What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa | Falcon's Fury | Intamin Drop Tower

Casio

Mega Poster
Re: Busch Gardens Tampa | Drop Tower

This looks great, 335ft is a mean height, but a ride with a vertical drop that's themed to a bird of prey? Really? Could they not have come up with anything more imaginative theme wise to contrast SheiKra? Still the concept looks amazing and this could easily be the scariest ride in the world.

Also, the ride in SFOG is called Acrophobia, which is a fear of heights, (ie. acrobats) whereas agoraphobia is generally a fear of open spaces.

tks

Strata Poster

That video was absolutely dreadful.

Here's to betting it's trimmed to buggery or the restraints are so restrictive you won't get any float out of your seat action.. I see no point in this.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

Joey said:
I heard about this concept a looooong time ago, by Intamin. It's weird that only now has someone bitten? I presume it tilts back out on it's way down. I bet the "face down' is only really when you're at the very top and for a very tiny portion of the actual dropping process.

The mechanic effect they show in that teaser video, looks similar to something I spotted on a laptop at Intamin's booth in Berlin last year.

I think it looks really neat, I love drop towers and this seems like an awesome innovation! - I've always wondered why the current tilt-towers only tilt a little and not all the way, but there we have it!

Ben

CF Legend

Awesome!

The one thing I thought BGT lacked was a ride where you drop vertically down at 90 degrees.

Wait a sec...

I'm kidding, this is totally different.

Nah, it does look awesome. Glad that something I used to draw in my school books is finally real <3

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Joey said:
I heard about this concept a looooong time ago, by Intamin. It's weird that only now has someone bitten.

I refuse to aid you in your continual rebellion against the English language by putting question marks on the end of non-questions - it's not just you; it seems to be a CF "thing" at the moment - but yes, I agree with you.

It looks cool, but it hasn't come as a total shock to be honest. I had no idea whether the concept was already out there, but it definitely seemed like a natural progression with drop towers. I also agree with tks in that, while it's something new and different, the actual drop experience may not be as good.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ You're probably right. I don't think the drop will be as good as normal drop towers as you won't get flung out of the seat?

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Forgive me if I am completely wrong, but surely it will feel rather similar to a dive machine, what with having Sheikra next to it surely thats abit of an odd choice...

tomahawk

Strata Poster

I love the concept, but I will probably never do it. Yet, thinking bout it during the day, I could honestly see myself enjoying it more than a normal drop tower. I'm thinking the sensation will be very similar to the beginning of X2's drop, but from a stand still. Fear of drop towers doesn't bode well for this.

Intamin curse will hit this hard though, calling it now.

marc

CF Legend

This will scare the **** out of me as I'm scared if heights.

With normal ones you can just look at the horizon etc with this there is no escape that your that high as you will be looking at the ground.

I get what your saying about the air time on normal drop towers, but I think this will actually scare people more.

Will give it a try the once probably.

metalhead7

Mega Poster

I kid you not, when I was like 11 or 12 I had this exact idea for a ride!!! I'll have to go back and try to find some pictures I drew of it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Acrophobia is my favorite drop tower, an absolutely fantastic experience.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FrwKgTUcIk[/youtube]

This will definitely be another cool experience, sharing the same tilting experience. I'll be interested though to see how the 90 degree riding angle will feel, versus the tilt of Intamin.

Hutch

Strata Poster

This looks great <3. The height is one thing, but facing down 90 degrees? That's awesome! :--D

Wildmouse695

Roller Poster

This looks fantastic.... My worry is that capacity could be bad.

LLDOD at SFMM has poor capacity but add on rotating seats time and there is even more waiting

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Doesn't Magic Mountain get much bigger crowds though? I haven't been to Busch Tampa, but in the many trip reports I've seen of the place, crowds never seem to be a factor.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Wildmouse695 said:
This looks fantastic.... My worry is that capacity could be bad.

LLDOD at SFMM has poor capacity but add on rotating seats time and there is even more waiting
Why would the rotating seats add time. Wouldn't they just rotate in the time spent going up.
Also, Lex Luthor only has 16 seats all up, so its a low capacity ride anyway.

Ben said:
The one thing I thought BGT lacked was a ride where you drop vertically down at 90 degrees.
They also get bonus points for also naming the ride after a Bird of Prey

"The name SheiKra is derived from the word "shikra", an Asian-African hawk that is known to dive vertically for its prey."

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

This is the second time they've made a theme ridiculously similar to an existing one.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2