What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

I'm not going to worry about what it is too much cause that isn't getting approved.

Why are coasterforce saying on the twitter and facebook feeds that the coaster is going to be 195 meters tall??

They look very tasty. And on the very slim chance they get approved, I will be avoiding this topic until it comes to March 2013.

But it screams of the "it just can't be done" craziness of Alton Towers of old :) .

^^The Facebook says 195ft. Not looked the Tweet. ;)

Ben said:
I'm not going to worry about what it is too much cause that isn't getting approved.
As much as I agree in part with this, two things are making me think otherwise:
1. Alton wouldn't submit plans that they didn't truly think would get approved. I suspect this means this ride isn't going to make as much of an impact as it looks like it will. It costs a lot of money to get plans like this made, they wouldn't just do it to see if they can get away with it.
2. The other option is this is a decoy and they are going to take the financial hit that submitting these plans will cause, just to make sure we're all looking in the other direction while they get something passed for the other side of the park. Now I haven't looked, and I don't intend to, at the rest of the planning office documents to see if there is a second proposal from Alton in there, but they might...

I think this will get passed, I don't think Alton would spend all the money if they didn't have a pretty good idea that it was going to get approved. I guess only time will tell! :D

-lofty- said:
I still only see 8. The other "elements" are simply drops, turns, sashays, etc.
Sadly, RCDB doesn't have an entry for the 'sashay element'. Shame...

Er coasterofrce, Long time no post but: I think it should be changed to 19.5m instead of 195m/ft because both would be wrong! :)

Looks good, this new coaster.. reminds me of that one with the outside cobra-roll weird inversion.

Thing is, that track style is also now used by Intamin. The only thing that makes me really think it isn't Intamin is that many of the inversions don't look very Intaminy shaped. Gerst could have changed their track too for all we know.

Where are people suspecting there may be a launch? On the straight bit between the whatever and cobra roll? Coud be. :O

I really hope it's not Gerstlaur based on my experience, but also the new trains might have fixed what I loath about their inability to turn.

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Ben I thought the same thing tbh, not a hope in hell.

For me this is just to say we were going to build this but cannot for this reason.

Same really, I do hope im wrong but I just cannot see it.

I recon it's Intamin anyway they already do most of them things. How is it a worlds 1st though or have I missed something?

This is what Mushroom tried to post earlier and the link didn't work. The section on noise compares the new ride directly to Saw - a similar ride at Thorpe:

http://tinyurl.com/772lbnh

(thanks Nic for pointing me in the right direction)

If it's a Gerstlauer I'll be right royally pissed off!! Kinda hoping it isn't allowed now...

That vertical part is clearly a lift. Not a drop. And even if it was a drop, it's not "beyond vertical" which is why the thing Mushroom found regarding sound comparison is weird.

I have new logic to suggest it's Intamin... capacity.

If it's new style Gerst, that's only 6 seats per car... Even if it's old style, 8 seats per car. Doesn't that mean there can only be a maximum of 16 people on ride at any one time if it's Gerst... And it's a damn long ride.

That makes no sense for Alton.

They added a second lift to Thirteen for capacity sake alone, the original plan had no second lift. That's probably why this has that vertical lift. Space saving and more exciting alternative to a block brake.

If it's Intamin, and has trains like Farenheit (which is the closest thing to this ride I can think of, regardless of manufacturer), it could have 24 people on ride at any one time. That's a lot better than 16.

My bet is Intamin.

The sound comparison is interesting and it's a really valid piece of evidence, but something tells me it ain't Gerst.

I saw the plans just as I went off, hence why I quickly posted them. Just ot in, and now been able to take them in fully.

Woah.

Is it just me, or is there NO SHIPPING CONTAINER on the plans?! Merlin, Y U NO SAVE MO MONEYZ?!

Seriously. Was NOT expecting THAT from Alton.

Re: New

marc said:
How is it a worlds 1st though or have I missed something?

It's not, hence why I was pushing the point yesterday that it didn't need it to be to be a secret weapon ;)

Joey, the ride has at least two lifts, so including lifts, station and possibly another block, you could have what? Four cars on track at once?

Wasn't Saw used in the Thirteen planning docs too for noise? So that doesn't really actually give us much to go on.

I can't see the plans well, but is there supposed to be a section indoors with this ride?

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

They compared Thirteen to X: No way out for noise comparison in the plans so it has no connection to coaster type at all.

Now my computer is fine, so I see a building. But as stated on the previous page, I also think this will be a maurer sohne x-car, possibly there floorless type. The lift hill structure shows resemblance to maurer sohne, but that's just my opinion.

I know it could be ballbags, but...

The Noise Report said:
Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located at Thorpe Park. The Thorpe Park ride, “Saw” is the same type and manufacturer as the proposed ride, including a “beyond vertical” drop.

Therefore, as much as it pains me, I think we have to assume this is a Eurofighter. I'm going for a Takabisha style Drop & Launch type thing.

Whatever it is, this thing looks mental. Hope it's not too rough though, and I'm struggling to see how they're going to get enough throughput. Could be interesting though. Plus, whatever the hell it is, they could put up a giant turd and we'd all be queueing up for 5 hours to ride it on opening day.

Did the park manager bloke definitely say "World's First" last year? I'm pretty sure he did, but I can't remember. Can anyone confirm please?

Re: New

furie said:
marc said:
How is it a worlds 1st though or have I missed something?

It's not, hence why I was pushing the point yesterday that it didn't need it to be to be a secret weapon ;)

Joey, the ride has at least two lifts, so including lifts, station and possibly another block, you could have what? Four cars on track at once?

Wasn't Saw used in the Thirteen planning docs too for noise? So that doesn't really actually give us much to go on.
I thought they actually told us it would be a world's first?

I meant kinda like, people actually riding it. But still, you get my point, 4 cars of 8 people is so, so, so, so little. If it is Gerstlaur, it must have more seating (new train worlds first element? :p jk), which is why I believe it's MS or more likely Intamin. Max with Gerstlaur would be, what, 32? Max with Intamin.... 48?

And your point about Thirteen needs to be bold so people pay attention to it.

And in response to Nic...

That vertical part is clearly a lift. Not a drop. And even if it was a drop, it's not "beyond vertical" which is why the thing Mushroom found regarding sound comparison is weird.

It makes no sense because it claims this ride is the same type, manufacturer AND has a beyond vertical drop when it does not. Doesn't mean it's all wrong, but it certainly makes me wary.

Verrry interesting.

Big mess of track and inversions with...various indoor theming bits? I wonder what that big cube in the middle would be.

I'm actually impressed with Alton on this one. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, because I have a feeling it's not going to get approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.