What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

Anyone under the age of nine probably wouldn't view it the way we do. :p

Tom G said:
I still can't believe anyone over the age of nine fell for that poster anyway. The fact that a battle galleon was reportedly sailing in from landlocked Switzerland was a little joke. I still think they should put a replica galleon on the lake though, that would look quite cool.

So.........you mean an actual ship isn't sailing over, carrying the track for a new B&M with it? Gutted...
:roll:

I'd personally LOVE to see a re-theme of The Flume. The stupid ducks/Imperial Leather crap has no place there and it's the perfect ride to be Pirate themed. Especially if they added some substantial new themeing (like a galleon, as suggested above), it'd only serve to further enrich an already gorgeous (in my opinion) area of the park.

Does anybody know what space the park has available? Is there any space behind where Spinball now sits? They're cornered off Beastie for the time being, would make sense for that to be torn down to create a bit of space and for that whole area to have a bit of a facelift. Like has already been said, Spinball never gives the feel of a permanent attraction and it strikes me that it wouldn't be very problematic to dismantle and rebuild elsewhere (especially in comparison to the likes of Nemesis/Oblivion).

^ Wasn't there a rumour not so long ago suggesting that Spinball was to be relocated?

That plus Beastie being removed could lead to something...

^What's weird about Beastie is the fact that it's just been covered up, and it's still on RCDB as SBNO. Does anybody know if there are plans to remove it? I can't see Alton taking the effort to retheme such an old ride, I know it still managed to draw a small queue from younger thrill seekers but it's a bit of an old rust bucket now isn't it?

I'd love to see that area actually turned into something tasteful, rather than just a few rides plonked down on a bit of grass.

ry1996 said:
Nemesis Inferno said:
Refurb potentially equating to reTHEME??

*Actual question, I do not know if that is true or not, but hell, I said that when I read those rumour posters that a retheme was the most logical suggestion...

No. I said the boats were just having a Refurb not a whole ride Re theme.

This is why I said potentially, especially with the timing of the boat refurb linking conviently with the Imperial Leather contract running out... Granted Ice Age and WLB have been announced, but a rethemed ride could potentially be another addition...

And of course, who's to say there isn't a bit of truth in those news articles...

It was very difficult to interpret the poster, actually. You honestly could be forgiven for thinking that "sailing from Switzerland" was a cryptic code for an Intamin AquaTrax ride on the site of the flume. Unlikely, as we know that the 2013 ride will be a world's first.

AT have a way with words....it adds to their magic

nadroJ said:
Does anybody know what space the park has available? Is there any space behind where Spinball now sits? They're cornered off Beastie for the time being, would make sense for that to be torn down to create a bit of space and for that whole area to have a bit of a facelift. Like has already been said, Spinball never gives the feel of a permanent attraction and it strikes me that it wouldn't be very problematic to dismantle and rebuild elsewhere (especially in comparison to the likes of Nemesis/Oblivion).

The plans we saw a couple of years back suggested a lot of possible work over on the Air car park, with possibly moving Spinball there (as you say, it's a pretty easy to relocate ride). Gavin's also mentioned this and I think that beyond Air is the most likely location for new development.

As for the area around Spinball, you have Spinball, then Beastie (SBNO) and beyond that there's the old Ice Show tent and then you're into the Eye Spy Riverbank/Dung Heap area. It's actually a pretty huge space all told, but it's also a problematic area as it's almost right up against the road. Thankfully there's a good tree barrier.

Other spaces include the much touted, never touched Black Hole tent; coaster corner which stands derelict and goes from the back of Cloud Cuckoo land all the around the back of Charlie and up to Thirteen; then a new space I didn't know about, where the Zombie walkthrough was this Halloween between Spinball area and the silly golf challenge. Personally, I don't think any of those three spaces will ever be used in anger, but they are areas that could potentially hold extra room for small, new themed areas.

Of course there's the Flume area too. I don't know how much of the woodland it goes around is protected (if any of it), but just because the ride is popular doesn't mean it's not ripe for replacement. If maintenance is high and it could be replaced with some kind of different water ride, then there's a chance they may look at replacing it. Probably not too high and I'd rather they added than replaced personally.

I'd love to see some ground-hugging type ride in Katanga Canyon. I think that area of the park is beautiful, and would love to see something along of the lines of Cheetah Hunt roaming through there. (Though, not launched, no much point with Rita, but something along those lines).

^ What would be 'along those lines' Unclearly? I'm intrigued!

^I didn't realise Rita had low swooping turns and trenches??

It's OK though, I think I know what you mean.

The problem is, you couldn't get something like that to be GOOD without a launch at Alton. Otherwise it'd go at like, thirty. Ohhhh, intense.

Uncle Arly said:
I'd love to see some ground-hugging type ride in Katanga Canyon. I think that area of the park is beautiful, and would love to see something along of the lines of Cheetah Hunt roaming through there. (Though, not launched, no much point with Rita, but something along those lines).
I hate this "they already have a launch" logic. They have 6 chain lift coasters, best not get another eh?

I actually think we're looking at a Cheetah Hunt style launching coaster, too. I hope it'll ride more like Maverick though. Whilst I've not ridden CH, I think it's safe to say it's pretty tame given it's marketed at families and the general consensus of reviews. But I'm expecting a low lying launcher from alton, with inversions, directional changes and a bit of everything they can fit in. I'm hoping for Intamin, hoping for landscaping and hoping it'll have impressive length and at least two launches, but I'm doubting all that too. I mean, no reason it couldn't be Intamin, but a cheaper alternative would not surprise me. Also, if it was some other company, it could be passed off as a "world's first" easily. Though lets hope for a more iconic worlds first element!

Indeed. Weren't they reported that they said they wanted it to be a 'proper' worlds first?

What about a launched 4d terrain by B&M on the flume site? Or is that me dreaming here... Back to reality, I think Alton may have realised something, at least I have, their first big 3, Nemmie, Oblivion, Air, all B&M, all hits and for the most part, excluding Air, not maintainance headaches. Whereas Rita and Th136373946teen are maintainance headaches... also, the recent poll on their site, the 3 B&M's came in the first 3 spots and the 2 Intamins the last 2 spots. I'm leaning towards a new B&M for 2013...

Joey said:
Uncle Arly said:
I hate this "they already have a launch" logic. They have 6 chain lift coasters, best not get another eh?

Well, if Cedar Point can have two launch coasters.... :wink:

Just say the new coaster is to be built in Gloomy Wood/Katanga Canyon, a ground-hugging launch ride would be ideal. Gloomy Wood needs another ride alongside Duel, but at the same time, there are strict rules about tree removal and the building of new rides.

In fact, I'm sure AT did at one time intend on building a LIM coaster in this area, with the layout resembling a witch's broomstick.

I would like to see something done with the black hole tent, around that area. Surely that area is a decent size to fit a major coaster. Saves them cutting down more trees and it they will be able to make money on the scrap value of the old tent. Maybe something with Gerstlauer might be good, cheap but sometimes pack a punch like Anubis at Plopsa. Looking at Fluch, that was just sheer awesome =D

^Its a worlds first though that will cost in excess of £15 million. How would a gerstlaur do that unless it was completely encased in platinum?

^that included a shed load of theming in the building and larger supports than Alton would use for a coaster, ie height limits, and my point, it's not a worlds first, it's a eurofighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.