A-Kid

Giga Poster
Ok it now works for me.

I merged the clips for an easier watch.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNNFqyEp01I[/youtube]

CMonster

Giga Poster
Ah, I got it now! :--D

Is it just me, or does the train look kinda long? It's hard to tell because of the turns and such, but it looks longer than I expected.

Sweet vid, though. Can't wait till wednesday!

andrus

Giga Poster
Xcellerator does also have lapbars. I think it has more to do wheter a ride goes upside down or not. Of course I305 and Rita does have OTSR although they never invert, but that might be because of the hard transitions or maybe because the parks want to speed up loading (no need for a seatbelt), don't know really.. :p

Xpress

Strata Poster
The factor that determines whether or not they get OTSR's is the rotational speed. The faster the train rotates, the more of a mandated need there is for OTSR's.

Xcelerator and Dragster don't have a super high rotational speed, especially compared to Maverick, or Intamin 10 loopers.

andrus

Giga Poster
^"Rotational speed" as you express it is probably the same thing as I meant with "hard transitions". But that doesn't explain why Stealth, a ride very similar to Dragster, has otsr. It probably (at least sometimes) has to do with capacity as well.

Xpress

Strata Poster
SnooSnoo said:
^How does Kingda Ka figure into your equation hunny?

Who knows. Different states could have varying standards, so while Xcelerator is fine with lap bars here in California, if it were in NJ, if could require OTSR's to operate.

KK could also have a higher rotational speed than TTD. Like I said, it's anybodies guess...

bob_3_

Giga Poster
TTD's and Xcelerator's braking is alot let harsh than later Intamins. (from what I can see) Their brake runs are masssive.

Manufacturers change the way they do things! If what UC is saying is true (that later Intamins use harsher braking) about why they use OTSR, it would make sense. As it would mean you needed less room for a brake run, which is quite useful.

Of course rotational forces will come into play. But tbh..Intamin OTSR are bascically lapbars, the straps don't support anything, unless you're freakishly tall, I don't get why people moan, they don't even obstruct your view.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
bob_3_ said:
Of course rotational forces will come into play. But tbh..Intamin OTSR are bascically lapbars, the straps don't support anything, unless you're freakishly tall, I don't get why people moan, they don't even obstruct your view.

You've got all the elements of why people don't like them there, Bob.
They don't do anything for most of the rides they are on, then when you throw rotational motion into the equation, and you get some NASTY neck chops from what is essentially a steel edge with some rock hard padding chopping you in the neck or head.

andrus

Giga Poster
bob_3_ said:
I definitely prefer lapbars to otsr since they're just a round bar with no shaping at all (don't know what intamin thought when they designed them ><). But the lapbar rarely touches my legs anyway since I'm "freakishly tall" (1,85m) and when the otsr is pushed down and reaches my shoulders there is still some rome left between lapbar and legs. And the reason why people moan is because they get neck chopped. I haven't experienced it myself because the otsr presses against my shoulders but my friends have shown me some nasty bruises as a result of intamin otsr!