What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa | Falcon's Fury | Intamin Drop Tower

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: Busch Gardens Tampa | Drop Tower

That has nothing to do with creative teams, though.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

tomahawk

Strata Poster

It's a park themed to Africa, there aren't many things in Africa that involve plummeting to the ground at a fast rate, except birds of prey.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

gavin said:
^Doesn't Magic Mountain get much bigger crowds though? I haven't been to Busch Tampa, but in the many trip reports I've seen of the place, crowds never seem to be a factor.

My guess is Tampa outdraws MM by 1 mill, but BGT is open 365.

Outside of Tower of Terror, I have not met a drop tower with good capacity. If Fury can match Dr. Doom at 800 rph it will be a miracle.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Yeah, I actually just checked and last year BGT had over 4.3 million visitors compared to MM's 2.8 million. I guess if you spread the number out over the whole year though, and factor in that the summer must get horrendously busy, it makes sense to see the park very quiet outside of peak times.

As far as drop tower capacity goes, the gyro drops, at 40 people per cycle, are pretty good at eating through queues. I don't think I've actually ever waited more than 10 minutes to ride one of those, even on extremely busy days. I think it's probably a combination of a decent throughput and a huge intimidation factor that keeps a lot of people away in the first place though.

marc

CF Legend

The problem is BGT ride ops have never been that fast in any of my visits and the last time they were even worse.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I dunno if BGT is the same, but Williamsburg can be crowded to the brim and the B&M queues won't exceed 15 mins.

B&MintaminGCI

Roller Poster

I don't like the names they've been using for their rides lately.

Cheetah Hunt/Falcon's Fury.

Kumba would have been like "Lion Roar"

Sheikra would have been "Hawk Dive"

Cheetah Hunt should have been Cheetaka, it just sounds better.

Other than that, this looks amazing, and I would probably crap my pants on this.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster

Cheetaka is as awful as Cheetah Hunt. I'd have just gone with the basic "Cheetah"
Also, I don't believe 'ka' was every truly meant to be the rides name.

Ethan

Strata Poster

B&MintaminGCI said:

Other than that, this looks amazing, and I would probably crap my pants on this.

Well for a start, I think 'Kumba' just means 'Roar', which sounds a lot better. Also Sheikra just means 'Hawk'.
Their names are unusual but that's what makes it unique.

Besides, you're lucky not every coaster is called 'Roller coaster'.

Casio

Mega Poster

Ethan said:
B&MintaminGCI said:

Well for a start, I think 'Kumba' just means 'Roar', which sounds a lot better. Also Sheikra just means 'Hawk'.
Their names are unusual but that's what makes it unique.

Besides, you're lucky not every coaster is called 'Roller coaster'.

I think that's exactly his point; he's saying Kumba and SheiKra are great names, but if they were named in the style that Busch is using at the moment they'd be **** names, a la Cheetah Hunt

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Cheetah Hunt isn't a **** name? I can think of a lot worse names than Cheetah Hunt. Flight Deck, Full Throttle, Smiler, Scream and Coastrider just to name a few.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Nah, Cheetah Hunt is a terrible name. It's the unimaginative "lets describe the theme" nature. It doesn't flow as a name.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

As already stated, Kumba means roar, but it's Swahili. Sheikra is a play off of an African falcon. Montu is the Egyptian god of war. All these names fit the theme of the ride, but more importantly, they're creative.

Falcon's Fury sounds like it will be ace. The entire idea of facing down while dropping is fantastic. Honestly, I'm most looking forward to seeing the tilting mechanism.

Lottie.

Mega Poster

This drop tower is a great idea however I doubt I would have the guts to go on it lol! Not a huge fan of drop towers.

Lofty

CF Legend

Love it. I can't wait to head back to Florida next year!

michaellll

Mega Poster

I didn't take any pictures or anything unfortunately, but as I was riding Scorpion I noticed that ground is certainly being broken for this.

So glad to see that Timbuktu is getting some love.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

I really hope this opens for next year. I am not usually a fan of drop towers but hey? You have to try them all once don't you? Plus it looks so different to the norm.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

CanobieFan said:
Cheetaka is as awful as Cheetah Hunt. I'd have just gone with the basic "Cheetah"
Also, I don't believe 'ka' was every truly meant to be the rides name.

There is video of one of the BGT execs announcing the ride and they had to dub over what he said to call it Cheetah Hunt. I won't tell you Cheetaka was what it would have been called, but Cheetah Hunt was a LAST second audible.

I can't wait to see more ride specs for this thing. From the concept art it looks like it may be a 16 seat (4 on each side). I hope it can hold at least 24 riders.

bmac

Giga Poster

BGTFans had an update on Falcon's Fury a few days ago along with pictures.

Here's a picture of the pile driving as of the 25th.
IMG_9528-1024x767.jpg