What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Wait, so that thing John Wardley said about Vekoma making it wasn't true, or has it not been confirmed as of yet?

Where did John say anything about Vekoma?

It wouldn't have surprised me if it was a Vekoma, but I also doubt it. I had a hunch for Intamin personally, but this whole X-Sector thing has thrown all my hunches out the window anyway and the whole Swarm logic does make some sense. I think it's more likely that the Thorpe 2012 and 2015 coasters will be a "pair" though, as the parks seem to be operating quite independently of each others choices. I've heard a few times that Thorpe hate Intamin, but Alton couldn't care less and put one in last year, and whilst many of us see Thirteen as a failure, Intamin did provide exactly what was asked for them without (too many) issues.

The only thing I think we can pretty much be sure of is that they will not be digging anywhere close to the scale they did with Oblivion or Nemesis.

Launched wing rider by B&M is a worlds first as much as air is. They can get away with it and the gp will likely accept it as one. B&M get to experiment with launches on a new concept, alton get a good ride and everyone is happy. In my head, this is happening. In the real world, Im dreaming i think. But nothing is sure yet.

As far as I can see, the by far most obvious "world's first" coaster concept left to claim would be launched wooden rollercoaster. It would fit with Alton's height restrictions as well, and be a marketable novelty in the UK, but I can imagine it being a little too noisy.

Though, if done on a small enough scale, it could work. Alton doesn't need it to plow through every protected plant, path and building within the park boundaries. And with a few strategically placed tunnels and extra fences, it could block out a large percentage of the noise as well. The technology is avaliable, affordable, and marketable. Could there be hope for the launched woodie we've always dreamed about?

Feel free to shoot me down if it isn't. I'm curious.

What about intamins woodies? Theyre relatively quiet? And a launched woodie has intamin plastered all over it.

^^That launched woodie kind of reminds me of the Woodie Invert: A pointless step backwards. It probably would have happened years ago when steels were only a bit better than wood, and launch coasters weren't very advanced. But now that launch coasters are so good, why make something that would be similar, but more bumpy and limited when planning?
I would love to see a woodie, but not a launch, unless it is a small one. How deep is the valley actually? Because if you make the lift go up to the height boundary, and then make the drop be the height of that plus the height of the valley, and hey presto, Worlds Tallest Woodie. And if you do have a little launch to help you get back up, then it would certainly be a worlds first.
There are probably a whole load of things wrong in my argument, so completely ignore me if you want.

^^ If you lifted it up from the valley why would you want it launched back up? Also the site is the old black hole, not the valley.

^Hmm, well I highly doubt there will be an type of woodie. Thank you for telling me. :)

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

They said it would be a true worlds 1st though so still recon no to launch.

Ben said:
And a launched B&M is as much a World's First as Air was. Also, "launched B&M" could be a launched wing coaster. Which would rule.

It wouldn't be a world first though, don't forget about Furius Baco.

I am not expecting too much from this, after Rita and Thirteen I refuse to get taken in by the hype of a new coaster at Towers but good luck to them.

Scott88 said:
Ben said:
And a launched B&M is as much a World's First as Air was. Also, "launched B&M" could be a launched wing coaster. Which would rule.

It wouldn't be a world first though, don't forget about Furius Baco.

Oh thanks Bicko.

I'm not thick, I know about Baco.

Air was a "World's first" in the same way, so they've obviously got NO problem with passing off a manufacturer's first as a World's first.

Ok I see your point and I wasn't suggesting you were thick, I thought you may have forgotten about Baco that is all.

I can't see them going with a launched wing rider but I guess at this stage anything is possible, whatever it is I hope it's an improvement on recent coasters they've added to their lineup.

The thing is, there's not much left you can call "world's first" at this point and not sound stupid.

First launched B&M? Try explaining that to the public. They would be about as amused as if you had given them world's first roller coaster built by Volvo. Hardly anybody apart from enthusiasts and industry insiders differentiate between manufacturers. To 99% of the world's population, a roller coaster is a roller coaster. Heck, most people don't even care if it's made of wood, steel, concrete or pizza.

World's first single-car coaster to feature three consecutive loops? The first purple coaster with a vertical drop? The first coaster with a drop angled at exact 86.322 degrees? The first coaster to be entirely underground?
Wait, that last one there didn't seem as stupid... never mind that it would probably be built above ground and then put a roof on, on top of which they plant a lawn or something. It would be nit-picking on the definition, concerning indoors coasters and all, but I think few people would care about that little detail.

*expanding on the idea*

Seeing that video, I could picture something along the lines of Jet Rescue, slapped into an artificial cave. Or rather, an artificial cave slapped on top of something along the lines of Jet Rescue. Noise problems would be limited. Marketability - quite high. Themeing - dead easy. Nobody tells the difference when it's all dark. It could even pull crowds while it's raining. And you could even build a kiddie area or whatever on top of it, to please the families.

EDIT: Realized that the video was about a 2012 ride, while the topic on hand is the 2013 coaster. Yay for posting at 1AM.

Worlds first wooden rollercoaster with an inline twist.

Book it.

The public don't care who makes them and Rita is just round the corner.

Whilst I think a launch is likely, they couldn't claim it as a world's first. This is why I didn't recon it would be B&M. That area of the park hadn't come into anyone's minds. All the rumours pointed to the Flume site or Forbidden Valley, either in the Air car park or where Ripsaw and Blade currently reside. My logic was that much of the space remaining has terribly low height to play with and there's no way they'd splash out on digging, so it pretty much had to be a launch to be a thrill coaster, and I because they already have a launch playing the "first B&M launch!" card would be retarded for all parties involved, so I had guessed it would be Intamin. Now that we have evidence it's going in X-Sector, all that kind of is thrown out the window, since clearly they can build a little taller there than most of the park. What I think is so odd is that no one had so much as a tingling that this space was being considered.

I am banking on a B&M still, reason being a simple asthetic touch, in the dark forest, for example, all coaster track is intamin track, and in forbidden valley, all is B&M, its just a thought that B&M track and intamin would clash a little. This can be discounted as nitpicking or stupid but something I just noticed that alton have done for a while.

It can be disregarded as stupid because it is.

What the track looks like won't have any effect on what coaster they have planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.