What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Ian Crabbe was quoted saying that it will be "The only one of its kind in the world" in the article that was linked in the first post.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/PA ... story.html

I believe that's the only confirmation we have had though.

To be honest I would rather they just went for a good solid coaster than another Worlds first title.

Re: New

spicy said:
To be honest I would rather they just went for a good solid coaster than another Worlds first title.

Agreed, the whole 'worlds first' link with Alton is getting a bit tired now. Just stick to the secret weapon idea and give us a good coaster.

Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

We are going to be working extremely hard to make sure this ride is the only one of its kind in the world.

So it doesn't have to be a world's first at all. It could be the only Eurofighter with B&M trains. It's pretty vague, so I wouldn't be looking for anything we haven't seen at all before, but maybe something that we already have; just in a way we've never seen.

Tbh, i think this will be some kind of Euro fighter concept, it will fit in the area and the lifthill does not take up a lot of room.

Re: New

Uncle Arly said:
spicy said:

Agreed, the whole 'worlds first' link with Alton is getting a bit tired now. Just stick to the secret weapon idea and give us a good coaster.

But you're missing the point. The whole "Secret Weapon" idea IS about new technology! Remember Nemesis was one of the first ever B&M inverts, it was the second non-batman layout. And it was even marketed as "Europes First", they'd started work on it the day batman opened, maybe even earlier. Then you have Oblivion, another first (worlds first infact), then Air..worlds first and then finally Thirteen HEAVILY marketed as being a worlds first.

You can't just say you want a "secret weapon ride" without it being some form of new technology! Alton Towers has anyways strived to try something new. Yes even I would like something like..say a mega-lite or something we'd see over the pond.. but at the same time I think enthusiasts give AT a hard time for something they should be praised for.

Not true though, as the first two/three secret weapons were current technology. What makes a secret weapon is that it does something "special" that is worth shrouding in mystery.

It's just coincidence really that three have also had a "world's first" bit. It may be that this is what it's come to mean over time, but it's not what the original title/s meant.

It will probably be an existing coaster concept with a worlds first element involved in it.
Just like Thirteen, a family mine train coaster, which had been done before, with a worlds first drop element in it making the worlds first part.

furie said:
Not true though, as the first two/three secret weapons were current technology. What makes a secret weapon is that it does something "special" that is worth shrouding in mystery.

It's just coincidence really that three have also had a "world's first" bit. It may be that this is what it's come to mean over time, but it's not what the original title/s meant.

I always assumed the first two were new technology too. Didn't John Wardley state that they went to ride a prototype in the arrow factory before deciding against the design. Wouldn't they ride an exsisting ride if it was already about? I dunno.

But even though SW3 (Nemesis) wasn't a world first, it was definitely something new to the market at the time. And a first for Europe.

Cheers Furie.

Strange plot, I want to say it looks like quite a big plot of land (and for the X Sector it is) and I can almost picture a longer-than-expected ride doubling back on itself several times, mega lite perhaps? Although given the area I worry it'll be a let down unless the Ropers move on and restrictions are relaxed...

Even a mega lite would be too big for here, I reckon some form of mega looper from Intamin/B&M, their first UK sit down perhaps, or an x car, and nobody say it would be s*** because I know, just sayin.

A custom Mega Lite with those sort of restrictions would just be a better Th13teen. No thanks.

Also true, thirteen is pretty much a rubbish hypercoaster with a frog hopper at the end. I hope it is something much better. If its another random youll never guess what comes next!! Oh wait, its an office chair hydraulic, I will be very disappointed.

bob_3_ said:
Uncle Arly said:
spicy said:

But you're missing the point. The whole "Secret Weapon" idea IS about new technology! Remember Nemesis was one of the first ever B&M inverts, it was the second non-batman layout. And it was even marketed as "Europes First", they'd started work on it the day batman opened, maybe even earlier. Then you have Oblivion, another first (worlds first infact), then Air..worlds first and then finally Thirteen HEAVILY marketed as being a worlds first.

You can't just say you want a "secret weapon ride" without it being some form of new technology! Alton Towers has anyways strived to try something new. Yes even I would like something like..say a mega-lite or something we'd see over the pond.. but at the same time I think enthusiasts give AT a hard time for something they should be praised for.

The Secret Weapon title comes from the theme of SW1 and SW2 which were planned to be themed around a secret military facility (the Arrow pipeline coaster) and the name just stuck.

As Furie said its just a coincidence that three have been worlds first.

Loads of people have done beyond-vertical drops but something I've thought for a while now. What about beyond-vertical uphill bits?

Hasn't been done before and could be quite fun to ride.

Thekingin64 said:
Loads of people have done beyond-vertical drops but something I've thought for a while now. What about beyond-vertical uphill bits?

Hasn't been done before and could be quite fun to ride.
"FUN" are you kiding me that would be terrible. :shock:

^So are beyond vertical drops if youre saying that, and you are saying loops are awful I assume? Its how it is engineered. A beyond vertical climb by say Intamin would be airtime rich and nice, one by a chinese knockoff manufacturer, not so. A B&M corkscrew, for example, is a lovely smooth peice of engineering, however one by Arrow is one of the most disgusting and painful experiences I have ever had. All about its engineering.

Vertical climbs would be mostly painful, unless controlled to an extreme degree.

If you take the "chain lift" approach, you'll get a massive amount of hang time with the ensuing blood-to-the-head issues. You'd also need rollback systems (no, not anti-rollback systems) to send the train back down in case of a power failure.

If you launch it into an over-vertical ascent, you'd get some nasty negative G's when you flip rightside up again. A solution would be to launch into over-vertical, then haul the train over the top nice and slow, but then you'd just have both a chain and a launch system to look for, for little gain other than a gimmick.
Besides, for this to work, your coaster would have to be as tall as a small Eurofighter. The transitions couldn't be tighter due to the forces involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.