Cheetah Hunt- Intamin for Busch Gardens Tampa

A-Kid

Giga Poster
A few more bits are on a bit of grass.

IMG_2626.jpg

http://www.rollercoasterpro.com/updates/bgt9.28.10/

RiderFreakout

Roller Poster
The whole uniqueness of the figure 8 design is a tad out of the ordinary, but thats what Busch Gardens is all about. They proved that they can take something different and turn it intot a class A ride when they built Sheikra. All I know is that I MUST make a trip down to Tampa to ride this thing, it just looks waaaaaaay cool :)

CPcisco

Mega Poster
Interesting, they are using both the new I-Beam style and the original tubular supports on this one. I wonder which portions of the ride will utilize the two different styles.

I also can see the sand hole caps on some of the supports, so we know they are getting filled.

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm looking forward to seeing more construction images now these have turned up.

I have to say, that Figure of 8 element looks really strange..

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
UC said:
Even ignoring UC's point, which isn't particularly relevant because a good ride should make every element feel like an intentional part of it's narrative

How does designing an element around an existing part of your park that you don't want especially disturbed automatically dictate that the element won't feel like "an intentional part of [a ride's] narrative?"

Give me a break. We barely know what the "narrative" here is, beyond the general theme. Besides, you basically said yourself (not more than a line later) that it'll be a nice touch to the ride's layout...

My point was that you shouldn't be judging an element simply by how it looks in a concept drawing, which doesn't take in to account the many viewpoints of that particular element, or, in this case, even the general area that the element will sit in. I was also pointing out that there are specific design reasons why this was put here - but at no point did I say it was the only possibility. They probably had multiple choices (up to, and including, just going around/avoiding the area altogether), but they decided that for what they wanted to achieve, this element best fit the needs of both their restrictions and the ride they wanted to create.

I don't call that "sacrificing narrative for practicality," I call it "proper planning and ride design."
Did you look at my post past what you quoted? It wasn't very long...

"Even ignoring UC's point, which isn't particularly relevant because a good ride should make every element feel like an intentional part of it's narrative, I think it's cool... Breathers on rides that don't just completely stop the train are rare and it looks like it will be followed by ...launching drop? It's going to make riders anxious of what is to come. Neat."

The "even" suggests that I was in agreement with you, but that I was adding to it from the perspective of random riders, who couldn't care less what the design constraints of a ride was. When average people go to the cinema, they don't go knowing the film's budget and use that to judge the film.

So it's less relevant than the sheer fact that this element may actually be a good part of the ride's "narrative", and a good designer would make such an element work to their advantage.

You misunderstood because you jumped on the defensive wagon. Calm down dear. <3

And another thing, "narrative" was used loosely to refer to the ride's sequence of events. Not any possible story, which will at best be loose on ride anyway.

Oh and I bolded the point of your post which is a gigantic argument fallacy. It doesn't "automatically dictate" and I NEVER said it did.

CMonster

Giga Poster
Some of those supports look really weird, particularly the ones that kind of branch out, like in the first pic in the right-center.

CPcisco

Mega Poster
^That is the first support section that caught my eye. These do look alot weirder than most of the Intamin support sections I have ever seen. There are alot of weird looking shallow angles. I am going to believe that alot of the crazier supports that we are seeing are going to be for the figure 8 element, which is where I am guessing that one support section is going to end up.

Also as an added note, it looks like that piece you are talking about CMonster is actually branching downward and not upward. This can be seen by the position of the sand fill cap on the front most branch. I wish there was a picture that showed the if there was a flange on the opposite end of that support. I would be very shocked if there wasn't one, but it could happen.

Ollie

CF Legend
Sorry if this has been posted. But here's an image showing the track that's shown in each of the videos.
61081_160331413992638_100000473406509_481188_4557868_n.jpg

This is the first I've heard about this coaster. Been busy most this year and not had time to catch up on things. Can anyone fill me in on what we know about this so far and what I've missed? Don't have time to read 22 pages. :p

CMonster

Giga Poster
Er, Intamin, three launches, small trains (three cars of four rows I think), Cheetah exhibit, supports/track on site, lots of digging going on, recycling old monorail station for this...

All I can think of right now. :p

Oh, and a couple of teaser videos with people from the park, and the animated POVs you can see on Youtube.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
http://www.buschgardens2011.com/

We can now see the far section of track. Twisty. I will let you get the word this time. Its easy to find. Just think electricity.

I'm ripping the videos off the Busch site, editing all the clips together and the first element seems to work really well as far as pace between the launches, if this animation is near realistic of course... Not sure about the bit after the (what looks like a) MCBR, it seems slow, but then that will work great at enhancing the final launch (by slowing the pace then speeding it up, like in a film), giving the illusion of power.

A

Anonymous

I love that section, but I have a feeling that the Inline seems a bit unnecessary just like the one on FvN...

bob_3_

Giga Poster
The whole layout seems completely unstructured and random! But I think it'll give a really fun ride. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Gazza

Giga Poster
A-Kid said:
http://www.buschgardens2011.com/
I will let you get the word this time. Its easy to find. Just think electricity.
I tried circuit, bolt, zap and lightning. Got the answer for us non persistent types? :lol:

Edit, its power

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That looks brilliant. The close interactions with the rocks and that launch into the airtime hill look great. The waterfall feature looks pretty neat too!

CMonster

Giga Poster
Wow, excellent video, I'm just wondering about that straight section, not the first one which is obviously the MCBR, but the one over the water... it's just a long, straight section.

Unless there is in fact a water splash, but I can't really see that happening with Sheikra right there.