What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

That compact, I'd say it's either a MS Launch or Gerstlauer launched. Remember, this site is roughly the same size as the Nemesis site so it's a very compact and tight layout - the kind of thing MS and Gerstlauer excel in. Intamin just doesn't fit the bill.

Oooh, I also count at least 11 inversions and possibly a second launch [/excite]

Re: New

spicy said:
How does Shock at Rainbow Magicland ride?
Pretty damn well in the front. Graceful but with a good kick to it, and some airtime too.
I'd be happy enough with an x-car on that layout :D

This might help:

qzrzew.png

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/upload/PublicAccess/imposedimage4 (37863).JPG

What the **** is that vertical lift?!?!

Edit:

It's not a launch, both are lifts. By the look of it anyway!

Another one:

33p7edc.png

This looks mad. :D

**** me that thing's high. I think they're going to struggle getting planning through. Two points it's almost as high as the top of Oblivion, including over the Black Hole tent (looks like a big ass inversion, not a second launch - my bad).

That's really, really noticeable from across the valley. Oblivion has set precedent though so they may get away with it, but Oblivion may not be the best example of "neighbour friendly".

Fingers crossed...

Lofty... Maybe that puts Intamin back on the cards, it's a very Intamin looking vertical lift, but I still think it's a bit too tight for the standard Intamin trains (X-Car or Eurofighter trains would work best). However, you can never say never :)

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Didn't see that vertical lift, was hoping for launches.

Still it's got a batwing, 2 corkscrews, a cobra roll and a Norwegian loop!

That looks crazy!

I'd hope that Alton are still seeing capacity as an important factor and have come up with someway of keeping it high - it'll be hell with 8 seater gestlauer trains or 6/12 seater X-Cars!

Re: New

spicy said:
I think this has three launches and 8 inversions.

Layout from what I can see is:
Launch- overbank- Norwegian loop- Batwing- launch- overbank- corkscrew- corkscrew- launch- cobra roll- small airtime hill- overbank- break run.

Awesome.

That's what I thought from the overhead view, but the overlays look different. However, the batwing and cobra roll will be classed as two inversions each.

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

^ Yeah I edited my post when I saw Lofty's post.

Shame as I liked my layout :lol:

Mushroom, that image is anti-colourblind :lol: I can't see the coaster for the trees! ;)

furie said:
Lofty... Maybe that puts Intamin back on the cards, it's a very Intamin looking vertical lift, but I still think it's a bit too tight for the standard Intamin trains (X-Car or Eurofighter trains would work best). However, you can never say never :)

True. True. It's actually pretty exciting, I hope they can get the permission.

Mushroom said:
Here is another image from the plans which is easier to look at!

373951_294577660592619_115614131822307_937465_870567740_n.jpg

Note the box which will be the station probably

Just read this: http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... %20(SIGNED)%20(37852).PDF

Saying the similar ride is Saw: The Ride.

You will know what company is involved =]

I would if your link worked ;)

Also, it's definitely not a Norwegian loop. The Side Elevations have shown us that!

I agree with lofty now, I don't think it's a Norwegian loop any more. I think it's two dive loops. :D

It's going right up over the top of the toilets. That's fantastic! I hope they can get this, probably the most exciting development to a park in the UK for a long, long time. It's not huge, but there's so much going on in the layout it's incredible.

So we're looking at what (please feel free to edit)?
1. Overbank
2. Dive Loop
3. Dive Loop
4. Batwing in
5. Batwing out
6. Corkscrew/Overbank?
7. Overbank
8. Dive loop/ Corkscrew thing 1
9. Dive loop/ Corkscrew thing 2
10. Cobra Roll in
11. Cobra Roll out
12. Corkscrew?

I think there may be a zero G on that high point too (the long straight section after the Bat Wing, but not sure.

So including over banks, 12+ inversions? Maybe 13 at least, hey, that gives me an idea for a name! ;)

Maybe they will do what they did with Saw and have a secret inside the building making a total of 14 inversions. That will put a few bums into the coaster seats (and maybe a few turds in their pants)

Mushroom said:
I would like to see something done with the black hole tent, around that area. Surely that area is a decent size to fit a major coaster. Saves them cutting down more trees and it they will be able to make money on the scrap value of the old tent. Maybe something with Gerstlauer might be good, cheap but sometimes pack a punch like Anubis at Plopsa. Looking at Fluch, that was just sheer awesome =D

And this is how to play the "I know something you don't know game" :angel:

blivvies biggest fan said:
^Its a worlds first though that will cost in excess of £15 million. How would a gerstlaur do that unless it was completely encased in platinum?

Because Mushroom is modest and not smug, I'll say it... "he told you so!" :p

Mysterious Sue said:
Pokemaniac said:
Vertical climbs would be mostly painful, unless controlled to an extreme degree.

If you take the "chain lift" approach, you'll get a massive amount of hang time with the ensuing blood-to-the-head issues. You'd also need rollback systems (no, not anti-rollback systems) to send the train back down in case of a power failure..

So you mean G Force at Drayton Manor?

Ahh... no, I looked past that method entirely. I thought he meant "beyond vertical" as in "like the drop of a Eurofighter, in reverse". A stretch of beyond-verticalness, before going over the top into a dive down the other side of the lift structure, rather than the loopy solution. I see what you mean now.

Also, this coaster looks SPECTACULAR. A little like a beginner's dream for RCT or NoLimits, the sort of thing you make when you want to cram in as many inversions as possible on a small plot. The newbie enthusiast in me screams with joy.

And I can imagine the strategy for getting this past the Ropers. Show up on the doorstep, preferrably interrupting afternoon tea on a quiet day, then show them the plans, which will give both a heart attack/make them move away forever. Problem solved.

This is the way I see it:

furie said:
[strike]1. Overbank[/strike] By the looks of it, that's just the pre-drop to the bigger drop.
2. Dive Loop
3. Dive Loop
4. Batwing in
5. Batwing out
[strike]6. Corkscrew/Overbank?[/strike] : Same as before.
[strike]7. Overbank[/strike] : Same as before.
8. Dive loop/ Corkscrew thing 1
9. Dive loop/ Corkscrew thing 2
10. Cobra Roll in
11. Cobra Roll out
[strike]12. Corkscrew?[/strike] Just an air hill by the looks of the layouts and the way the spine curves.

I still only see 8. The other "elements" are simply drops, turns, sashays, etc.

Not the race is on for the first person to build the NL recreation :lol:

I think it looks like an MS Launch, but I'm by no means an expert.

I'm surprised, to say the least, but I also think it looks amazing.

Batwing? Oh my gawd. My favourite inversion.

Wow.

I don't think this is a Eurofighter like the main page states, I think its a Maurer X-Car.

Few reasons why:

1. Maurer do vertical lifts, HRRR.
2. The track type on the plans is X-car style track.
3. If it does have a launch, Maurer do those too (Shock RML)
4. This coaster features overbanks, almost identical to Shock's: http://www.rcdb.com/8852.htm?p=36693

5. Look at the lift hill in the plans

atcoaster1.JPG

Now look at HRRR's lift hill:

fv5hf9i1sd800b11e0t1g0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.