What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

It's also not tri-track on Thirteen.

I hope this is a Vekoma to see this thread go into volcanic eruption mode :lol:

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

I hope it's the worlds 1st launched Apple Coaster :)

^iSpeed would beat you there, my friend. :p

I still have some faith in "first entirely underground coaster" or something like that. Though, doubt has been sneaking up seeing as the 2012 ride is also set underground.

^That's been done though (Comet Express at Lotte World). It was never advertised as such though, and nobody really knows about it, so I suppose Alton could do what they did with Air.

Then again, you've got Raptor Attack at Lightwater. Ok, so it's not really underground exactly, but it's sold as that and feels like that.

Either way, Alton can't really get away with the whole "underground" thing as a world's first, when, to all intents and purposes, it wouldn't be the first one even in the UK.

The other thing is, how do you go about making an underground coaster without it just looking like you've put a roof over a hole? I know Oblivion goes a long way underground, but that's only one section, we're talking about a full coaster here. I highly doubt they'd go to the trouble of digging a big tunnel network and building underground when they could just fake a roof. Surely they wouldn't be able to get away with that either.

It's a nice idea, but I really don't think Alton would do it.

Worlds first underground inversion? Could be done easier than a fully underground one and it would be, to my knowledge, a worlds first.

^AND... it'd be ****. ;)

I've heard that they're going to relocate Rita to that area, bury it, tunnel to Thorpe Park and then attach it to the end of Stealth; just the way it was always meant to be ;)

I still don't think the area is very big. Anyone want to dig up a Google maps comparison between the size of this area, Nemesis, Air and The Swarm (maybe Raptor too)? That way we can garner some idea of the possibility of them jamming a B&M with queue into the area.

Personally, I think it's a very small, very tight space and unless they're very creative (like with Nemesis), we're going to see a smaller manufacturer (smaller, tighter layout) and probably a launch (unless they use the natural hill to hold the lift hill, which will give them between 50' and 130' or so depending on what they think they've getaway with on the planning front).

^ or a vertical lift hill+drop, but that wouldn't make much sense with Oblivion and X Sector.

Also, I can't see them building underground. Silly question maybe, but would that even be safe? With Oblivion's vast excavation, you'd think that any more digging would make the ground cave in.

^Oblivion's tunnel is concrete, they didn't just dig a hole in the soil and slot a coaster into it.

Possibly a zerier even, they seem to be getting bigger and better work with legoland and BGW on the cards. And an underground inversion would be dreadful I know, but so is Thirteens drop. They still did that.

Well I sort of took people's word saying that the site is almost a sbig as Nemesis as gospel, but after looking on Google Earth/Maps last night and doing a rough comparison, I think it's only about 60% or 70% of the size of the Nemesis site.

I think people's skeptisism is somewhat justified now, the area is very small. I think we can certainly rule out B&M.

Tom G said:
I think people's skeptisism is somewhat justified now, the area is very small. I think we can certainly rule out B&M.

Not always. Look at Dæmonen. They managed to make that have a tight footprint.

And another thing, with zerier you get a lot more ride for your money, on a smaller footprint. S&S too, they could do it on a tiny footprint. Intamin isn't as good as either of those companies at working on a footprint such as this one, nor B&M, but we cant rule anything out yet.

^ An S&S coaster would last a week.

Uncle Arly said:
Tom G said:

Not always. Look at Dæmonen. They managed to make that have a tight footprint.

That's very true, but Daemonen is also very ****. So hopefully it won't be something similar.

I haven't ridden it myself, so can't comment on that. But they could do it.

Ethan said:
^Oblivion's tunnel is concrete, they didn't just dig a hole in the soil and slot a coaster into it.

Er, I may not know a lot about engineering and building, but obviously any hole in the ground is going to be backed up with reinforced concrete. What a thoroughly stupid comment!!

:roll:

You can see the frigging concrete in the tunnel. We really wont be able to guess the manufacturer at all. It could be anyone, even vekoma or the Arrow section of S&S may revise a 4D for this footprint, VERY unlikely but we cannot discount it. What about a 'worlds first' inversion on an Intamin megalooper. Again, unlikely but it could. Intamin blitz coaster could happen as well. B&M launched 4D, S&S Arrow launched 4D, both worlds firsts, heck, Intamin could even revive their wing concept with a 4D launcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.