What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

I was thinking more of a lifthill but it could be any hill.

Something Ive thought about for a while, maure sohne is offering a non inverting spinner loop. Worlds first, compact, Alton allready have one I know, but CW has Behemoth, and now Leviathan. Just a thought.

Alton might be stupid (looks at Thirteen), but they're not Canada's Wonderland stupid. ;)

We now have a decision date, the planning application will either be accepted or declined February 12th.

Pokemaniac said:
Vertical climbs would be mostly painful, unless controlled to an extreme degree.

If you take the "chain lift" approach, you'll get a massive amount of hang time with the ensuing blood-to-the-head issues. You'd also need rollback systems (no, not anti-rollback systems) to send the train back down in case of a power failure..

So you mean G Force at Drayton Manor?

bob_3_ said:
furie said:
Not true though, as the first two/three secret weapons were current technology. What makes a secret weapon is that it does something "special" that is worth shrouding in mystery.

It's just coincidence really that three have also had a "world's first" bit. It may be that this is what it's come to mean over time, but it's not what the original title/s meant.

I always assumed the first two were new technology too. Didn't John Wardley state that they went to ride a prototype in the arrow factory before deciding against the design. Wouldn't they ride an exsisting ride if it was already about? I dunno.

But even though SW3 (Nemesis) wasn't a world first, it was definitely something new to the market at the time. And a first for Europe.

Arrow had a pipeline coaster in prototype form as far back as 1989 (just as John joined Tussauds). The black track is the Arrow pipeline coaster track:
40c18ot9f5lea1ats01i00.jpg

However, Togo was already well in with Pipeline coasters.

Wasn't the second SW the Schwartzkopf one? Or was it the first one? I can't remember. That was a duelling lift hill coaster and looked fantastic.

Both are the same as Nemesis. They're ride types that already existed, but the designs made them something extra special. For the Arrow Pipeline, it was meant to be tunnelled into the ground, with the Schwartzkopf it was a massive version of their mine-trains with this unique duelling lift hill thing.

At the start it was absolutely the specialness that made something a SW. I do think it's evolved over the years to mean "world's first", as that's the easiest way to get something special. However, I don't think it will be adhered to still. Now it's just used as a way of getting enthusiasts excited ;)

Well I think maglev rollercoasters are due soon, so....? :lol:

Nah, it's one of these babies:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqmdv5iyIOY[/youtube]*

Where did all this talk of vertical lifts come from by the way? Did you mean vertical, but the car stays horizontal? Otherwise, there are three examples of vertical lifts in the UK already, Intamin has at least one and the UK already has (as Sue pointed out) G-Force which is a beyond vertical.

*Yes, I know it's a hoax.

It has a Norwegian Loop! I think.

You think this could be something along the lines of Takabisha?

This might actually be awesome!

Not if it is a Norwegian loop - has to be Intamin

A squished up Fahrenheit?

Mysterious Sue said:
Not if it is a Norwegian loop - has to be Intamin

A squished up Fahrenheit?
Firstly I didn't know Intamin had the rights for the Norwegian Loop, but secondly I did say "like" Takabisha. I was meaning the more compact, multi-inversion launched coaster.

Fahrenheit Jr works for me too! :p

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Well I don't think anyone was quite expecting a layout of this size.

Anyone have an idea of what ride type this is? Are we looking at an Intamin Blitz e.g Maverick style??

Having looked closer I think it may be a launched Maurer Sohne X-car e.g Shock at Rainbow Magicland.

Fairy snuff
Still I've my fingers crossed it's not Intamin eurgh :(
What's going on to the left? Cobra roll and...?

If you look closely, I don't think that is a Norwegian loop. By the looks of it, it's kind of two "Dive Loops" in a row, rather than A Dive Loop followed by an Imelmann.

It does look like Takabisha in style, to me. Either that, or an X-Car type coaster.

Edit:

Now that you take close inspection on the design of the track on the plans, it does kind of look Either Square based (B&M) or Maurer's cylinder based.

God knows what the other thing is, can't seem to work it out from that aerial plan. It looks funky though! :D

Looking at those pictures Mushroom posted, it looks like two cobra rolls! Not sure though.
Whatever it is, it's v. exciting.

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

How does Shock at Rainbow Magicland ride?

If it rides well I think we are onto a real winner with this layout, really impressive and completely different to anything currently at Alton.

Status
Not open for further replies.