What's new

Cheetah Hunt- Intamin for Busch Gardens Tampa

costar

Mega Poster
You might like to know that no manufacturer ever HAS to provide over-the-shoulder restraints. They might choose to, due to braking forces or any number of reasons, but there is no design standard (certainly not the common US or European standards) that insists on OTSR's. Restraints are categorised in classes ranging from communal lapbars, manually operated, all the way up to individual, redundant and diverse locking restraints, interlocked with ride dispatch (i.e. ride can not be dispatched with restraint open). The shape of the restraint (over-the-shoulder or otherwise) is pretty much unregulated.

Xpress

Strata Poster
UC said:
Your body needs support when it's thrown in a direction....

...It's not rotational forces, I guarantee you that.

Seems like a contradicting statement- to me at least... :?

This is also where my argument comes from (technically it isn't MY argument, someone else who has been doing this ever since the early internet coaster enthusiast years said this to me). When a train maneuvers quickly enough, you need upper body support to keep your body from being whiplashed from side to side.

Also, if you think about it, KK's brakes are on a hill, whereas TTD's are on a flat brake, which means that on a technical standpoint, KK travels more distance going down the backside of a hill, than it would if it used flat brakes like TTD.

Take a flat line and extend the middle of it up, and it will have grown in physical length, even though the horizontal distance it has traveled has not changed.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Basically, the main reason Intamin uses OTSRs is because when you hit the brakes, you're thrown forward. For some people, the inertia may cause discomfort in their lower torso. The OTSRs eliminate this by catching you in your shoulders/chest area when the train hits the brakes. You can really feel it when you're riding an Intamin ride with OTSRs.

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
UC said:
Also, note the change that was given to Tower of Terror - the ride got OTSRs when they changed direction. Coincidence? No way. Your body needs support when it's thrown in a direction - and as a side note, if I recall correctly, it's designed the same as STE, correct? In which case, there is an emergency braking system of large, permanent magnets behind the station, in case of a power failure with the main braking system - which means they have to accommodate for the fact that a train full of people may come to a 90mph+ - 0mph stop in less than two seconds. You would kill someone with T-bars, facing backwards, with that.
It's not rotational forces, I guarantee you that.
It isn't that bad but ya that would hurt alot.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Oj6DYXrxs[/youtube]
its not 90-0 but more like 40-0

CMonster

Giga Poster
I love how the front of the train looks like a tribal cheetah mask or something... the slo-mo's of the train in that vid are just stunning.

Oh, and apparently... LAPBARS!!!!!

Although I can't tell from the vid. :lol:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Well the last of the videos released (the one that showed some off-ride) had OTSRs.

Well I think it looks great! I can't wait to see how it looks in real life.

Not so sure about the name though... Cheetah Hunt is cool, but I think I preferred Cheetaka (wherever that came from).

Ben

CF Legend
The name couldn't be any more retarded. The ride looks fun though it doesn't look as long as I thought it would... The layout plans made it look epic and massive...

And I doubt it'll have lapbars. It inverts AND it has "the brakes" that stop these things having lap bars...

jokerman

Giga Poster
I don't mind the name, but my biggest problem is that it doesn't fit with the way they've named the rest of their rides...

Casio

Mega Poster
Thanks UC, I understand now and won't ask again :--D

The name is poor, Cheetaka would be far better, and has no one noticed the fact they already have Cheetah Chase? Or did I completely miss the bit where they'll rename it?

CMonster

Giga Poster
Yeah, I'm REALLY hoping they'll rename one of them, it'll most likely be Cheetah Chase if any renaming is going on, but nothing's been announced.

I'm sure this new name will grow on me like Cheetaka did, as I remember not really liking that name at first.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
5 hours ago I wrote on Busch's post:

Looks awesome. A question though to Busch, when you say lapbars, do you mean the normal Over-Shoulder lapbars? (Like Maverick, Stealth, Kingda Ka and most modern Intamin rides)

And a while ago they posted on their wall:

For all you Fans who are asking about Cheetah Hunt's restraint system, the new ride will incorporate over-the-shoulder restraints similar to those found on many other IntaRide coasters such as Maverick and Kingda Ka. Thanks for asking!

Not that we didn't already guess, but it raps any lapbar ideas up.

CMonster

Giga Poster
Just saw it, that sucks. :(

Hopefully it's the new softer ones and not the harder ones I've heard so much about (not that I've experienced either lol).

And, yes, you did tell me so, but I got my quote from what the park actually posted, so I don't feel as dumb. :p

Snoo

The Legend
I guess they have a different opinion about what an 'OTSR' because before they said no.. now they say yes.

I think they forget that if something comes down over your shoulders in any way shape or form.. its a OTSR.