What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa | Falcon's Fury | Intamin Drop Tower

bmac

Giga Poster
Re: Busch Gardens Tampa | Drop Tower

Martyn B said:
What on earth is going with it? It is just a drop tower after all. I presume they got their planning permission, so what's the wait all about?

That's what I haven't seen yet, the approval for the height clearance. Although there's no confirmation for the height of this ride, if it's been taking this long it should be a good guess that this thing will be >200 feet tall. They have to fight with the state and the FAA in order to get height clearances for their rides since there's an airport only a few miles away, I mean that's how they got Sheikra in there.

CoastersFL

Roller Poster

I would rather have a Giant Frisbee type ride instead of a Drop Tower. But maybe that's just me. ;)

bmac

Giga Poster

CoastersFL said:
I would rather have a Giant Frisbee type ride instead of a Drop Tower. But maybe that's just me. ;)

Giant Frisbee absolutely will not fit in the space where they're supposedly placing the Drop Tower.

Martyn B

CF Legend

They could do with both to be honest. The park seriously lacks anything interesting beyond the coasters.

bmac

Giga Poster

Martyn B said:
They could do with both to be honest. The park seriously lacks anything interesting beyond the coasters.

Both Busch Gardens kinda lack in the flat department, and it's not pushing the boundaries saying that both don't have the space for some larger flat rides.

nadroJ

CF Legend

I'm surprised Busch Tampa have never gone down the dark ride route, I think they'd be good at it.

I can't help but think if they added more flat rides the park might turn a bit Six Flags-ish though?

bmac

Giga Poster

nadroJ said:
I'm surprised Busch Tampa have never gone down the dark ride route, I think they'd be good at it.

Considering its sister park has Darkastle and SWO is adding one themed to penguins it's certainly possible that BGT could pull off a great dark ride. However the biggest disadvantage with dark rides (or fully enclosed rides in general) are that they're basically a gigantic, square, ugly building, which is why most parks prefer to park them off in corners where only one side is plainly visible. Examples would be Europe in the Air @ BGW, Harry Potter Land @ IoA, Pirates of the Caribbean @ MK, and Expedition Everest @ AK.

I can't help but think if they added more flat rides the park might turn a bit Six Flags-ish though?

If they just plop them where ever the hell they please and offer little themeing to them yeah it can turn a bit "Six Flags-ish." Considering how much themeing is already put into both BGT and BGW it'll take quite a few recklessly placed flat rides to actually ruin the ambiance of either park, and it'll take an amount on par with Cedar Point to actually get near Six Flags' level.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Well a dark ride would be good, especially with Florida's lovely summer storms, pretty much every ride closes. However, they got pull out a lot of stops considering it's got to compete with Orlando's dark rides and would probaly open next year around the same time as Harry Potter (which will win in popularity, hands down) and the Dwarfs Mine (if they speed up, we're looking at 2050).

Sea World's dark ride may be popular now, but that won't last for long. I just don't want Busch Gardens to get bad reveiws if there is a dark ride and it fails. So yes, I would like to see one however I see loads of negatives in my descion.

For a flat, do they still make S&S Swings? That would be cool.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

Falcon's Fury!

335 ft. tall drop tower with a 90 degree tilt effect!

http://falconsfury.com/Parks/BuschGarde ... lcons-Fury

998322_10151683150523566_838511830_n.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4uKOsogphs&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Ethan

Strata Poster

I never thought a drop tower would be enjoyable on your stomach.

Anyway it's fantastic to see an actual flat ride at Busch Gardens though! Hopefully it'll be better than Mach Tower.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Yes! I LOVED Agrophobias (Agoraphobia? The one at SFoG) tilt a lot. This just makes me want to get down there even more now.

<3

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I heard about this concept a looooong time ago, by Intamin. It's weird that only now has someone bitten? I presume it tilts back out on it's way down. I bet the "face down' is only really when you're at the very top and for a very tiny portion of the actual dropping process.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Im pretty sure if you brake it right, it will stay facing the ground the entire time.

Georgias drop tower stays titled out (granted it is only just slightly).