What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

It goes into the trees behind the bogs, I don't think any of this area has "special protection".

If they use the top of the hill (where the cars used to be then the BH queueline) down to Enterprise and across into the light woods (taking out the toilets), then the area is roughly Nemesis sized (somebody on TTF did an overlay). There's a "tail" that comes out from the edge of Enterprise across to the Oblivion entrance - if that makes sense. It's not a huge area in all honesty, there are the trees to clear and the land is massively varied from one area to the next - though they could use that for terrain hugging.

The biggest issue is winding the queue into the track. It was easy with Nemesis and worked well, I don't know if this will be quite the same.

Very up in the air to be honest.

I just hate the idea that they'd be building this huge B&M just next to Oblivion. Oblivion's simplicity is fine because it's the only thing there, it's the only thing you can see when you're in that area. Add in a huge B&M next to it... And that'll all be lost. I don't like it <//3

This says something with a lift hill that does not need a lot of space to me, It's already been proved on TT that the area is not massive, however is almost as big as nemesis. I think they will fit a great ride here, just have to wait and see, not be waiting too long for the plans either.

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

They cannot dig the same size as nemesis due to Oblivion though, so yes it might be the same size but it is sort of boxed in a bit.

Is it possible that the rumour of Spinball being relocated could come into play here?

I think he means they'd move Spinball over by Air like the rumours suggested, and then this cred would go there as well.

But, then that'd be HUGE. So I dunno.

^ Yeah, that's what I was getting at.

I mean, hell, the area would be massive, but didn't the original rumours point towards this being similar to Cheeta Hunt? I dunno...

Yeah, I could see it sort of, having some hills/launch, doing some sort of weird twisty stuff where Spinball is, and then heading back.

Or vice versa.

I reckon possibly the worlds first launched B&M. Think about it, 2012, above 300FT, 2013 first in house launch system? I know hulk is there but the launch was premier, alton would get a worlds first title and they get to try out launchers.

^I think in terms of milestones for B&M. I still don't buy it though, I can't see them being able to market it on a manufactures record like that, I don't think the public awareness of the manufacturers is high enough. It'd just be another launch coaster.

B&M won't build a launch coaster, unless they go back on their word.

Plus people would never accept that as a worlds 1st, yes The Hulk was in house but it's still a launched B&M in the view of loads.

For 300ft Alton would need to dig about 150ft below.

Yeah, and they've only said they wouldn't do a launch until the technology is stable. And it's fairly stable now.

Of course if asked, b&m would build a launch coaster, same as people saying they will never go to 300ft; they have.
And the sonic spinball re-location has already been ruled out as possible, the plans don't state relocation of existing ride, it says construction of new rollercoaster.

No B&M won't.

They were asked by Universal and were told no.

They were asked by Thorpe and told no.

B&M believe a lift hill adds to the experience and will not build a launch.

And as said a launched B&M is not a world 1st.

Re: New

marc said:
No B&M won't.

They were asked by Universal and were told no.

They were asked by Thorpe and told no.

B&M believe a lift hill adds to the experience and will not build a launch.

And as said a launched B&M is not a world 1st.

These were years ago though, and they said they didn't feel the technology was stable enough to.

They also weren't gonna put a loop on a Flyer or go over 300ft.

And a launched B&M is as much a World's First as Air was. Also, "launched B&M" could be a launched wing coaster. Which would rule.

Joey, nowhere really. Wishful thinking. And I guess the fact Thorpe are getting Swarm helps, things do have a habit of popping up in paris/groups in this chain. But, other than the fact that they (followed by Intamin) are the most likely to build a big, thrilling world's first for Alton going off history, it's all guessing at this point.

I'm not saying it will be a launched B&M at ALL, but, it's one of the many possibilities that can't be totally dismissed at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.