that early-generation LSM system isn't exactly the most efficient or reliable around...
So it was you that first drew the "presumptive" comparison between "early-generation" systems and what we have today :wink:

Hence me facepalming when you thought I was suggesting we'd recycle the TOT/Superman launch as is on a record breaker, which is silly. You'd take iSpeed's system and make it a bit longer/give it more juice or whatever.

If current surges are still an issue for a park, there is no reason why an Incredible Hulk style launch power system couldn’t be used (which incidentally uses Rotary Induction Motors). Indeed I believe that’s one advantage and clinching factor for many parks in buying hydraulic launch systems, as the hydraulic pumps are always turning and drawing a constant current.

Coincidentally, Maurer Sohne actually offer this, and I have seen Intamin mention a similar offering in the past.

http://www.parkworld-online.com/news/fu ... jects.html
"The German manufacturer Maurer Söhne is preparing a dual-track rollercoaster for a client in Abu Dhabi that will simulate an automobile race. There will be four separate LSM launch sections with two flywheel power storage units."

A

Anonymous

^ I think Gerstlauer also is having some kind of kinetic storage system for their LSM coasters: http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/english/ ... uer_E.html

Maurer Söhne are now going a step further and will be introducing a regenerative braking system to generate energy on a breaking train, to be used for the next launch. Wonder if they are going to use super capacitors to store the energy, since a hydraulic/flywheel system might be too "slow" to cope with that.

I wonder how much they can increase the launch force by doubling up the LSM units (2 rows like the brakes are mounted on an Accelerator).

Also on the block section matter or booster sections on the BGA coaster. It all comes down to what kind of train they are going to use, many short trains = several blocks or a couple of long ones (unlikely) then there might be some booster sections. But seeing the straight section before the "Rhino Rally" part could mean that there will be an additional brake/trim there.
Wonder where the record launch will be? Middle or the last one??

andrus

Giga Poster
Pokemaniac said:
Also, I take it WingWalkers are out of the question? It's only feasible if those S-curves in upper left are taken really slowly. Thinking about it, even then the stress on the outer seats would be quite big. And regardless, who wants to guess how much energy you need to launch such a heavy train thrice during once circuit?
I never thought of the possibility of a wing walker before! A huge ground hugging layout without tight turns/inversions and with a launch, this sure could be intamins second wing walker beeing installed at bgt! :)