What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Rude... The application states buildings, be it show, queue or station I still think it will be indoor, to get past the complaints from the ropers, who will DEFINETLY have something to say and indoor could get round most of those problems.

What got up your arse uninvited AJ?

The guy's got a point, it WILL have to be quiet were it is.

Indoor is a very good suggestion.

Well that's what I'm saying...
If it's inside, the coaster itself won't have to be very quiet, because it's inside.... Thus the "it all depends on the location and environment" comment.

*shrug* I couldn't care less anyway <3

Still not 100% happy with the suggested location for this, it'll definitely steal Oblivion's thunder, which is well lame.

Thing with most coasters nowadays anyway is there's so much new technology available I'm sure they'll create some way of quietening the thing down, so maybe it's not THAT much of an issue where it goes?

nadroJ said:
Still not 100% happy with the suggested location for this, it'll definitely steal Oblivion's thunder, which is well lame.
Not necessarily. It depends on how it's located. If it's off to the side near the Black Hole tent, it shouldn't be a problem, as you'll still walk into X-Sector and be face to face with the rumble and the drop. If the ride intrudes into the space between the drop and the entrance to X-Sector, then yes, it'll be a problem.

blivvies biggest fan said:
But try explaining noise dampening techniques to the ropers...

Get over the Ropers? Do you think the park management sit there with a photo of the Ropers on the desk whilst they decide plans for new coasters and crap?

Pretty sure they'd rather please the GP and rake in the dollar, than keep 2 stupid old twats happy.

It's their silly complaints to the council, if it was my way, projects like this would have priority over complaints and those who make them exiled to a Bangladeshi slum, but as we all know, the council are full of do good pratts who actually take notice of these fun hating pricks, and that is the problems Alton will face, especially where it is located on property.

Lets try some common sense:

I think this is going to be SW7. I can't see Alton spending any more on a smaller family coaster when they've already invested in a retheme of The Flume and What Lies Beneath for 2012, and have put aside this supposed £15M for the big coaster in 2013.

With that in mind, why build a large coaster in an area with proven noise problems?
Answer: because they think they can make it quiet enough. Simples!
This could mean building it indoors, but I don't think it necessarily has to be. There is this 'filling the supports with sand' business and the like, and I'm sure there are other new technologies/coaster designs that could help to minimise noise.

Another common question in this topic seems to be 'if Alton are building a new indoor coaster, then why tear down Black Hole?' Well furie answered this pages back - Black Hole wasn't large enough to support a decent-sized design.

Also, are the Ropers that near to the Oblivion area? I thought there were further up by the main entrance? Not that it matters.

Not sure, I wont discount this as tosh just yet, I too think its 2013 but not sure about noise. I reckon this will be thirteen esque secret weapon. I hope Im pleasantly surprised...

I was pleasantly surprised by Thirteen. I think riding it a year after it had opened helped. All the hype had died down. It's not really intense, or doesn't have the most inspiring of layouts. But I love the station theming, and the drop.

So IF it does turn out to be something like Thirteen, (Which I can see happening, as I doubt they will want to construct something that is 'scarier' than Oblivion) then at least we can say x-sector finally got it's update.

nadroJ said:

Is that as relevant these days though? Is Oblivion still such a huge thing? I think for most people, it'll still be the first thing you see heading that way and still as imposing. I can't see the new ride being much "taller" than the Blackhole tent, otherwise they may hit planning issues. It's easy to replace a ride that is the same height or smaller than the current one there.

nadroJ said:
Thing with most coasters nowadays anyway is there's so much new technology available I'm sure they'll create some way of quietening the thing down, so maybe it's not THAT much of an issue where it goes?

I agree, and you also have to remember that if Oblivion running is say, 60 decibels, then as long as the new ride doesn't go over that level, then X-Sector wont be any noisier anyway. If it's completely enclosed, then it could be near completely sound proof. The Blackhole was exceptionally noisy, easily louder than Oblivion ever was. The tent did very little, but I don't think we're looking at a tent here are we, but a properly constructed building? So the louder bits happen inside and nobody really notices?

I'd always written off the Blackhole site as there was no way the tent would/could be reused for a new coaster, and the area is 'delicate'. By enclosing it in a solid structure, Alton easily get around that issue.

In terms of size though, the site is roughly the same size as the Nemesis site, but I think that it's not quite as big as it'll be harder to make a building and queue line, unless the queue interacts with the ride inside. Is it usual in indoor rides to have the queue separated? I guess Space Mountain is under the ride, so maybe?

As I said above, I can't see it being much higher (if higher at all) than the current tent, which is what? 50 or 60 foot tops? They've got some leeway though as Oblivion does tower over the site, I guess it depends on how confident they are about getting a much larger replacement through planning.

BTW, thanks Sue, glad that somebody reads this stuff :lol:

I still think the fact that prior to this there wasn't such a sniff of a rumour suggesting that location is a bit odd.

I think they have just learned from mistakes and kept things truly secret this time (or worked hard in an attempt to do so).

I go with the logic that this can be as tall as Oblivion given that that is already there.

But oblivion is on a hill, the area specified is down lower than oblivion, unless you mean height from the ground? Also, rita has a green section of track on its first hill to blend in with the trees. Thats how they got over the height issues, same with airs lift, which is very high above the ground.

I believe they could utilise that the maximum height of Oblivion by building the highest point of the new ride (lift hill/top hat/whatever( in that area and then have the lowest point of the ride at the level of the Black Hole base, or even lower if excavated. I think this is what they are planning to do, see the little sticky out bit on the new ride's plan area that extends to in front of Oblivion's drop.

By having an existing structure there of that height, they greatly increase their chances of getting planning permission accepted.

This height, combined with increased excavation around the Black Hole base, could still lead to a very fast and intense ride (providing it isn't a lumbering B&M of course).

I was hoping for a lumbering b&m, and it wouldnt lumber on that area if your explaination holds true, an intamin would 'lumber' as much as any other. But this isnt have a go at manufacurers, its sw7. It could be good it possibly not. Well have to see.

I still think the fact that prior to this there wasn't such a sniff of a rumour suggesting that location is a bit odd.

But then on the other hand, I find it odd that the X-Sector hasn't been touched for YEARS, yet they've been improving most other areas in the park.

Makes sense that they leave it for ages as something BIG is planned for it.

I cannot see how this can be big, I just looked at the park on Google and they are really boxed in by Oblivion.

There are trees around the area, are these protected or can they be removed.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Sorry the link does not work :(

Status
Not open for further replies.