What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

rollermonkey said:
furie said:
The plans show it coming out into X-Sector across the path over towards Oblivion's entrance. If that's part of "the new attraction" then it'll cut off (most) access to the two flat rides. It's all quite strange really...

Not if that's an elevated section of ride with path underneath...

But even then it would look tatty.

As run down and drab as X Sector is, there's no denying that the rides fit perfectly and the area looks well landscaped.

I am really quite worried about this project if I am honest.

If they do not dig down like they did before its not going to be very high.

Looking at the area its bigger than I thought, if they use it all that is. They could also gain space by removing the toilets and flat rides.

Will be interesting to see what they do, but I can see this being inside as well just to keep the noise down.

The planning applications now have details on them, this is defiantly SW7.

(the first document now says- Demolition of Existing Structures (inc. Black Hole) to facilitate new rollercoaster)

(Second document now says- Demolition of Existing Structures and Installation of New Rollercoaster, including associated ground works, buildings and landscaping)

ry1996 said:
The planning applications now have details on them, this is defiantly SW7.

(the first document now says- Demolition of Existing Structures (inc. Black Hole) to facilitate new rollercoaster)

(Second document now says- Demolition of Existing Structures and Installation of New Rollercoaster, including associated ground works, buildings and landscaping)

Hmmm, X-Sector really doesnt strike me as being the best place for SW7. Even if it's indoors, it's going to creat excess noise. But, if it is indoors, why demolish the tent, why not use that?

I don't know. I do have a feeling one or two of the flats will be going though. (hopes it will be Submission)

^No, I saw it, it's not that I don't believe it. I mean, if the planning permission gets granted, it IS happening. Just strikes me as odd that they would choose the place in the park that gets the most amount of stick from the locals.

Urgh, that would annoy for a couple of reasons.

A. That space is tiny, so, even though it's an SW, I'm not expecting greatness.

B. X Sector works really well because it's ALL about Oblivion. It's just focused purely around it, and its drop. Adding another casual huge World's first there would be ugly.

C. I think the Katanga Canyon idea was amazing. I'm a bit upset we're not getting a better Cheetah Chunt there tbh <//3

I agree. It's definitely not a big enough area to have a good, well themed focus on SW7 there. It'll take away fro Oblivion far too much I think. I think it'll end up being a RITA type affair.

This could be the setup for the eventual removal of Oblivion.
(cue the whining from the Blivvie fans)

If they put in a major attraction that isn't so loud/noisy in that area, and remove Oblivion, it might help quash the Ropers' complaining.
(Yeah, right.)

I doubt Oblivion is going anywhere anytime soon.

But, I'm not holding much hope for SW7 in X-Sector. Then again...could lead to a clean up of the area, and maybe a repaint of Blivvy? God knows it needs it!

Just a question. Did merlin say this attraction would be a thrill one, or a family one, because I have a feeling that this will be a robotic arm coaster. If I'm correct, previously it was said that vekoma would make SW7, which wasn't confirmed, but I remember seeing that vekoma produced a robotic arm coaster. That would be a suitable amount of space for one and wouldn't produce too much noise.

amec02g.jpg

A picture of what I am talking about. Taken from coastersandmore.com

^Locked into Universal for a few more years yet, this came up with the whole 13 thing.

From my understanding Universal have extended the agreement as well.

It was a 10 year deal which started in 2007 so that already took it to 2017.

I'm really surprised the next roller coaster is going where Black Hole was, given what we already know about the ride. They've claimed/implied it's a major no **** thrill ride with a worlds first element to it.

It seems like that area is tiny, and right on the edge of the park where they already have issues with noise. Unless the logic is Oblivion will cover any extra noise?

The application implies the removal of multiple structures. So what else is there?

Looking at google maps that area is a lot bigger than I thought, especially if they extend it to that... hospitality suite? Is that what it is?

Joey, you have thought the same as me.

They can remove the loos that tent thing and the flat rides and they actually have a big area, bigger than what they used for Nemesis and Air.

It just seems a silly place to put it and I can see them not getting it past anyway.

Oh dear, my B&M dreams have been shattered... Cue 13 style hyped up crap then a gerstlaur bobsled with an elevator lift 'worlds first'... Please dont ruin x sector Alton! Though, this means a refurb, if they do it right.

Joey said:
It seems like that area is tiny
Trust me it's not. The tent/area is MASSIVE. Those who went in the mazes at this years Scarefest would have seen how large the tent is as they went into it. It's pretty deceiving from the outside at how much space is there.

New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

That's if they use the tent though which they might not, we are just saying they might.

All the rumours floating about suggest the 2013 coaster is going near the Flume site, or in Forbidden Valley. Whilst rumours are just that, I find it odd that there was not a single whisper hinting to the Black Hole tent. And on top of that, the application states "roller coaster" - if you were trying to keep it a secret, surely you'd just state "ride"? Something about this whole thing seems a little odd to me, and I wont be surprised if this doesn't go anywhere or simply isn't for the 2013 thrill coaster. Maybe there's a smaller family coaster project in the works?

Ollie said:
Joey said:
It seems like that area is tiny
Trust me it's not. The tent/area is MASSIVE. Those who went in the mazes at this years Scarefest would have seen how large the tent is as they went into it. It's pretty deceiving from the outside at how much space is there.
The Black Hole tent area alone is not that large. It's certainly big and big enough for a coaster, but not a major thrill coaster to the scale of anything Alton have previously gone for, judging by google maps. But like I said, combined with other structures next to it, it's about right.

Well, it looks to me that if it isn't sw7 it's a replacement black hole, a Maurer sohne or gerstlaur spinner indoors, a prince of darkness 'test' facility?

Status
Not open for further replies.